Crazy Paving 4-4-2 (11.2)

Hi

Last year I posted my first efforts in the tactics forum. Once again I decided to have a go at my own tactic for FM11. This tactic was created for Valencia on my first attempt on FM11. I then started a new game with Huddersfield on 11.1. I won back to back promotion in my first two seasons taking Town into the Premier League where we have finished 7th in each of our 4 seasons in the top flight. Last season we made the Europa League semi final and won the FA Cup. This followed a Carling cup and FA Cup final defeats to a dominant Man Utd over the previous 2 seasons. Considering the limited resources we've done really well, pretty much exclusively using this tactic.

Since 11.2 has come out I have continued with this tactic and if anything it seems even better now. In my 5th season in the Premier League we are threatening a top 4 finish. The tactic creates a decent amount of chances but also is quite solid at the back. It's a 4-4-2 with 2 wingers and I would like to see how other people find the tactic.

The tactic shape and settings:

http://img151.imageshack.us/i/huddersfieldtownhudders.png/

Fluid philosophy as I want my players to have some freedom to move around the pitch and play passing football. I've found this setting to be the most successful on any tactic I have tried.

Starting strategy is Normal. This will be changed depending on who you are playing and where. Generally I start all games like this, which yields a good amount of chances. I've not found going Attacking too useful though. Away or when we are ahead I will switch to Counter and sometimes drag the wingers back into midfield to make it a bit more solid. If I need a goal Overload creates chances but obviuosly leaves the team exposed.

Playing style is more direct. The team is set up to quickly go from back to front to expose the width or space behind the fullbacks and direct passing can open up teams and get the wingers in. However, each player has their own passing style set which is generally a shorter passing style.

Closing down is to press more. Look at Arsenal, United and Barcelona IRL, top teams that work very hard to press the ball. Good enough for them, good enough for me. Obviously you need good work rate in your players for this.

Default tackling, we're not here to murder the opposition.

As for marking, it's man to man this time. Zonal just led to us getting cut open a bit easily, but this is an area that could be experimented with. However, this has done the trick for us so far.

Crossing is set up to drill the ball in. I have 2 strikers in this set up and having an early ball to the near post seems to create the most chances.

Roaming is stick to position. I need some structure to the set up, and as we have a fluid philosophy then I don't want people doing their own thing too much.

Defensive line is to push up, but it's not too high. Clearly this keeps the back 4 and midfield closer and allows the passing game to work, but I've found the midfield work better with the defence in FM11.

Width is Normal, again keep it compact for the passing, and tempo is quicker, although we like to pass, we also want to get forward quickly.

Passing is down both flanks as the main threat will be your wingers. Counter attack is off and play offside is on, due to the higher line.

INDIVIDUAL POSITIONS

GK: Defend. Basic setup, I haven't tweaked this area as it seems ok, I like the idea of a sweeper keeper but this seems to work.

Full Backs: Automatic. I've tweaked the mentality so they are quite defensive. They are set to auto so they will not bomb on when standard or counter, but if you need a goal they will push on.

Centre Backs. Defend. This has them stay back and defend. It's important to have a bit of pace as they play higher up and obviously the usual attributes of heading, tacking and marking.

The centre mids are set up slightly differently. The right hand side one is a defensive midfielder who is set to defend. Every team needs a good ball winner, essential in modern football. He is very defensive. You need decent tackling, work rate, stamina, team work and decisions. I just want this player to win the ball and give it simple.

The left hand midfielder is central midfielder set to attack. This was developed over a few seasons and it seems to work as the wingers are set to support so he can push on a bit. He won't score many but it gets an extra body up into attacking areas. This could be changed to auto and won't affect the team.

Both wingers are set to support. Having looked at the role, it means they will be able to help the midfield out in defending and then get the ball in the box earlier to create chances. I have always had wingers on attack, but support really does seem to create more chances. It also helps keep us more solid. Clearly pace and crossing are important here, but your wingers will get a few goals too. They are the key players in your team.

Left striker is a deep lying forward. Any modern 4-4-2 now has a front man who drops a little deeper as no team can afford 2 strikers to just stand up top. He links midfield and the front and is there to provide the chances for his striking partner. However, he is set to attack, so he will get in the box and score. My lad gets 15 to 18 league goals a season which is fantastic for me.

The right hand striker is Advanced Forward set to attack. More all round then a poacher but the figure head of the team. In all competitions my lad got 37 and 38 goals the last 2 seasons, 23 and 25 in the league. He needs some pace, finishing and a bit of strength.

All my players have decent work rate, this tactic relies on a team pulling together. It seems to create a number of chances yet remain fairly solid. Obviously I can only go on about my Huddersfield team, but we had no stars when we came up, spent a lot on a good striker and the chances we created meant we won enough to finish 7th. Since then we have been building slowly with young players with a view to breaking the top 4. However I have found the Premier League stronger than previous FM games (which is better) but we've still won the FA Cup (finally beating the amazing Man Utd team in my game).

All feedback appreciated.

http://www.filefront.com/17676433/Crazy P 442 (Huddersfield, Sep 2016).tac

I really like this tactic, I've been struggling the whole second half of the season (with 16-1-0 and 3rd place in CL group stage in the first half of it) until I tried this tactic. Worked well, 3 games won, no goals lost - just after 4 lost games in a row, without scoring a single goal.

I don't use shouts, leave team talks and OI's to my assistant. Pitch size is set to just below max, so decent width. Match preparation is set for team blend.

To the guy who lst both games 5-0, I've never lost that heavily even with a pretty average side away at Man Utd or Arsenal. If you want to make the tactic a bit more solid if you're winning I go to counter or defensive and drop both wingers back into the right and left midfield position so it's a very traditional 4-4-2.

I'm not saying it's a wonder tactic, but it plays nice football, creates a good amount of chances and isn't leaky. You still have to have decent players with the correct attributes in each position (obvious ones, crossing for wingers, passing for midfielders etc).

• 2 weeks later...

I used that shape last season and rocketed up the football league with Leeds, its a nifty shape as its a mix of 4-4-2 and 4-2-4, I used Inside Forwards on attack, but this left me with a large space between the wings and full backs... now if i had used support I could have won more trophies...

• 2 weeks later...
I'm interested in giving this tactic a go. Just a quick couple of questions.....Would you change anything if you had a target man type striker and do you play Counter for every away game?

I would try the target man as the left hand side striker and see how it goes. I am tempted to give this a go myself. I don't play counter that often away now, but we have a very strong side 12 seasons in, ad I didn't use it that often. Mainly when I was 2-0 up away from home.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived