What is the first few things you do as a manager?

Says it all in the title really, when you first become a manager what are the first things you do?

For example, I put the tactic I will be using for a majority of the season in the Match Preperation screen. I then set up the training I will be using for the rest of the training, but never put all players on this schedule until 1-2 weeks before my first competitive game, leaving them on the default. Set up a scouting system so I can find young talents around the world, usually cover all regions of Europe and South America and any left over scouts I'll get to scout countries such as Brazil, Argentina, France, Holland, Spain, Italy, England etc. I try not to make any transfers unless they are VITAL, for example a tiny squad, if any transfers are made they'd be youth prospects that may be used as backup. I then create loads of friendlies, against very weak opposition, gives the team time to blend, get used to the tactic I'll be using, and also raise morale with big wins against these poor teams, before creating a final friendly at home against a team with "Similar Reputation (Foreign)" just so I get a very brief idea on where I stand with the rest of the teams around. Also renew contracts of players who expire at the end of the season, but only if they're first teamers/hot prospects. Any reserve players that have little potential I let it run down usually. I never normally look into staff signings as I usually have my reputation set as "Sunday League Footballer" meaning most decent staff would not join the club anyway.

Anyway what do you do? Ignore the fact that I often use bigger clubs (yet to do a long term save with a "small" team but will do so in the future) as it will be interesting to see what LLC managers do as well as those at the bigger teams.

Final note: What do people do about Pre-Season training? Do you leave it on default, or create a schedule?

Im pretty similar to you although I leave my training for a couple of days as I like to go through my team and find out what players I have and where I need to strengthen. At this point there are certain players that get transfer listed. I then go through my reserve and U18's and see who is in there worth of note and who isn't. Any players I need to get rid of again are notified here and numerous players are sent on loan for experience. I then work on training and match prep also working with staff or releasing who I don't need. I find I normally ask for another feeder team to send young players too so they can gain vital experience. If im a smaller team I will try and arrange a Glamour friendly for some income.

Similar to above. One thing I realised as I was playing the demo and starting up quite a few games is that the game would benefit from having a set of preferences when setting up the game. For example, I use the same training set-up and prioritise the same nations for scouting and often use tactics I've developed earlier too, as well as importing a shortlist of players I've set up for the start of the game.

I'd love it if all that could be done for me with the click of a button, so I only have to set it up once at the very beginning and then never have to worry about it again. Every time I start a new game it takes 30 minutes or more to get all that sorted out before I can actually get down to the real fun of managing my new team.

If you find it monotonous setting up teams the same way every time, why not tailor it slightly depending on the club?

Yes, there are certain things we do - set up training, formation, sell players, sign players, but surely that is the 'real fun of managing the new team'.

Archived