The AI doesn't know when it's losing

So, i watched a couple of other European games during my first season;

Barca Vs Inter- At the San Siro, Barcelona come away with a 3-1 victory. That is 3 away goals. At the Nou Camp, Inter are 2-1 up with 20 minutes to play. So what does Benitez do to try and take the game to extra time? He takes of Biabiany, an attacking player who was still quite fresh and playing well(7.1 rating), and Mariga for Santon, a defender, and Sulley Muntari, a ball winning midfield type. Coutinho was left on the bench, and there was absolutley no effort to win the match, further established when he moved from a 4-2-3-1 to a flat 4-4-2. It really appeared as though AI Rafa saw that his team wa 2-1 up at the nou camp and decided to hold the lead............when it was imperative that they score atleast one goal within 20 minutes.

Real Vs Barca- Ah yes, the champions league final. Real hammered a Villa and Bojan-less Barca for a good 45 minutes, with CR7 contriving to place his shot into Valdes' arms with every one on one situation. Barca take the lead on 56 minutes. Kaka limps off injured on 66 minutes, only to be replaced by Albiol, a frigging defender! No no said Jose, I will leave Di Maria on the bench, and replace my most attacking threat with a defender when we need a goal! Ronaldo then goes off on 76 minutes for Benzema, when in reality no sane man would take CR off when you need a goal. Benzema would come on for someone else, most definatley.

So, does the ai actually know when they are losing? Why no effort to chase the goal?

So, i watched a couple of other European games during my first season;

Barca Vs Inter- At the San Siro, Barcelona come away with a 3-1 victory. That is 3 away goals. At the Nou Camp, Inter are 2-1 up with 20 minutes to play. So what does Benitez do to try and take the game to extra time? He takes of Biabiany, an attacking player who was still quite fresh and playing well(7.1 rating), and Mariga for Santana defender, and Sulley Muntari, a ball winning midfield type. Coutinho was left on the bench, and there was absolutely no effort to win the match, further established when he moved from a 4-2-3-1 to a flat 4-4-2. It really appeared as though AI Rafa saw that his team war 2-1 up at the nou camp and decided to hold the lead............when it was imperative that they score at least one goal within 20 minutes.

Real Vs Barca- Ah yes, the champions league final. Real hammered a Villa and Bojan-less Barca for a good 45 minutes, with CR7 contriving to place his shot into Valdes' arms with every one on one situation. Barca take the lead on 56 minutes. Kaka limps off injured on 66 minutes, only to be replaced by Albiol, a frigging defender! No no said Jose, I will leave Di Maria on the bench, and replace my most attacking threat with a defender when we need a goal! Ronaldo then goes off on 76 minutes for Benzema, when in reality no sane man would take CR off when you need a goal. Benzema would come on for someone else, most definitely.

So, does the ai actually know when they are losing? Why no effort to chase the goal?

Can believe crazy rafa doing it as hes doing his best in real life to tarnish inter this season there a shadow of last year under jose ;)

Something similar happened to me.

I had already won the title and I was at home against spurs. I was playing a team full of youngsters and back ups and it was 0-0. In the second half I had a man sent off I was quite worried as I didnt think my youngster would be able to handle spurs attack while playing with 10 men. With 15 minutes left, I checked spurs formation.....and they were playing 5 at the back. They had a man advantage, against youngsters and back ups, while it was 0-0.......and the go 5 at the back.

Of course I ripped Harry after the match and we had a nice little war of words for a couple days. Good times.

June 27th 2010:

In the 70th minute, Germany scored their fourth goal, going up to 4-1.

Defoe goes off, Heskey comes in.

Tired striker for fresh big Center Forward. In a game that's dead and buried.

Nothing like OP's examples, thanks.

Something similar happened to me.

I had already won the title and I was at home against spurs. I was playing a team full of youngsters and back ups and it was 0-0. In the second half I had a man sent off I was quite worried as I didnt think my youngster would be able to handle spurs attack while playing with 10 men. With 15 minutes left, I checked spurs formation.....and they were playing 5 at the back. They had a man advantage, against youngsters and back ups, while it was 0-0.......and the go 5 at the back.

Of course I ripped Harry after the match and we had a nice little war of words for a couple days. Good times.

hehe good example, and exactly the opposite of what harry would do. Did they have anything to play for though? Did they need a win?

Maybe not like the OP but still an absolutely baffling decision. You are the only person (be that my mates, pundits, whoever) who has tried to justify Fabio's decision there. So thanks.

Exactly, it had nothing to do with my example given. Fabio is not going to take Rooney off anyway, so putting a big target man upfront actually seems logical, if a little uninspiring.

But Jose, nor anyone for that matter, would take Ronaldo off for Benzema with 15 minutes to go when you need a goal. It's just idiocy. Mourinho would take off a defender before doing that, but more likely a midfield player as it would be likely he'd have to go to extra time.

As for the Benitez example, i still assert that he thought winning a match at nou camp was enough, and the ai is not intelligent enough to acknowledge away goals/2 leg ties etc. But it's not conclusive evidence

Maybe not like the OP but still an absolutely baffling decision. You are the only person (be that my mates, pundits, whoever) who has tried to justify Fabio's decision there. So thanks.

Attempting justification for it and agreeing with it are two different things. I thought it was stupid. I still do.

But please at least compare apples with oranges.

OP's examples and the Defoe->Heskey substitution are like comparing apples with a bag of ferrets.

If England were losing that game 2-1 and we brought off Rooney for Dawson. Then he'd have a point.

People think making comparisons makes their point even if their comparison is terrible. It doesn't.

As for the Benitez example, i still assert that he thought winning a match at nou camp was enough, and the ai is not intelligent enough to acknowledge away goals/2 leg ties etc. But it's not conclusive evidence

Robert, my 2nd last game was versus Man U at Old Trafford.

They scored to go up 2-1 in the 71st minute.

Check this out.

manutdvtottenhaminforma.jpg

And that senile old codger Ferguson retired LAST SEASON!

Interesting that JohnShaft... I wonder if the AI have the same problem with us, where you can't cancel a substitution once you've confirmed it in the tactics screen - so the game plays on until the ball is out of play and then automatically makes that sub. So did the AI make the sub bringing Berbatov on to try and grab a winner, then Fletcher scored, he couldn't cancel the sub so Berba came on - and then he wanted to hold on to the lead so took him back off....

However I wouldn't have thought that would affect AI teams..... they're computers after all, I doubt they have to pre-empt a substitution!

As for the OP - I would normally be surprised at that first example... if it was anyone other than Benitez! (or perhaps Mancini as well) It is weird but I'd suggest keeping an eye on it in the future and seeing if it's a continuous thing, or whether it was just bad tactics by an apparently dimwitted manager - which does happen in real life.

In real life, only a couple of weeks ago Man City were 0-0 at home to Birmingham, and with 10 minutes to go Mancini hauled of Tevez and replaced him with Gareth Barry - a DM!! I know it's not quite the same because they weren't losing the game, but it's a game they should be looking to win and was a very baffling decision - so these things do happen.

Attempting justification for it and agreeing with it are two different things. I thought it was stupid. I still do.

But please at least compare apples with oranges.

OP's examples and the Defoe->Heskey substitution are like comparing apples with a bag of ferrets.

If England were losing that game 2-1 and we brought off Rooney for Dawson. Then he'd have a point.

People think making comparisons makes their point even if their comparison is terrible. It doesn't.

What's the difference between taking off Defoe and bringing in Heskey and taking off Defoe and bringing in Dawson? Nothing, I say! Neither action will give you any goals, unless you brought on Dawson so Terry could've joined the attack as a target man. Let's face it. You're not going to get a goal while Heskey is on the field. Ever.

Who cares? The World Cup was lost for England the moment Theo Walcott was left out....

ROFL

yeah, i'm sure walcott (i can run but can't do anything else really) is the main reason.

england is the most overrated national team in the history of football.

ROFL

yeah, i'm sure walcott (i can run but can't do anything else really) is the main reason.

england is the most overrated national team in the history of football.

You're not wrong with the last comment. However you couldn't be more wrong with your other one!

Theo is a game changer, and in all 4 games we played at South Africa we could have done with him coming on with his pace. As for the not doing much else, did his brilliant hat-trick for Arsenal earlier this season pass you by? All 3 goals were great - and don't come back with the predictable response "It was only Blackpool..." They're proving to be a great side in this division and whoever the opponents, they were class goals! He's also g.... you know what, I'm not even gonna argue it. Whatever Trevor.

Football is all about opinions, and you're fully entitled to yours on Walcott.

but you're wrong :)

Yes it's baffling, perhaps more baffling than bringing SWP on against i think it was Andorra or whatever awful team we drew against. But it's not such a terrible substitution, bringing on a big lump to get the ball to, while Rooney is still on the pitch. I can atleast see th logic.

Fabio, despite being Italian, is the most English manager we've had for 15 yrs or so. and yes, i am stereotyping.

Robert, my 2nd last game was versus Man U at Old Trafford.

They scored to go up 2-1 in the 71st minute.

And that senile old codger Ferguson retired LAST SEASON!

Perhaps he was making that sub before they scored. But yes, senile is the word when they still have berbatov in 2014. Btw, how is Kjaer working out for you? I am considering getting him for my Spurs side, although Gallas and Bassong did really well together last season. Although i cant get gallas to extend his contract

You're not wrong with the last comment. However you couldn't be more wrong with your other one!

Theo is a game changer, and in all 4 games we played at South Africa we could have done with him coming on with his pace. As for the not doing much else, did his brilliant hat-trick for Arsenal earlier this season pass you by? All 3 goals were great - and don't come back with the predictable response "It was only Blackpool..." They're proving to be a great side in this division and whoever the opponents, they were class goals! He's also g.... you know what, I'm not even gonna argue it. Whatever Trevor.

Football is all about opinions, and you're fully entitled to yours on Walcott.

but you're wrong :)

don't think I am. ;)

your argument is his pace and a hattrick he netted a few months ago?

what I wanted to say though is that england would done nothing more with walcott.

No, my argument is his hat-trick he netted a few months ago before a long term injury has seen him not start a league game since, as well as some Champions Leagues goals, a hat-trick for England and the fact his pace actually leads him somewhere as opposed to Shaun "runs down more dead-end alleys than the average wild cat" Wright-Phillips!

He's just a class act mate, and England could've done with him in South Africa, that's all. We still wouldn't have won it like........

hehe good example, and exactly the opposite of what harry would do. Did they have anything to play for though? Did they need a win?

Chelsea were breathing down their necks for second place. Thats about it.

Archived