Wallis & Futuna Islands National team

just wondered if anyone knew why they still put this national team in the database when its no longer has a National Team and havent played a game since 1995 surly its about time they took it out or replaced it with another such as the Kiribati, Micronesia, Niue or the Palau national teams

thanks in advance

I agree this is one of the weirder ones in the game. I think its in there because all french dependencies (inhabited) are with the exception St. Barthélemy but that is only recently seperated from Guadaloupe.

I think it would make sense to add some of the other missing oceanic nations, especially the sovereign states like Kiribati that are making a push to become FIFA recognised associations.

Whether some should be removed I'm not so sure though but top of the list would be Wallis & Futuna and Saint Martin both French dependencies that did not take part in the Coupe de l'Outre-Mer last month that saw Saint Pierre et Miquelon play their first ever international.

I agree this is one of the weirder ones in the game. I think its in there because all french dependencies (inhabited) are with the exception St. Barthélemy but that is only recently seperated from Guadaloupe.

I think it would make sense to add some of the other missing oceanic nations, especially the sovereign states like Kiribati that are making a push to become FIFA recognised associations.

Whether some should be removed I'm not so sure though but top of the list would be Wallis & Futuna and Saint Martin both French dependencies that did not take part in the Coupe de l'Outre-Mer last month that saw Saint Pierre et Miquelon play their first ever international.

• 2 months later...

Saint Martin played in 2010 Caribbean Cup Qualifications.

I read that Wallis & Futuna trying to re-estabilish football on international level.

I would like to see in FM teams like Palau, Kiribati, Micronesia, Niue, Marshall Islands, Saint Barthelemy, Gibraltar, Greenland, Guernsey, Jersey, Isle of Man, etc.

Saint Martin played in 2010 Caribbean Cup Qualifications.

I read that Wallis & Futuna trying to re-estabilish football on international level.

I would like to see in FM teams like Palau, Kiribati, Micronesia, Niue, Marshall Islands, Saint Barthelemy, Gibraltar, Greenland, Guernsey, Jersey, Isle of Man, etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey and Isle of Man are not affiliated with FIFA , so therefore would not be eligible for international football tournaments. Friendlies and various local FA tournaments yes, but it seems their inclusion would be a little superficial. The other nations, I'm not sure of their status.

I think the problem lies with lack of research with Oceania more than anything else. The likes of Kiribati and Palau are not FIFA members (and hence not counted in World Rankings and such) but are members of the Oceania Football Confederation.

However, other teams that are not FIFA members but members of their respective continental confederations, such as Guadeloupe, Martinique and Sint-Maarten are in the game.

Gibraltar, Isle of Man and so on are not affiliated to any continental confederations and so are not included.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_FIFA_Member_Associations

Niue, Kiribati, Micronesia and Palau are assiociated members of OFC like Tuvalu - so why not include them in game?

Gibraltar and Greenland want to join FIFA and UEFA for many years. Gibraltar was provisional member of UEFA.

FIFA help builds stadium in Greenland, which they have same political status like Faroe Islands - so why not include them in game?

Saint Barthelemy have a league and I read they want Concacaf membership.

Hi there. I am the offcial researcher for Wallis & Futuna Islands. I sure hope they won't remove the team now that you have started this post. For years I have watched every game possible in Mata-Utu, and also travelled around the countryside to see if I can find hidden gems playing in the streets or backyards. After all the blood and sweat I've put in, it would be terrible to see it all go down the drain...

Hi there. I am the offcial researcher for Wallis & Futuna Islands. I sure hope they won't remove the team now that you have started this post. For years I have watched every game possible in Mata-Utu, and also travelled around the countryside to see if I can find hidden gems playing in the streets or backyards. After all the blood and sweat I've put in, it would be terrible to see it all go down the drain...

Ok, firstly, I'm amazed that there is a need for an "official" Wallis and Futana Islands researcher. But, credence where it is due. I'm sure you have done a great job. (wink) Exactly how many players from good ol' Wallis are in the database?

Secondly, in answer to Ironmaster, Gibraltar and Greenland are not technically independent countries to begin with. They protectorates or overseas territories. Which, in itself is not an issue, but my thought is , that SI have to draw the line somewhere. And the same goes for Wallis and Futana, again not an independent nation. Why they are there, seems to be rather idiosyncratic.

Kiribati, Niue, Palau and Micronesia perhaps deserve to be included, purely on the basis of nationhood. But, what depth or nuances they would add to the game, I believe would be very limited.

Secondly, in answer to Ironmaster, Gibraltar and Greenland are not technically independent countries to begin with. They protectorates or overseas territories. Which, in itself is not an issue, but my thought is , that SI have to draw the line somewhere. And the same goes for Wallis and Futana, again not an independent nation. Why they are there, seems to be rather idiosyncratic.

Technically England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland aren't "independant countries" either. So the real test is like said, whether acknowledged or not.

Technically England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland aren't "independant countries" either. So the real test is like said, whether acknowledged or not.

Yes, true, but they have an acknowledged agreement with FIFA, basically due to their influence and/or history within the game. Whichever way you want to look at it, but it is somewhat outdated nowadays. Maybe it just proves sentiment is still alive and flourishing?

If you are then why have you not got the title of offical researcher on your account?

Surely a wind up here

Archived