Hot young players want to go to an upper club - how to make him happy?

So, took Bradford in the CC League 2, made it to League 1, and now suddenly my young left fullback has decided he wants to move to a bigger club in a higher league. I won't sell him, so now he's very poor morale and unhappy.

Is there anything I can do to make him happy with our club? We're winning, everyone else is happy, etc.

Thanks.

If you feel you can not sell him for the good of the club you can try to keep him and hope your promoted by the time his contract runs out. You can even accept his transfer request and put a large amount on it to scare of those interested. Keep playing him and hope for the best.

Depends how good he is I guess, full backs are generally replacable though.

There is what some may call a bug that you can take advantage of - i found it in a long term game I have with a CL team in a low ranked EU country, where pretty much every player wants to leave.

Basically make sure the players are signed to at least two year contracts at all times, then when they become unhappy let them be listed and put their value at something ridiculous. 9/10 times no big team will be prepared to pay that much and won't even bother bidding (which would further unsettle the player).

Give it 6 months, 12 months max and then he will say he no longer wants to be listed and he will accept a new contract, let the cycle begin again.

Obviously there's a number of factors that can be involved, not least your relationship with the player and his with you. Sometimes, when a player reveals they want to move on to a "bigger" club, the best answer can be to suggest they stay and help the club achieve it's high ambitions. That's often worked well for me.

If he's still negative though, so long as his morale and performances are good, then it's worth keeping him as long as you can, if he's a key player in your team. If he's causing problems, suffering continually low morale and his performance ratings plummet, then it might simply be best to get the biggest fee you can (with sell-on clause of course).

Archived