National Team World Rankings - is there a problem?

Just wondering if there's something wrong with the way the game works out the world rankings for national teams. I ask because Brazil are about to slip out of the top 20. I'm approaching the 2014 World Cup which, obviously, is in Brazil. Does this happen in real life when the host nation plays no competitive games in the run up? Or this a problem? Incidentally I noted the same thing on FM09 so if it isn't something that happens in real life, I can't believe it hasn't been spotted and sorted.

I could be wrong but I think friendlies do count?

Am I right in assuming that Brazil won't plunge down the world rankings in real life thanks to not playing any qualifiers?

Friendlies don't earn anywhere near the points that competitive matches do so its not strange to see host nations drop down the rankings in the two years prior to a tournament.

Brazil will lose a fair number of points in RL and will drop down the rankings its just a question of how far.

They don't make any sense in real life either so I wouldn't worry about it. For example take a pretty poor country in europe like Georgia, currently ranked 111th. Yet they have several players in top leagues around europe its just that being in UEFA they only ever play matches against other european teams and so generally lose and slip down the rankings.

This leaves countries like Oman, Botswana and Uganda at present ranked much higher despite them really not being very good at all.

BTW South Africa isn't a good example so I've looked back at Germany from 2006.

They dropped to 19th prior to hosting the World Cup.

The 2014 World Cup is three months away on my game and Brazil are 19th. So based on the evidence of Germany in 2006, it looks as if it's spot on.

Archived