Does / will FM make use of RAM above 32-bit limit (4 GB)? And quad-cores?

Hi there,

I'm about to buy a new desktop as my 4 year old laptop is creaking under the strain of FM and can't do 3D.

Going for an Core i7 860 system and weighing up whether to both paying for extra RAM - system comes with 4GB but can be increased to 8GB. Also does/will FM use the quad cores - or am I better going for a dual core system with faster cores? (i.e. get a 3.4 Ghz dual core rather than 2.66 Ghz quad core)

This is the system I intend to go for http://www.chillblast.com/pconf.php?productid=19520 Any constructive feedback gratefully received. I assume the Radeon 5850 will play the 3D matches like a dream?

I will be using 64-bit Windows 7 - why only up to 4GB? 4GB is the limit for 32-bit OS, there is no such (or it might be something silly like 100GB) for a 64-bit OS.

Do we have any idea whether FM 11 will be the same? (not really interest in FM 10 now).

Assume if FM 11 will use 4GB, then if I have 8GB iTunes and Internet Explorer can use some of the remaining 4GB and won't eat into FM's 4Gb so multi-tasking will be faster?

It still is nothing like CM01/02 when you click "continue" there is still a ******** pause which for some reason is infuriating to me, I think there is too much going on now in FM, I started a new game the other day and it was over an hour before I got to my first game!!! I want to be able to do a season in one sitting, is that so much to ask? Also Chairman mode would be good!

I think it only uses up to 4GB becuase it is still a 32 bit program. FM11 will probably be the same, there is a thread somewhere about making FM 64 bit but I think the answer was that it won't happen just yet. It will probably happen further down the line when more people are running 64 bit OS'.

If your main worry is playing FM, 8GB will be overkill. 4GB probably will be as well depending on how many leagues you want to run.

Disagree with magicmastermind124, I would always choose a quad core over a dual core, for any game, unless the money you save by going dual core allows you to get a much faster processor (in Ghz). I feel that the "Extreme Editions" of processors though are often overpriced for the speed bump you get. However it is true that the Intel i Series is not the best gaming processor out there; it is the best, however, for multitasking, which it sounds like you plan on doing while playing FM.

Whether you plan to only use it for FM or not, I'd personally always buy the best you can afford. Just because FM10 and probably FM11 are 32bit, who's to say FM12 or 13 will be? The better the PC you buy now, the longer it'll last in terms of 'outdating'

Whether you plan to only use it for FM or not, I'd personally always buy the best you can afford. Just because FM10 and probably FM11 are 32bit, who's to say FM12 or 13 will be? The better the PC you buy now, the longer it'll last in terms of 'outdating'

I agree here. I just bought a new system myself, as my old system was purchased 6 to 7 years ago. The only thing I upgraded in that whole time was the graphics card half way through the years owned. So look at it this way I purchase a middle line system 6 to 7 years ago, and was able to run pretty much everything I wanted to till about a year ago. So if you buy the best system you can afford now it will last you for some time. Where as if you don't you will be needing upgrades in short amounts of time.

There is no game using all 4 cores that I know of. There is a rumor that Crysis2 will.

So I really doubt that FM merchandise will use all 4 cores in foreseeable future.

Actually software that uses all 4 cores are very limited. Some of them IIRC:

Lightwave

3D Studio MAX

Sony Vegas

etc.

Archived