An attribute for saving penalties ????

How about including a goalkeepers' attribute for saving penalties in future versions of the game ??

There have been quite a number of goalies who have saved more than their average fair share, and who could theefore be classed as good at saving pens or making the taker miss them,

Lev Yashin

Mark Wallington

Pepe Reina

Hilario

Buffon

etc etc

And while we are at it, in the current version of FM, whenever a goalie makes a pen save/puts the striker off, their is absolutely NO visible increase in the goalies rating for the match.

That def needs addressing.

Is it not more luck then a set skill for keepers saving penalties... sure 8/10 times keepers save peno's because it was a poor penailty by the taker..

if a goalkeeper guesses right he has a chance of saving it unless its right in the corners or has enough power to beat the keeper..

I'm not sure about this because it's not like goalkeepers face penalties all the time, unlike shots. Nor do they really face them in different scenarios - shootouts always occur in big games, meaning things like pressure and important matches attributes play a part. Also those goalkeepers you list happen to be really good goalkeepers - maybe it suggests good goalkeepers are (shock horror) better at saving penalties?

I'm not sure about this because it's not like goalkeepers face penalties all the time, unlike shots. Nor do they really face them in different scenarios - shootouts always occur in big games, meaning things like pressure and important matches attributes play a part. Also those goalkeepers you list happen to be really good goalkeepers - maybe it suggests good goalkeepers are (shock horror) better at saving penalties?

Mark Wallington was an average goalie, who played in a v average Leicester team, yet he was a whizz at saving penalties. If he had been a great goalie, he wouldn't have been playing for the likes of Leicester.

I know it's not the point but i've always thought penalty saving was the worst aspect of Buffon's game, certainly not on a par say with Dida (in Italian football) in that area.

Yeah, but where is Dida's stat to say that he is good at pen saving ??

The game wouldn't actually differentiate Dida from any other keeper in the game when it came to saving a pen.

Wouldn't it be a combination of reflexes, decisions, one on ones, concentration, positioning, agility, anticipation, etc?

It is, those stats plus general luck basically make every keeper's chance of saving a penalty about 35%. I think we'd be looking too much into it to add another stat.

What about Lehmann's famous save against Argentina, and in fact that whole shoot out? It doesn't fit the "silly goalkeepers just rely on luck" theory at all. Some keepers are better in shoot outs (and penalties in general) than others, just like some players take a better penalty than others. A player with high finishing/composure/etc won't necessarily take a good pen, because they could have a rubbish penalty taking attribute. There should be a similar attribute for goalkeepers in my opinion.

What about Lehmann's famous save against Argentina, and in fact that whole shoot out? It doesn't fit the "silly goalkeepers just rely on luck" theory at all. Some keepers are better in shoot outs (and penalties in general) than others, just like some players take a better penalty than others. A player with high finishing/composure/etc won't necessarily take a good pen, because they could have a rubbish penalty taking attribute. There should be a similar attribute for goalkeepers in my opinion.

Lehmann had a piece of paper with the preferences of the shooters on. One of the players who wasn't on there (Rodriguez?) got psyched by seeing him looking at it :p So that wasn't a case of him being better at penalty saving, but his coach researching the particular players' preferences.

I'd generally agree, though maybe a PPM is more fitting as it's hard to say more than "great/average".

Archived