How do you play this game?

I thought I'd share with you how I approach a new game usually and see if it's anything like most of you are doing. I'm pretty sure it's not the best or maybe even a good way of playing the game that's why I'd be interested to see how you handle those phases yourself. Here goes:

(I'll use as an example a regular club, not rich, not poor but I do use this scenario in all clubs)

- When I sign with the club I immediately go to the staff search screen and determine which the best staff I can get is by playing with the numbers. For example I search for a 20 PA scout. Then go lower and lower until I determine what's the best scout I can get for my level. Same with other staff positions.

- I sack all of my current staff, unless some of them make it at the level I am capable of according to the above search. I click on the "offer new contract" for each staff category "coach", "physio", "scout" etc. so I can read what are my staff slots - like 5 coaches max, 3 scouts.

- After that I hire replacements of the sacked ones and go to the most important person without whose help I can't make anything - the assistant manager. I look for the maximum in PA/CA and at least 10-5 tactical knowledge. For me having a 20/20 PA/CA assman is a big relief because he can tell me right away whether a player is good enough or not and saves me some time on even bothering to scout.

- After this happens I evaluate all my current players through my new staff and coaches. Mark the ones who must go and transfer list/offer them to clubs without hesitation. I fire all the young/reserve ones who are appalling. Then see who my star players are and use them as base to form the team core.

- Decide on what tactic to use. Sadly I'm very conservative and usually go with a custom made 4-4-2 almost always it just feels so right :D I create the tactic put my core players in and find them the most suiting role. Then see what positions I have to fill in.

- Search the market for freebies/transfer listed players which could do the job and only then jump to some regulars if I'm really desperate and in need of a player to fill a gap. I use some of the youth guys as well. I try to have a backup for each position and maybe 2-3 for the players who easily injure.

- As for training I use Tug's training schedules because I really can't be bothered to create my own it's too much and I have no interest in that part of the game. I just make sure I have a good balance of coaches all around. Recently I started using some other schedules from these forums for developing young guys that concentrate heavily on fitness.

- Cancel all useless team affiliations and search for new ones that bring profit.

- I let the assman arrange friendlies and play them himself. I don't usually play them because I'm still in the hunt for players or staff during that time.

- And then it's season time. I kick off with my new team and tactics and it usually starts so-so until the team gels and gets used to the new way of playing. Sometimes it starts really bad but usually I get things fixed as I go on.

Basically that's how I play. I'd love to hear how you are doing this and especially the more old-school pro players :D

I could have wrote this. Thats exactly how I start every game.

I mostly play as Man Utd so getting coaches/scouts isnt really a propblem but I do go and sack all the dead wood straight away and transfer list any players I know I want to sell.

Then I'll go and search for any regens that may have been made at the start of the game (usually Germans) and any other players I know I want.

I also use Tugs Training for the reason you stated but recently ive been thinking of making custom schedules for my really good youngsters to focus more on the physical side when younger then move to technical when they are older.

Man Utd have a lot of affiliations that i dont need and serve no purpose, like Newcastle Town and Altringham.

I also let the ass man play the friendlies but I set my tactic up before hand and holiday over the game so the ass man uses my tactic, that way the team is ok for the start of the season.

Its funny because when I get to the press conference for me taking over and they ask about removing dead wood, ive already done it.

No matter who I play with, the first thing I always do with a new team is to check their finances.

Finances are obviously the key driving force behind every decision I need to make in the administration of the team. If I am a big club with a load of money I can terminate staff and player contract at my leisure, because I can easily afford to and make up the cash in prize money later on. But if I'm a smaller team with not a lot of money, I find that sacking all the rubbish staff and releasing players is not prudent. Especially when that after three or four years of building, I'm going to have to overhaul my staff regardless of who I bring in season one.

Once I determine how much breathing space I have financially, I then start playing around the team. Once I get all of the players I want; which usually happens in the space of two or three weeks ideally, I design my tactics around my team.

Once I get all of the players I want; which usually happens in the space of two or three weeks ideally, I design my tactics around my team.

Hmm that's a bit strange to me - doesn't it work the other way around? I always design my tactic first, fit my 3-4 core players with the best duty I can set for them.. and then see what gaps I need to fill and get new players according to tactic.

I mainly Play as the Gers.

Usually, I don't rock the boat. i just take my seat and scan the entire club like a terminator!

With Rangers most of the backstaff only have 1 season left in them so i tend to just let them work the last year and then bring in an entirely new look behind the scenes during the 2nd pre-season.

I look very closely at my players and see who the ring leaders are. then basically massage them out of the club and then bring in a new/able/hungry player and make him captain.

I've always thought that my way of playing is such a contrast to how those players are use to playing that it causes a big enough problem without causing even more by fire-sale changes.

However, If my staff aren't upto scratch with the youth, then i'll usually take care of the kids myself and bring them on for the first season. My backstaff usually say most of them are rubbish but this only confirms that i should sack wich ever backroom monkey spouted that nonsence.

So in summary i just go in, let everyone continue their work, play the way i want them to and bring on the youth.

You could say i'm the kinda manager that lets them prove themselves.

That being said, if i accidently peeve someone off, say the captian by removing his armband and he kicks up, i refuse to reload and try again, i'll do everything in my power to win that arguement. I'll usually let them knock around in the reserves and let them prove themselves in minor cup games.

on the money side of things i like to work with the youth and give them a chance rather than blow stupid money on players. I don't know why but i just refuse to spend anything more than 6m on a player. If someone is 22m and superb, i'll happily declare interest and wait 2 years for their contract to run out and in the meantime i'll give a kid that players future role so he has atleast some first team experience.

There we have it. Thats how i play my games.

ps. I also have this weird need to keep reducing the wage bill.at the end of every transfer window i aim to have my wage bill reduce if only by £50 from some chumpy youth player. I also never behave like a back alley hooker when big teams come for my players, i'll deal tough!

They want one of my big first team players? then i want someone from their team of equal standing. this almost sends them home moaning.

Then when they want my youth star, i tell them they can have mine for nothing so long as i get theres for nothing. You'll notice through my management style very little money is spent by myself. But i will spend if i have to and i believe the player to be well worth it.

- I let the assman arrange friendlies and play them himself. I don't usually play them because I'm still in the hunt for players or staff during that time.

you should arrange the friendlys yourself you can bring in some much needed cash..which can help you team if they are a small club

Hmm that's a bit strange to me - doesn't it work the other way around? I always design my tactic first, fit my 3-4 core players with the best duty I can set for them.. and then see what gaps I need to fill and get new players according to tactic.

It depends on who I'm managing, I suppose. More often than not I'm always one team that I'm very familiar with and therefore I always have an idea of what tactic I want to play. For example, if I'm managing Arsenal I always know that I want to play either 4-4-2 or 4-2-4 and being the team I've supported for a long time I have a clear picture of whom I want and need to sign.

But beyond that, you would be correct. If I'm working with a less familiar team I would decide on a formation that makes best of my best players, and then bring in the required players to fill the gaps, as you say.

Regardless of both cases, I always play with a back four so if I see the team needs another defender, I will go get him even before I develop attackers.

No matter who I play with, the first thing I always do with a new team is to check their finances.

This is always the first thing I do.

Then I check the playing squad, transfer and loan list some of them, see what formation I can use with the current squad and I check the player search if I need to plug some holes.

Then I set up my pre-season training schedules and look at my coaches to see if they're good enough. If I can afford it I fire the bad ones and find some better ones.

Then I do the same thing with my physios and scouts.

Then I ask for a new feeder club. I always keep any old ones, at least for one season.

Then I hit continue for the first time and I play all my friendlies myself in order to get to know my players and get them used to my defending and attacking tactics.

That's what I do before the season starts :)

That's the second thing I do. First thing I do is to check how much debt the club has. I look at the squad, get rid of deadwood players and bad staff, set-up tactics, find affiliations, and set the ass man to find the friendlies and I sometimes play them (maybe if I'm at a new club) but usually I don't. Then I press continue. :)

That's the second thing I do. First thing I do is to check how much debt the club has. I look at the squad, get rid of deadwood players and bad staff, set-up tactics, find affiliations, and set the ass man to find the friendlies and I sometimes play them (maybe if I'm at a new club) but usually I don't. Then I press continue. :)

Isnt that checking finances? So its the first thing you do :thup:

- First off i go and check the finances see what money i have to spend if i need to sell anyone reduce wages etc.

- off to the U18s and i check them all out getting a coaching report on them, anyone i deem wont make the grade are put up for sale at thier values

- into the first team and everyone is relegated to the reserves (makes it easier in the next few steps)

- put in my tactic an attacking 4-1-2-3

- sort through each individual position checking all the players in the newly expanded reserve squad promoting each player who i want to keep

- all remaining players in the reserve squad is put up for sale to create income

- then to the staff - work out who gives me the best rating anyone not reciving atleast a 3 star is fired

- staff search screen and replacement staff are sought

- player search screen and reinforcements and quality replacements are looked for

- Assistant is sack and KEvin Ball appointed my Assistant

- Affiliates are cancelled if i dont think i can get a decent link

- replacemtns requested

- friendlies cancelled

- a tour of Ireland is always set up regardless of who i am then about 3/4 more games which the assistant takes control of

After starting a game and gaining a club I:

1) Tend to leave the staff in place till the end of the first season then I have a clear out.

2) I go 4-4-2; unfortunately it seems to be the unwanted child of fm2010.

3) I go through the squad and transfer list and offer out every single player who I do not deem to be a first 11 or a youth player with a bit of quality about them already (Sometimes the squad are so bad that I have transfer listed everyone minus one or two players).

4) Tugs Training, definately.

5) If no one wants my cast offs, I offer them out a few more times slowly reducing the value and then, on loan with 100% wage to be paid, and then finally release them if it is financially reasonable to do so.

6) During #3 & #5 I go through the unattached players then transfer listed players to see if there is anyone I want / can afford. I offer contracts to all unattached who would improve my team even if the assistant thinks they would not come as occassionally they will, especially when you attempt to sign about 100 players :p. Obviously when playing a rich team a different course applies as there is less dead wood to deal with, in which case I skip to #7

7) The further #6 progresses and the first 11 get filled up the more targeted I am with signings, where there is money to spend I try to look for players with actual quality to fill those gaps.

8) I usually spend a season with a team unable to kick a ball as a result, so it is probably not the best model to follow :D

I also leave the assistant to manage the friendlies, and when performances inevitably start to go sour I send the assistant to the press conferences to take the flak.

Isnt that checking finances? So its the first thing you do :thup:

You know what I mean. :p

I can't view finances if I'm not the manager, so I check the estimated club value (including the debt) and facilities without actually looking at the 'books' so to speak.

Archived