Upgrading From FM08 To FM10- 3D Letdown?

I plan on moving up to FM10 when the new patch is released. After reading posts on this forum, it appears there are a sizable number of users who are not that entralled with the 3d display of matches. Watching videos of FM10 myself, it appears that it is hard to tell who is who after a time if a player's name is not displayed above him. The 2d view of FM08 I have truly appreciated; namely watching tactics at work and knowing where each player is on the pitch by simply looking at their numbered dot. I remember the hype of forum posters before FM09 was released of the 3d view, that it would revolutionize the game. But it seems to me, after following opinions on this forum, that the reality has not matched the hyperventilation. I consider the tactical aspects of the FM series the most enjoyable part of the simulation. Will I be letdown with the 3d view of matches? Is a CAMRAD membership in my future?

If there's one thing I've learned from the few years I've been at these forums for FM, it's that most people here blow things way, way, way out of proportion - whether good or bad. The 3D engine was never intended to revolutionize anything (especially not in it's first and second years of existence), nor is it nearly as bad as a lot of people are making it out to be.

Your own opinion is the best one you'll get, so try the demo and see what you think.

I plan on moving up to FM10 when the new patch is released. After reading posts on this forum, it appears there are a sizable of users who are not that entralled with the 3d display of matches. Watching videos of FM10 myself, it appears that it is hard to tell who is who after a time if a player's name is not displayed above him. The 2d view of FM08 I have truly appreciated; namely watching tactics at work and knowing where each player is on the pitch by simply looking at their numbered dot. I remember the hype of forum posters before FM09 was released of the 3d view, that it would revolutionize the game. But it seems to me, after following opinions on this forum, that the reality has not matched the hyperventilation. I consider the tactical aspects of the FM series the most enjoyable part of the simulation. Will I be letdown with the 3d view of matches? Is a CAMRAD membership in my future?

yes you will love it.............there are faults and some will moan(I suppose its being subjective/objective if it effects me its rubbish..if it doesnt its great:rolleyes:) but come on each version in the series has moved on ...and this is a great advancement:D

get game now before 10.3 you can get used to game before patch comes out;)

The 3d is pretty basic but that was never the point as others have said.

If you have a large widescreen monitor and play with the furthest away view option (sorry I never remember their proper names) then it is a pretty good experience.

The close-in view is horrible and should be avoided because:

1. it makes you feel sick and...

2. you can't see the position of all the players so it is next to useless as a management aid.

Like most things on the newest version of the game, it grows on you and once you find the view that you like, it will be difficult to go back to 2D IMO. It is never going to be like watching real football, but as a gaming experience, it is not bad. As was said above, try the demo and judge for yourself.

Archived