'May want a new challenge'

What am I suppose to do when this pops up on one of my player's Short-term Plans? So far i've just been getting the players to sign a new contract to combat this but it keeps coming back every year. Is there anyway to stop this or do I just have to keep getting them to sign new contracts? FM09 btw.

I had this problem with Vidic and Evra. Real Madrid kept offering money and saying good things about the players. He played in all my games and everything still no change. So i gave him a massive wage increase with some good bonuses. He said no. So i gave up and offered him to Real Madrid for £30 million. They said no. Then i offered Vidic the same contract for 5 years and he accepted (same with evra). His happiness now : Happy to have a new contract.

Just happens..not much you can do. You can leave them be, and the issue will keep popping up, and other clubs will offer for them, and they'll get mad if you reject..or you can get rid of them.

Happened in my game nearly once or twice every year, started as Chelsea, won basically everything year in and year out..

2nd year Alex, shipped him to R.M. for $25 mil

3rd year Ashley Cole, shipped to Man City for $55 mil

4th year Zhirkov and Cech, Cech to City for $50 mil, Zhirkov to Liverpool for $55 mil

6th year Mikel and Ivanovic, Mikel to Liverpool for $45 mil, keeping Ivanovic for now.

For whatever reason, it seems to be exclusively the defending half of the positions that want new challenges (DM, DLRC, GK) from my experience.

And the new contract thing is rubbish. When Zhirkov wanted a new challenge I didn't wanna get rid of him, so I offered him a contract worth more than he asked, penned him for like 4 more years, gave him a $10 mil bonus, and a few months later the same crap popped up. Assman told me again I should offer him a more lucrative contract...I responded by sacking the assman.

Archived