Changes to reflect transfer policy in Italy

I've been playing FM for some time now and the thing which dissapoints me most is that in Serie A the manager seems to have full control over transfers.

Now in RL clubs in Serie A in particular ordinarilly have transfer guru's, Football directors so on and so forth who determine who comes and who leaves the club, whereas the manager only plays a peripheral role in the procurement of players.

All I'm saying is that FM ought to make changes so that transfer policy reflects this.

Please give your opinion of this, thank you

I'd have a serious problem with an AI director of football choosing my transfer targets for me. With the best in the world, there are some 'issues' with the AI being able to build teams successfully. While it may level the playing field somewhat, I think it would also reduce the amount of hair I currently have ;)

I agree that it would suck the fun out of it, but perhaps managers can take a wishlist to the board and the board then determine who to procure, who not to and how much to spend from that list whereas some other transfers are determined by other figures at the club.

Would be interesting to turn it around the other way and able to be appointed as Director of Football? I know many people who play FM merely for the buying/selling of players and holiday all the games. Not my cup of tea though.

Don't really play that way either but would be a nice option. :thup:

I'd prefer it as an option in Team Settings. So you could ask your board to appoint a Director of Football because you are hopeless at signing players, and then tinker with the level of interference (i.e. the Director of Football could sign and sell; simply sign; simply sell; present you with options to sign and you must choose; or simply operate as a scout). The Director of Football could also do your scouting for you. A Director of Football may be able to save you a bit of cash with his contacts through agents.

football directors are becoming more and more popular. in argentina they started to appear in big clubs as well. however what i've seen happen there is that the head coach makes a "wish-list" of the reinforcements he wants for the new season, and the football director negotiates those signings - or not, depending on how his negotiations go or the budget he has available; but the point is they work closely with the head coach to determine alternatives and what not.

In Italy the role of Manager doesn't exist, or at least not in the capacity we play it in FM.

Usually the "Manager" is more like a Head Coach, in charge of the tactical side of the game and of the training.

He can give some inputs about which players he might want/need, but ultimately it's either the Director of Football or the Board who'll take care of the actual negotiations and acquisitions.

I'd really like the option to play FM that way... It's too easy winning when YOU have carefully scouted and handpicked every single member of the team, according to your needs and likings.

Let's try to be successful despite the DoF/Board buying you a mediocre Target Man, while you wanted two wingers, and they even INSIST you to play the awful midfielder they're fond of and they spend big money fot last summer.

I think an option to play the game this way would be nice, as it is realistic. But I wouldn't want to have to play that way if I didn't want to. Certainly it'd provide a nice alternative challenge.

Archived