Composure...

I wonder what the official interpretation is on this? is it just for strikers in front of goal? I wonder?

To me players like Pirlo, Fletcher, Carrick and many others have very high composure but in FM is it a relevant quality? because these don't have actual David Villa like composure. Do we have an official understanding?

Composure is an important stat for every player, especially for strikers. It just affects players in different ways. For a midfielder or defender, it may affect his decision making when being pressured. For a striker, it would affect his 'composure' infront of goal or when holding the ball up. Decisions is obviously an attribute that may work in unison with this in some situations.

There will never be an official word on how exactly every single attribute work together in the match engine. I don't even know if I'm correct but that's how I've approached it for as long as I've played.

You're right about the players you mention because it is important for playmakers. They need composure to pick out a good pass while under pressure. Ball-playing defenders need it to control the ball and look for a pass rather than hoof it up the pitch. Goalkeepers need it too. As swed says, it's useful for all players - it's about being calm under pressure.

Basically it's important for any player who will be under pressure. Period. And I can think of 11 positions who are under pressure during a game.

However, the defenders are less so because when the ball is coming at you, it's all about "concentration" and they are usually able to make easy passes from the back under less pressure. The strikers however, will almost always be under some sort of pressure. So it's more important for others.

The player’s steadiness of mind and ability, particularly with the ball. When faced with a big goalscoring chance or heavy pressure defensively, a player with high composure will be able to keep his head and more often than not make an intelligent decision which is beneficial to the team.

From the manual.

But what about Decisions? ;)

If my player has 18 Composure but 6 Decisions, or the other way around, what are the odds he'll screw up?

If Composure is "the ability to make an intelligent decision" and Decisions is the one of making an intelligen decision, what's the difference?

Low Composure and High Decisions = smart decision but poorly executed?

High Composure and Low Decisions = weel executed but stupid decision?

Decisions:

The ability of a player to make a correct decision a majority of the time. This attribute is important in every position but perhaps more so for central defenders and midfielders, who will see a lot of the ball and have a number of options when in possession.

Composure impacts on Decision making and on move execution. Decision making is the players ability to make Decisions and Composure is his ability to make those Decisions under pressure as well as executing a clean and accurate strike of the ball. A player with Decisions 6 and Composure 20 should not be making Decisions like a Decisions 20 player, he should be making Decisions like a Decisions 6 player no matter how much pressure he is under.

If you imagine Decisions as a sliding skill of player intelligence with 1 being thick and 20 being genius, then Composure is a sliding scale of Decisions under pressure with 1 being unable to remain calm and think clearly ever and 20 being ice cold and thinking straight even when Martin Keown is pretending to be a monkey in your face.

Ontop of that Composure affects the quality of a strike of the ball. The higher a players Composure the better connection he will make with the ball under pressure, resulting in less deviation from the intended target. Players with low Composure are not only likely to miss when shooting, they are also likely to over or under hit a pass to a team mate.

As usual, the manual is vague although accurate.

Archived