Amusing Results

Let me begin by saying that this is not a knock on the game, I don't expect it to be perfectly realistic. But I just happened to see this and it made me chuckle a little bit:

martiniquevcolombia.png

First of all, this game would never happen. Colombia would never play Martinique. Martinique is not even a full FIFA member. Secondly, there is even less of a chance that they would travel to Martinique for the match. And finally, Colombia would most likely score as many goals as they wanted against those cupcakes. There is no way in the good name of science that Colombia would lose such a fixture.

Football can bring up surprises. I seem to remember several big teams this year who have been beaten by the small fry in the Prem.

True, but the gap between the top and bottom of the EPL pales in comparison to the chasm between Colombia and Martinique.

I find these kind of responses funny on here. People make a post which ISNT KNOCKING the game, and they get sarcastic responses. All the OP mentions is how it's an "amusing" result, and he gets all these examples of how it happens irl.

Well lets look at some others. Have Tanzania beaten Ghana? Andorra beaten France? San Marino beaten Brazil in the World Cup final?

I find these kind of responses funny on here. People make a post which ISNT KNOCKING the game, and they get sarcastic responses. All the OP mentions is how it's an "amusing" result, and he gets all these examples of how it happens irl.

Well lets look at some others. Have Tanzania beaten Ghana? Andorra beaten France? San Marino beaten Brazil in the World Cup final?

Or Leeds beaten Man Utd?

Yea, I'm not knocking the game. I love the game. It's impossible for SI to make it perfect. I just thought this result was funny. Martinique winning was only part of it. The fact they even played one another is silly enough in itself, and in Martinique no less. The match itself would not happen. Martinique only competes in CONCACAF tournaments. They are not eligible for World Cup qualifying because they are not a full FIFA member, and as such no one schedules them for friendlies. So it was just the combination of all these that amused me.

The example of Leeds beating United is not in the same arena because, for one, Leeds has some history of success, and it is plausible that they would play one another (obviously). It would be like Manchester United traveling to a 3rd division side from Libya, and then losing. Why the sam hill would they even play that game, and then how in the F did they lose?

The example of Leeds beating United is not in the same arena because, for one, Leeds has some history of success, and it is plausible that they would play one another (obviously). It would be like Manchester United traveling to a 3rd division side from Libya, and then losing. Why the sam hill would they even play that game, and then how in the F did they lose?

Maybe they had a lot of 1st team injuries, and fielded a side of backup players?

Maybe they had a lot of 1st team injuries, and fielded a side of backup players?

There is no configuration of players on United's squad that allows a loss to a 3rd Division Libyan club to make sense. Similarly, Colombia could call up a squad of players from their domestic second division and handle Martinique with comical ease.

There is no configuration of players on United's squad that allows a loss to a 3rd Division Libyan club to make sense. Similarly, Colombia could call up a squad of players from their domestic second division and handle Martinique with comical ease.

Okay then, maybe Columbia played c**p on the day, and Martinique had a good outing.

Your point was that it would never happen.

Everyone else's point was that anything can happen in football.

Well, using "anything can happen in football" as a guide, the likely hood of this match even taking place is about equal to the probability of Susan Boyle scoring the winner for Bournemouth in the Champions League final on a diving header, let alone the result. But hey, like you said, anything can happen in football.

Well, using "anything can happen in football" as a guide, the likely hood of this match even taking place is about equal to the probability of Susan Boyle scoring the winner for Bournemouth in the Champions League final on a diving header, let alone the result. But hey, like you said, anything can happen in football.

All right then. :cool:

Anything can happen in football:

• Spencer Trapp broke his neck during a football match, and continued to play.
  • Javon Camon died during a football match.
  • Liverpool were expected to copy their brilliant form from last season. Instead, they have languished in the Prem and have been knocked out of the CL in the group stages.
  • Leeds 1-0 Man Utd

Pardon?

IMHO :

1. This is a friendly. FIFA has nothing to do with it (e.g: Catalonia vs Argentina IRL)

2. Eventough Martinique is not a member of FIFA, they are a member in CONCACAF & CFU.

3. Martinique has history. They managed to enter quarter final for gold cup in 2002.

4. Martinique beat Colombia is not unrealistic. Amusing, yes. But not unrealistic given facts above.

IMHO :

1. This is a friendly. FIFA has nothing to do with it (e.g: Catalonia vs Argentina IRL)

2. Eventough Martinique is not a member of FIFA, they are a member in CONCACAF & CFU.

3. Martinique has history. They managed to enter quarter final for gold cup in 2002.

4. Martinique beat Colombia is not unrealistic. Amusing, yes. But not unrealistic given facts above.

Furthermore, Martinique have also won the Caribbean Cup, and according to wiki, have an elo ranking of 115. OK, so they're not the greatest side on the planet, but far from pushovers.

The thing about all of their success in the CFU and Gold Cups is that they used French players who would not be eligible for international friendlies. Which is why Martinique doesn't play any. Also, their success in the gold cup was based on a singular 1-0 victory over a T&T squad that was not full strength.

If Martinique fielded all players from there or with roots there (including those already capped for France) which would be elligible they would be a pretty decent side.

They would be decent, but they can't field all players with roots there because anyone who is any good chooses to play for France, and zero of their players are eligible to play in a FIFA sanctioned friendly because they are not a FIFA member. They can only participate in CONCACAF or CFU competitions, i.e., the CFU Championship or the Gold Cup.

Archived