Offsides taking the mickey?

Is it just me or are the offsides a little off? I'm on 10.2 but its been like this since release. A player will get called offside when he's not in play. Example, the ball gets lofted into the box to a player who is onside, but play is stopped because of the player who is offside who isn't interfering with play.

I've lost 2 games and drawn another 2 this season (played 10) because of these offsides getting called... its most annoying. I'm in the BSP as Rushden so naturally I need to take the points when I can but when a player is open on goal but isn't allowed to shoot because someone else is offside it begins to take the whatsname.

Is this just me or are others noticing it?

Regarding the beach ball incident, all the pundits seem to think that the goal should be allowed... to quote (from Law 5: FIFA - The Laws of the Game):

The Referee:

• enforces the Laws of the Game

• controls the match in cooperation with the assistant referees and, where

applicable, with the fourth official

• ensures that any ball used meets the requirements of Law 2

• ensures that the players’ equipment meets the requirements of Law 4

• acts as timekeeper and keeps a record of the match

• stops, suspends or abandons the match, at his discretion, for any

infringements of the Laws

stops, suspends or abandons the match because of outside

interference of any kind

• stops the match if, in his opinion, a player is seriously injured and ensures

that he is removed from the field of play. An injured player may only return

to the field of play after the match has restarted

• allows play to continue until the ball is out of play if a player is, in his

opinion, only slightly injured

• ensures that any player bleeding from a wound leaves the fi eld of play. The

player may only return on receiving a signal from the referee, who must be

satisfied that the bleeding has stopped

• allows play to continue when the team against which an offence has been

committed will benefit from such an advantage and penalises the original

offence if the anticipated advantage does not ensue at that time

• punishes the more serious offence when a player commits more than one

offence at the same time

• takes disciplinary action against players guilty of cautionable

and sending-off offences. He is not obliged to take this action immediately

but must do so when the ball next goes out of play

• takes action against team officials who fail to conduct themselves in a

responsible manner and may, at his discretion, expel them from the field of

play and its immediate surrounds

• acts on the advice of the assistant referees regarding incidents that he has

not seen

• ensures that no unauthorised persons enter the field of play

• indicates the restart of the match after it has been stopped

• provides the appropriate authorities with a match report, which includes

information on any disciplinary action taken against players and/or team

officials and any other incidents that occurred before, during or after the

match

I believe i can recall when a member of SI said to be able to sort out the offside properly will be difficult, making players inactive and active would be hard.

Usually in my game, I hardly see offsides being ruled but when it happens its annoying indeed but i understand how difficult it may become. About the beach ball, the goal should have been disallowed as the person above as got evidence to prove why.

The rule only makes it clear that the ref should have stopped the game earlier to remove the ball, it doesn't say anything about the legality of the goal. The ref himself is considered a "dead" object, if a goal is scored when it bounces off him it stands, so the ball would be the same thing, even though he failed to stop play to remove the ball earlier.

The rule only makes it clear that the ref should have stopped the game earlier to remove the ball, it doesn't say anything about the legality of the goal.

No, the game should be stopped at the moment the external object becomes an influence on the game. The object must be removed and the game restarted with a dropped ball.

The ref himself is considered a "dead" object, if a goal is scored when it bounces off him it stands, so the ball would be the same thing, even though he failed to stop play to remove the ball earlier.

The referee is not considered an "outside interference" but more a fixture of the pitch, like corner flags and goalposts. Players can play off the corner flags and the ball is still deemed to be in play.

if you are in blue square premier bad referring is part of the game. i see stevenage borough a fair amount and the refereeing standard is abominable at times, you really have to just suck it up

Got to agree with this. The referee at Tamworth today had an absolute mare, seems common place in the Blue Square Prem, and as such the game seems to reflect this well.

As a referee myself, I can get very frustrated when the guy offside is a million mile from the ball scratching is a** and still gets flagged. Must've cost me 15 points over the course of a season.

Archived