help needed! a bug or bad tactics?

hi, i have been playing the demo for a while now, had a very good pre-season agaisnt higher and lower opp. but for some strange reason i have played two games so far this season, and i LOST 6-1 at home to swindon and 9-1 away to cardiff?! how is this possible please? i know people will say its your tactics, but surely? i mean i will accept its my tactics if somebody can offer me a tactic which at least doesnt produce embarrasing results like that? really not sure if its a bug.. one thing i did notice though, everytime the opp kicked the ball foward, it would go straight over my defence and there would be a one on one. this happened alot, but not all the goals where from this.. its dissapointing because i dont want my FM2010 experiience to be ruined already but surely even 9-1 and 6-1 is a bit unrealistic?

Clearly there is something wrong, not with the game but the way you are playing it. You havent given any clue about who you are playing with or the formation or tactic that you are playing but start with the tactics creator and develope a defensive one tailored to the strengths of your players.

Im guessing your a League One team and Cardiff was in the League cup. 9-1 does seem extreme( in real life you may see 7-1 7-0) but they have clinical strikers in Chopra,McCormak and Bothroyd and play at a higher level, So they might punish you if your wide open and defenders are not organised so that could explain how they could score 9 against you.

yeah sorry, im currently gillingham and in the first game i played 4-4-2 dimond, obiously didnt work so i switched to 4-3-3 for the cardiff game, ( more like a 4-5-1 with the two wide men).. i did have my defenders pushing up, until i was 4-0 down and made them sit as deep as possible. the lil hoof ball still managed to go over all my men and too the oppostition, any links to any tactics if possible? i may have been too attacking.

yeah sorry, im currently gillingham and in the first game i played 4-4-2 dimond, obiously didnt work so i switched to 4-3-3 for the cardiff game, ( more like a 4-5-1 with the two wide men).. i did have my defenders pushing up, until i was 4-0 down and made them sit as deep as possible. the lil hoof ball still managed to go over all my men and too the oppostition, any links to any tactics if possible? i may have been too attacking.

This ME punishes you more for bad tactical decisions- play about and get 3 good formations for against better/same/worse teams- make sure your players are versatile enough to fit these formations or at least your subs bench.

Decide on each match strategy- default for promotion side= control, mid-table=standard, bottom half=counter. Change at the start of each game depending on the opposition, then change where appropriate during the match itself.

The more attacking you go, the higher your D-line is, use the shouts drop deeper and longer passing (this is to counteract a bigger space between your def and mid)

But most of all assess your players and play to their strengths.

Hope this helps:)

ok this must be a bug, i just played a 5-4-1 will all my backline playing unltra defensive... i lost 5-2. thats 19 goals in 3 games? ridicolous!

one of the goals the ball was passed to the opp, and the defender just stood their as the player just ran past him!

I don't mean to be dismissive or rude, but since you're the only one reporting it don't you think that maybe you are just playing badly?

Have you tried one of the default formations or are you building your own?

Also, have you tried asking the backroom staff for their opinion on the next game?

You probably won't get results immediately but it'll start to come down so you get to grips with what works and why.

Archived