Bank Balance Question

So, I finally promoted my Lower League Club from to the Premier Leage after lots of years of hard work.

Anyway, when I first accepted the job they were in some financial trouble and stuff.

But then getting some good results over the years got me some good money and pulled my balance back up.

Having a couple of million in my balance I got a message that I have been given 32,5million for TV right this coming season.

Of course I started drooling all over the place and my team give me a pretty nice transfer budget to work with.

(At the same time I also get informed that we got a stadium expansion going for (only)about 2000 extra seats and improvement of youth facilities are about to begin).

I went to check my bank balance, but no extra 32.5mil there. I Didn't panic, and thought that it would come next month or so.

In the meantime, I started going crazy on the transfer market, signing players here and there. Then I saw the bank balance again and I noticed that I was like 7million in the red, but my remaining transfer budget is still available.

Is this only temporary or should I start worrying?

Thanks.

I think this happens often on years where an stadium expansion is being built that eats the budget. Its just not properly accounted for between the expansion and the transfer budget. Happens about 1 in 3 times for me.

This is the kind of situation where I might edit the game with FMRTE and give the club a 'loan' to cover the cost of the stadium, then repay it at the first opportunity. Otherwise you risk administration for a clerical error that wouldn't happen in real life.

Sorry, but I simply don't agree with anyone saying you should never spend more than your bank balance. What's important is not spending more than you can afford. There's no problem going into the red by a few million if you know, come the end of the season, you'll have made a profit over the course of the year once prize money and sponsorship deals are taken into account.

I tend to find that as long as you don't go over the budget set by the board and you achieve your targets for the season you should be OK. Of course, if your bank balance is tens of millions in the red you may want to start worrying.

Sorry, but I simply don't agree with anyone saying you should never spend more than your bank balance. What's important is not spending more than you can afford. There's no problem going into the red by a few million if you know, come the end of the season, you'll have made a profit over the course of the year once prize money and sponsorship deals are taken into account.

I tend to find that as long as you don't go over the budget set by the board and you achieve your targets for the season you should be OK. Of course, if your bank balance is tens of millions in the red you may want to start worrying.

I completely agree, especially when taking a small club into the Premier League. Provided you don't get relegated at the end of the season and you maintain a reasonable wage bill you can afford to put the club in debt as the TV money will cover it in time. I've put clubs £10-15m in debt before, it is a risk but if you get it right it can help the club progress quite quickly.

I also agree with Mike. The board have obviously noticed that to survive the PL you'll have to spend a lot of money to bring in new talent. And despite going into the red, the increased profits you'll make over the year will pay off this debt as you go.

Archived