How far back does your FM/CM/Football-in-General knowledge go?

I was just browsing goal.com and saw an article about Del Piero signing a contract extension with Juve and it mentioned how he signed from Padova in 1993.

It got me thinking that i remember playing CM Italia on the Amiga when Del Piero was still at Padova as a right winger.

It just got me thinking about how many other forum members have played CM/FM for as many years as I have (on and off over the years, to be fair) and what comical inaccuracies they can remember?

Cheers.

my knowledge pretty much stretches back to 1999-2000 Championship Manager with a Parma dream team of Buffon, Cannavaro and Thuram! Don't recall anything too comical, but theres been plenty of positional changes.

Andrea Pirlo was an AMC/FC in previous versions, obviously now he's a deep-lying playmaker set to a DMC/MC in FM09!

Yep, Pirlo was an excellent AM/FC for the Inter team in CM3 or 1999-00 (the latter i think). I first started playing in 97-98 when I was 11. Definitely have an extensive knowledge of football which is due in huge part to playing CM/FM.

Pirlo WAS an AMC in real life too till he came to Milan and it was then that Ancellotti put him as a DMC in one game and it worked :)

I also started playing with CM Italia but can't remember much comical oddities either. You need to see that back then i doubt that SI had anywhere near the research team they have now :) And he (Del Piero) was still a "minor" player in the game .. outside of Italy at least.

I played CM 96/97, I played it at my mates house and loved it, bought it and fell in love with the series! I've had 97/98, 01/02, cm4, and FM05/6/8/9 since then.

I seem to remember Zinedine Zidane being a D/M LC, but I may be mistaken, maybe someone else who played CM 96/97 can validate this!

Oh and I had the 95/96 foreign leagues CD, where you could only have 3 foreign players per team.

I was just browsing goal.com and saw an article about Del Piero signing a contract extension with Juve and it mentioned how he signed from Padova in 1993.

It got me thinking that i remember playing CM Italia on the Amiga when Del Piero was still at Padova as a right winger.

It just got me thinking about how many other forum members have played CM/FM for as many years as I have (on and off over the years, to be fair) and what comical inaccuracies they can remember?

Cheers.

I've been playing since the first release of CM way back in 1992 and have fond memories of a mis-spent childhood ;) CM italia was probably one of my favourite releases. I remember having two saves which i really enjoyed...One was with Juve where i had Baggio, Ravanelli and Del Piero up front and one was with Milan where i had van Basten and Massaro up front. Both teams were awesome and dominated everything.

As for the comical inaccuracies of CM - i remember stumbling across two players...Mark Collis and Ferrah Orosco who were amazing on the game. I only found out later that they weren't real players but infact programmers of the game who added themselves in. They were both at Cambridge United along with a young Dion Dublin which made playing as Cambridge really fun. I also remember Nii Lamptey. He was a real player and was amazing, i made sure i signed him every time.

Archived