Why is FM taking longer and longer to load up?

I've been playing FM for many years but I'm finding FM09 is taking longer and longer to boot up to get to the new game/load last game/load game main menu.

The black screen with the flickering 'Loading' text in the bottom corner is taking longer and longer.

What could be causing this??

Any ideas?

Right, I didn't think of this. I've just checked-

Use skin cache IS NOT ticked

Always reload skin on confirm IS ticked

Would this be the cause?

That'll be it, your game is loading up your graphics every time you load the game.

You want to have 'use skin cache' ticked, unless you are adding new graphics at the time.

i was having problems with my FM loading up and my spec isn't too bad.

A couple of thing I did that have now made the game much faster is to make sure that the priority of processor power assigned to FM is 'Very High', I donwloaded a program that let me do this in the Windows Task Manager (you know, control-alt-delete) but I forget what it was called.

Also, and this was purely out of curisity, but I removed my processor and gave it a damn good clean. After a couple of years of having it the amount of dust that had built up inside it was quite substantial and after I spent about 15 minutes scraping it off gently with a dry cotton bud (or cue tip for our yank friends) this alone must have speeded up processing by a good 300-400%, so much so that it now only takes my PC about 4-5 seconds to initialise the 3D view wheras before it would take about a minute.

A couple of thing I did that have now made the game much faster is to make sure that the priority of processor power assigned to FM is 'Very High'

This can make your OS unstable, as it will neglect other system tasks to process FM.

As for your CPU issue it must have been overheating like crazy for a dust clean to make any difference. It's not a bike wheel that needs some grease every now and then. The only thing dust will do is decrease cooling efficiency, and in some crazy cases short out pins to stop it working all together.

i was having problems with my FM loading up and my spec isn't too bad.

A couple of thing I did that have now made the game much faster is to make sure that the priority of processor power assigned to FM is 'Very High', I donwloaded a program that let me do this in the Windows Task Manager (you know, control-alt-delete) but I forget what it was called.

Also, and this was purely out of curisity, but I removed my processor and gave it a damn good clean. After a couple of years of having it the amount of dust that had built up inside it was quite substantial and after I spent about 15 minutes scraping it off gently with a dry cotton bud (or cue tip for our yank friends) this alone must have speeded up processing by a good 300-400%, so much so that it now only takes my PC about 4-5 seconds to initialise the 3D view wheras before it would take about a minute.

Not wanting to sound rude, but what you are suggesting is at the very least dangerous and at most blatant lying. IMO.

Not wanting to sound rude, but what you are suggesting is at the very least dangerous and at most blatant lying. IMO.

yeah, I come onto forums clearly to lie and make people screw up their machines.

Obviously if you're not confident in taking your PC apart then don't do it, after having PC's for many, many years now where I have read up on things and taught myself how to upgrade/replace various parts I decided to give it a whirl and for me it worked a treat. Obviously if you think I'm lying then thats your perogative. Personally I found that removing the processor was incredibly easy as after releasing the 4 motherboard connections the whole thing came off the board very easily.

Oh, and Sparks FC I am fullt aware that the thing doesn't spin round like some kind of wheel. You are right, the processor was probably overheating but after I did what I said earlier I did notice a huge increase in performance. I'm also aware that by assigning the priority to 'Very Hihg' does lead to other systems not working as well but for me, by making sure all other programs are closed, this has again greatly improved the speed and general all round enjoyment of playing FM09.

These are merely suggestions of mine folks, NEVER do any of them unless you are fully confident in your own ability to administor them correctly.

To be honest I've done what djstreaky did a while ago too but not for FM.

My computer was too dusty because I was using an open case (still haven't gotten around to buying a new one). It's simple once you know what you're doing and it's also very effective.

Lay off the guy.

Archived