FM08 - Glasgow Rangers - Home Of The Gers

jonahno6

Rangers.png

Rangers Football Club are a football club from Glasgow, Scotland who currently play in the Scottish Premier League. Rangers have won 51 league titles, a world record, and have won more major trophies than any football club in the world.

The club's home, the all-seated 51,082-capacity Ibrox Stadium in south-west Glasgow, has been accredited as one of UEFA's five-star stadia. The stadium was the first one in Scotland to be granted this accolade, although it now shares the rating with Hampden Park, Scotland's national stadium.

Rangers' players and fans today are multi-national and of various religions, although the club have traditionally been identified with and favoured the Protestant Unionist community of Scotland. For most of their history, Rangers have enjoyed a fierce rivalry with their cross-city opponents Celtic.

The club are nicknamed The Teddy Bears, from the rhyming slang for Gers, which in turn is short for Rangers, and the fans are known to each other as "Bluenoses". The club's correct name is simply Rangers F.C., although they are sometimes referred to as Glasgow Rangers

1 GK Allan McGregor

2 DF Alan Hutton

3 DF David Weir

4 FW Thomas Buffel

5 DF Saša Papac

6 MF Barry Ferguson (captain)

7 MF Brahim Hemdani

8 MF Kevin Thomson

9 FW Kris Boyd

10 FW Nacho Novo

11 MF Charlie Adam

12 DF Ugo Ehiogu

14 MF Amdy Faye (on loan from Charlton Athletic)

15 MF Alan Gow

16 GK Graeme Smith

17 MF Chris Burke

18 FW Steven Naismith

19 FW Jean-Claude Darcheville

20 MF DaMarcus Beasley

21 DF Kirk Broadfoot

22 DF Andy Webster (on loan from Wigan Athletic)

24 DF Carlos Cuéllar

25 GK Roy Carroll

26 DF Steven Smith

27 FW Lee McCulloch

28 DF Steven Whittaker

29 FW Daniel Cousin

Major honours

League

Scottish League championships (51):

1891, 1899, 1900, 1901, 1902, 1911, 1912, 1913, 1918, 1920, 1921, 1923, 1924,

1925, 1927, 1928, 1929, 1930, 1931, 1933, 1934, 1935, 1937, 1939, 1947, 1949,

1950, 1953, 1956, 1957, 1959, 1961, 1963, 1964, 1975, 1976, 1978, 1987, 1989,

1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997*, 1999, 2000, 2003, 2005

* Equalled Celtic's record of nine championships in a row (commonly known as "9-in-a-row")

Cups

European Cup Winners’ Cup winners:

Scottish Cup winners (31):

1894, 1897, 1898, 1903, 1928, 1930, 1932, 1934, 1935, 1936, 1948, 1949, 1950,

1953, 1960, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1966, 1973, 1976, 1978, 1979, 1981, 1992, 1993,

1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003

League Cup winners (24):

1947, 1949, 1961, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1979, 1982, 1984, 1985,

1987, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1997, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2005

Records

Club

Record home attendance: 118,567 vs Celtic, January 1939

Record victory: 13-0 vs Possilpark, Scottish Cup, October 1877

Record league victory: 10-0 vs Hibernian, December 1898

Record defeat: 2-10 vs Airdrieonians, 1886

Record league defeat: 0-6 vs Dumbarton, May 1892

Record appearances: John Greig, 755, 1960-1978

Record league appearances: Sandy Archibald, 513, 1917-1934

Record Scottish Cup appearances: Alec Smith, 74

Record Scottish League Cup appearances: John Greig, 121

Record European competition appearances: Barry Ferguson, 69

Record goalscorer: Ally McCoist, 355 goals, 1983-1998

Most goals in one season: Sam English, 44 goals, 1931/1932

Most league goals: Ally McCoist, 251 goals

Most Scottish Cup goals: Jimmy Fleming, 44 goals

Most League Cup goals: Ally McCoist, 54 goals

Most European goals: Ally McCoist, 21 goals

Shutout record: Chris Woods, 1196 minutes, 1986/87 (British record)

Most capped player: Frank de Boer, 112 caps for The Netherlands

Highest transfer fee received: Giovanni van Bronckhorst, £8.5m, Arsenal, 2001

Highest transfer fee paid: Tore André Flo, £12.5m, Chelsea, 2000

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by jonahno6:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rydo L:

Nice opening post but you have repeated the first 3 paragraphs 3 times?

oh crap so i have, damn C&Pin, im sure cleon can do something, *waits for cleon to edit opening post* </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Finished 3 demo games- impressions so far:

Keepers are both stable if unspectacular

Hutton and Papac are ok and fairly consistent.

DCs are a problem and no combination seems to be good so far. Cuellar and Webster are the best of a poor lot and I think at least 1 DC is required

Fergie is fine at MC and Beasley is good at ML but MR is a problem- tries Burke, Novo, Whittaker and so far Naismith is best.

The forwards have made a lot of chances and cant score if they tried- JCD is particularly wasteful altho McCulloch can do a job as your left striker.

Best buy to date is a Finnish AML/ST called Aaritalo who is a steal at 50-100k. Havent managed to get a quality DC yet.

Fraz - Agree on keepers and defence. Hutton and Papac were very consistent on my games however.

Burke seemed to do best for me at MR and Whittaker/Novo were no good. Ferguson got sent off a good few times for me, apart from that was very good. icon14.gif

Beasley at ML was OK, McCulloch ranged from crap to very good but I never really gave him a chance up front.

JCD did great for me, probably my best player. icon_biggrin.gif

He scored plenty, Boyd scored a good few and Cousin/Naismith didn't contribute too much.

I'm struggling with Rangers. Can't find any decent players to buy. Aaritalo has already signed for Copenhagen. I've put a loan bid in for Flamini from Arsenal to add some bite to the midfield.

I've put Shittaker and Thomson up for sale and Boyd will be listed soon too. All I need now is to find some good replacements.

Has anyone found a decent tactic? I play a 4-1-4-1 with Darcheville as the lone striker.

Started a game with the mighty Gers today, So far so good. 11 competitive games gone only one lose, 4-3 to Ajax away in the Champions League. Biggest win is against Aberdeen 6-1. Sitting 2 points behind Celtic after 6 games (I have one in hand).

Team is

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

McGregor

Hutton Cuellar Webster Papac

Thomson Ferguson

Naismith Feindouno McCulloch

Darcheville

</pre>

Sold Hemdani (£3m), Burke (£2.3m) and Buffel (£3m). Then brought in Feindouno for £9.5m and young Ryan O'Leary from Kilmarnock for £190k.

Originally posted by dm_gers:

The data seems pretty good this year!

Looks like it'll be a good challenge with Rangers when the game comes out as Celtic seem to have a few bob to spend. icon_smile.gif

I started the game with no transfer budgets to make it more realistic.

I didn't sell or buy anyone but did cancel Amdy Faye's loan and tried to offload Big Ugo and Goal Keeper Graeme Smith but no takers.

I would have liked to bring in a left back and even more so as even Papac is out injured for me.

My current best XI

McGregor

Hutton Cuellar Weir Broadfoot

Burke Ferguson Thomson Beasley

Darcheville Naismith

Burke has the most assists with 7 and Darcheville is my top scorer with 7 also.

Originally posted by jimbo22:

Started a game with the mighty Gers today, So far so good. 11 competitive games gone only one lose, 4-3 to Ajax away in the Champions League. Biggest win is against Aberdeen 6-1. Sitting 2 points behind Celtic after 6 games (I have one in hand).

Team is

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

McGregor

Hutton Cuellar Webster Papac

Thomson Ferguson

Naismith Feindouno McCulloch

Darcheville

</pre>

Sold Hemdani (£3m), Burke (£2.3m) and Buffel (£3m). Then brought in Feindouno for £9.5m and young Ryan O'Leary from Kilmarnock for £190k.

When did you sell Buffel because I got no interest because he was injured?

In my demo game, I managed to finish top, 3pts clear of celtic and qualify for the champions league second round by virtue of a 90th minute equaliser in the match i was relying sporting/lyon drawing.

My best team at that point was:

McGregor

Hutton Cuellar Simons Wallace

Thomson Motta

Burke Robertson Beasley

Boyd

I sold Papac(2.7m), McCulloch(2.3m), Buffel(2.5m)

I bought Simons(4m), Robertson(750k - a revelation, btw.), Motta (Loan) and Wallace(2.1m).

Just started a full game, and so far sold Papac for 2.7m, Novo looks certain to head to one of 4 Spanish clubs for 3m and I've loaned in Nicklas Bendtner, Harry Kewel(can sign for 2.9m at the end of the season) and Mathieu Flamini.

Originally posted by ArcticSpanker:

Where did you sign Robertson from?

I've found a good LB. His name is Jardler, he plays for Malmo and his value is 525k. A host of French clubs were after him but he chose Rangers (of course).

Probably Robertson from Dundee Utd. Very good prospect in the game.

Just started game and struggling to get going in the transfer window.

Brought in:

Kasper Hamalainen (Turun Palloseura 100K)

Mika Aaritalo (Turun Palloseura 250K)

Lauri Dalla Valle (JIPPO free)

Mathieu Flamini (Arsenal loan season)

Sold

Thomas Buffel (2.8M) cos hes crap

Really struggling to offload others can't sell novo, burke, papac, hemdani. Even offering them for 0 didn't work.

heres my team

mcgregor

mceverley cuellar weir lowing

eagles fergie thomson beasley

naismith novo

signed:

ron-robert zieler (£60k)

chris eagles (loan)

sherman cardenas (£750k)

paulo andre (£4.5 million)

jay mceveley (£875k)

jack hobbs (loan)

sold:

burke (£1.8 million)

whittaker (£1.4 million)

papac (£2.4 million)

buffel (£2.6 million)

hemdani (£2 million)

ive got paulo andre, hutton, stevie smith and boyd all injured the now icon_mad.gif

trying to sign kasper schmeichel but dont think man city are gonna let him go icon_frown.gif

Transfer window's just shut.

Brought in:

Kewell (loan), Evans (loan), Song (loan), Flamini (loan), Motta (loan), Aaritalo (£180K), Ignashevich (Free), Kallon (Free), Delgado (£4.3 million), Cabanas (£1.1 million), Esparza (£3 million), Araujo (£3 million), Bolzoni (£2 million), Adrian (£1.8 million)

Got Altidore (£500k)& Alex (£400k) coming in January.

Sold:

Gow (£2 million), Darcheville (£1.6 million), McCulloch (£2.5 million), Papac (£3.5 million), Cousin (£1.5 million), Novo (£2.1 million), Hemdani (£2.9 million)

I went for a different approach lads. Bought no-one, sold Cousin, JCD, Weir, Ugo, Gow, Burke £5m(nearly fell off my seat) and Bigfoot. Sent Faye back because £20K a week is not good business. Sourced some really good loan signings. Collins John SC Fulham, Collins DC West ham, David Wheater DC 'Boro.

Team Reads

Carrol

Whittaker, Cuellar, Collins, Papac

Novo, Fergie, Thomo, Adam

Naismith, Boyd

been lucky and had no injuries.

Ps David hamilton, Scout at Wigan is really good.

Just got to 1st Jan and sold burke. Hopefully goin to replace him with Farfan PSV. at last check 14games, 12 assists and 8goals from right mid.

will keep you uptodate with all thats good

About a week away from the close of the january transfer window, not brought anyone else in as of yet. League table sees me 1 point behind Celtic, qualified 3rd in my CL group(lost my final game to Valencia at home 4-2 after being 2-0 up, so finished 1point behind Liverpool and Valencia gutted)

Team:

McGregor

Hutton Lugano Cuellar Shorey

Thomson Ferguson

Burke Robertson Kewell

Aaritalo

Aaritalo's scored 17, Naismith has 12.

Transfers in: Kewell(loan), Flamini(Loan), Evans(Loan), Lugano(4.5m), Shorey(4.5m plus add-ons), Aaritalo(180k), Robertson(500k), Cameron(500k), Darren Smith(375k), James McCarthy (200k), Cave-Brown(50k), Coutts(70k) and Jonathon Hellstorm(45k)

Total spent 11m

Transfers out: Papac(2.5m), Novo(3m), Buffel(4m), McCulloch(2.4m), Hemdani(2.5m), Cousin(500k), JCD(650k)

Total Recieved: 15m

Board did accept a 7m bid from Newcastle for Hutton, but in desperation i managed to get him to stay by offering a 5 year deal with max wages. Disaster struck when Lugano fell out with Cuellar and I have no idea why =/ (Personalities don't clash, and nothing bad happend during a game) Got loan offers in for Baros and Sidwell with a week to go in the january transfer, but not got many options in regards to a center back of low-ish value that hasn't played in europe yet.

I only got 2.4m for Buffel and 1.6m for Nacho. icon_frown.gif

I'm just at the start of December in my game, team looks like this:

GK:McGregor

DR:Hutton

DL:Smith

DC:Cuellar

DC:Webster/Evans

MR:Burke

ML:McCulloch

MC:Ferguson when he's not bloody banned

MC:Thomson/Banega

FC:Boyd

FC:JCD

Sold Novo and Buffel as above and also Hemdani for 2.5m. Brought in Evans on loan from Man U and Ever Banega from Boca for 2.9m. So still have a bit to spend in January if need be.

Currently 2 points behind Celtic in the league with a game in hand. Done well in the Champions League so far, beat Pobeda (Who?) and Dinamo Bucharest in the qualifiers. It's all down to the last game for who qualifies but guaranteed UEFA at least. Results in the groups have been:

Genk(H) 1-0 Win

Inter(A) 1-1 Draw

PSV(A) 1-1 Draw

PSV(H) 3-1 Win

Genk(A) 0-0 Draw

All we need to do is take a point from Inter at Ibrox to go through!

Going to try and get rid of Ugo in January transfer window along with Gow, G.Smith and Weir who all want to go elsewhere for first team fitbaw. icon_smile.gif

Astonished in the game that within 3 months of the game starting, Gow and Graeme Smith who are both backup players and Carroll, who is on squad rotation, are all running to the press about not getting first team football. A bit unlikely!

Originally posted by ArcticSpanker:

I sold Boyd cause he's no better than average but Barry Ferguson became unahppy and asked for a transfer. I accepted his request and sold him for £4.5M.

Fergie plays brilliantly for me but has had over 20 bookings and been sent off 5 times already. icon_frown.gif

All of my strikers have scored over 18 goals this year (Boyd, Aaritalo and Naismith), but I'm still neck and neck with Celtic going into the final 3 games just 3 points clear. I'd place part of the blame with the bugs in the match engine for my champions league exit *but* i'd also suggest it's been responsible for my UEFA cup run to the final (beating Villareal away 5-3 is just a tad unrealistic) or beating Hibs 4-3 after going 3-0 down in the space of 5 minutes but, with the beta patch things seem to be returning to normal. Ferguson scored 16 goals and set up 7 for me, in 40(2) games.

Started aRangers game as soon as I got it out the box. Noticed some interesting things.

There are some rather quality signings available for nothing, three I noticed were Kallon, Kleberson and Ignashevich.Was able to buy Kallon and Ignashevich but Kleberson slipped through.

Spent the majority of the season buying young talent from abroad for buttons (highest signing was Loic Abenzoar from Lyon for about 800-900k)

Best signing was definately Ignashevich who was a rock all season but I also snatched Nacer Barazite from Arsenal for about 500k. Now he is young, but he had a 7.12 avg after 8 games and 9 subs in the league(scoring twice, 2 assists and 2MoM's. 68%pass success, 66% shots on target) Which is good cause for the majority of the season I actually played him as a MC rather than a AMC. I also got Fabian Vargas from Boca for nout but he's only played in two games so far.

I played about with some tactics. Starting with a 5-3-2 / 5-3-1-1 type of thing but changing to 4-4-2 before the end of the season

4-4-2 formation

GK McGregor (who's a moody wee git in this, says he wants to play first team football when he's on the bench, then saying he wants to movce on when he does)

DL S. Smith (Papac as well)

DC C. Cuellar

DC S. Ignashevich

DR A. Hutton (brilliant)

ML D. Beasley (had problems with this wing, no one really tended to blend in. McCulloch I found is better as a striker and Beasley tended to be hot and cold

MC K. Thomson (outstanding in this game I was very impressed, 70% pass completion. Perhaps a bit too good, better in this than RL perhaps, but not as good as...)

MC B. Ferguson (32 appearences, 10 goals, 12 astsm 5 MoM's, 7.13avg, he's just too oustanding)

MR again, problems no one held onto this positon. Kallon was good but I sold him, the rest, Novo, Burke, Furman, Naismith all had a go, Naismith was possibly the best but he's better as a striker

ST ... (this was problematic for me, Cousin, Darcheville, Buffel and McCulloch all had a good goal return and I rotated them. Boyd was.. disappointing but stull scored 5 in 13)

ST Naismith (21 in 27, nuff said)

I played the entire season and won it before loosing a match (by that point I was playing my young players)

Few nice young players to have a look at

Nacer Barazite (see above) Michael Barnes (Man U, ok, one for the future) and Eros Corradini, A wee gem who I bought from Parma/Cesena for 180k. He's a GK and only 19 but I shoved him on near the end of the season and he played 4 and had a 7.50 avg rating. He did let in 6 goals but 4 of them were in a 4-4 draw with Inverness on the second last game of the season and even in that game he got an 8 rating)

CHampions League wasn't that great, qualified from my group (despite loosing 4-0 and 4-1 to Chelsea) but Real spanked me rotten in the next round.

Lost out on the League cup but beat Celtic to the Scottish Cup (which made them sack Strachan)

Final position in the league: 1st

UEFA Cup: Winners

Scottish Cup: Winners

--

Best 11

McGregor

Hutton Cuellar Lugano Shorey

Ferguson Thomson

Burke Robertson Kewell

Aaritalo

--

So far...

Signing Barbosa(GK) on a free, Cahais for 1.7m, Thicot on a free. Re-signed Evans on loan. Selling Beasley for 1.6m.

Man United offered 12m for Aaritalo, negotiated for 15m but they declined and player became unhappy.

Ok, started as the Gers right away and my first season went well, despite bieng knocked out of the CL early went on to win the domestic triple.

players out

Steven Smith, £2.6m

JC Darcheville, £450k (never really used him and he was left in the reserves)

Danny Cousin, £750k (same as JCD, left to rot in the reserves)

DeMarcus Beasley £7m (I think the Recreativo manager was on crack that day)

Kevin Thomson £6m ---

Charlie Adam £7.5m --- Both Thomson and Adam's sale were veto accepted by David Murray, swine

Chris Burke £5m

These sales were over the course of the season, and my purchases were

Esparza £2.4m

van der Mayde £1.4m

Mauro Zárate £3.1m

Adel Taarabt £5.25m

Lulinha £2.4m (Tho he only arrived at the very end of the season)

Nordtveit £2m

I play a 4-5-1 with an attacking mid who floats about going forward or pulling back as needed and one of the central mids pulling back to DM when we are in possession. I found the Gers defence somewhat leaky at the back but Boyd, Buffel and Ferguson provided many more goals to counter this. Celtic were in tatters after the first old firm clash as Strachan was sacked then ol Martin O'niell was brought back and subsequently sacked after the second old firm game went my way. I've always been a fan of a small compact squad of youngsters and so far my team is coming together.

Originally posted by dm_gers:

I only got 2.4m for Buffel and 1.6m for Nacho. icon_frown.gif

I'm just at the start of December in my game, team looks like this:

GK:McGregor

DR:Hutton

DL:Smith

DC:Cuellar

DC:Webster/Evans

MR:Burke

ML:McCulloch

MC:Ferguson when he's not bloody banned

MC:Thomson/Banega

FC:Boyd

FC:JCD

Sold Novo and Buffel as above and also Hemdani for 2.5m. Brought in Evans on loan from Man U and Ever Banega from Boca for 2.9m. So still have a bit to spend in January if need be.

Currently 2 points behind Celtic in the league with a game in hand. Done well in the Champions League so far, beat Pobeda (Who?) and Dinamo Bucharest in the qualifiers. It's all down to the last game for who qualifies but guaranteed UEFA at least. Results in the groups have been:

Genk(H) 1-0 Win

Inter(A) 1-1 Draw

PSV(A) 1-1 Draw

PSV(H) 3-1 Win

Genk(A) 0-0 Draw

All we need to do is take a point from Inter at Ibrox to go through!

Going to try and get rid of Ugo in January transfer window along with Gow, G.Smith and Weir who all want to go elsewhere for first team fitbaw. icon_smile.gif

I have the same problem with ferguson! Even thomnson has a vicious streak in him. They cost me games by getting sent off and even when they get banned for all there yellow cards

my squad.

Mcgregor

smith/papac El-mourabet Cuellar Hutton

Aaritalo Thompson Fergie Burke

Mezenga Boyd

in: El- Mourabet £1.2m

Aaritalo £110k

Josh Wright £250k (reserves) for the future

Barkoth £200k (under 18s) for the future

Torje 600k (reserves) for the future

Breno just arrived in January £3.5m

Benzerga £230k (reserves) for the future

Acapandie £475k (reserves) for the future

Out: Hemdani £1.5m

Buffel £2.6m

Novo £1.2m

JCD £850k

All out of fund now. hope to get a good GK in next season plus a MC. get rid of some more numpties (whitaker).

I played a whole season with my Rangers team with only 1 purchase: Mike Zonneveld (PSV) and managed to win the treble in Scotland and reached the semi final of the Uefa Cup.

You need to play to their strengths, like using Boyd as a target man and supplying him with balls to his head etc.

Archived