coaxing players into retirement

Does anybody have any tips about how to give one of my players a little nudge in the direction of retirement? i have player in the reserves who i want to replace him with. so far i have done these things:

his contract is up at the end of the season

i hardly ever play him (he is the 4th cm in my team)

i tell him he should be a coach every 3 months

however, i am also his international manager, and i play him every game in an attempt to get him as the highest caps record holder. would this do anything?

any other advice would be greatly welcomed. cheers

sublime - the international games are mostly coming off the bench, and the couple of times he has played 30 mins + he has been getting poor ratings.

sucksatfm - the reason i dont want to release him is that he is a club legend and someone who i really want to retain as a coach

Ask him to consider staying in the game via player interaction.

Into, not out of.

If he's old enough, you might be able to "force" him to retire through injury by putting him up to intensive strength and/or aerobic training if that's possible, and hope he tears a hamstring or something. Which is a bit gruesome.

If not, then why not simply try and offload him? Or at least make him leave the club - even on a free, someone is bound to be interested in him. Upset him by never praising him in a match, unsettle him by shifting his squad status all the time...

Into, not out of.

If he's old enough, you might be able to "force" him to retire through injury by putting him up to intensive strength and/or aerobic training if that's possible, and hope he tears a hamstring or something. Which is a bit gruesome.

If not, then why not simply try and offload him? Or at least make him leave the club - even on a free, someone is bound to be interested in him. Upset him by never praising him in a match, unsettle him by shifting his squad status all the time...

Sorry if you mis-understood what I said. For players that are 30+, which I presume the OP's player is, there is an option to convince the player to stay on as a manager, coach or scout.

i have rio ferdinand in my Man Utd team and hes 38 and kicking ass, hes getting better stats than my two big signing centre backs so is a regular in my team and is still in england squads(if not getting as many games) am praying he doesnt retire lol

retirment age is a bit iffy. some players like rio or john terry can play till there 40 frank lampard is another 1. but ive also seen nigeria players retire at 20 so its all about how you treat him,

if your still playing him for his country then stop , replace him with the young guns

set his status to backup and only play him 5 times a season

and then just stay calm and wait, it'll come

jamie carrager is 38 just qualified as a coach and has finally decided to retire at the end of this year

steven gerrard is 36 and only plays 25-30 games a season , but probly has another couple of years in him

For me Carra went till he was 38, and Stevie Gerrard went till he was 40, just bought them off the bench a little and that was all.

Torres is retiring at 38 on mine as well, as he isn't getting enough gametime.

While Iker Casillas is turning 41 for Real, made over 750 league appearances for them, and still hasn't set a retirement date.

My game seems to show that older players are more realistic in their contracts demands. So I'd say keep him sweet by playing him in less important games and using him as a sub, then if you offer a contract to him, he'll probably be willing to take a pay cut.

You get to keep him in the hope of him becoming a decent coach, plus he doesn't take so much of your wage bill - you can't lose.

Either that or release him and poach him back in a season or two.

Had a Man Utd game. Van Der Sar, Scholes, Neville and Giggs had contracts running out in 2010 - all were hoping to get new contracts but after a season of hardly any appearances and no offers, they all announced their retirements with 1/2 months to go (except Van Der Sar, who has been replaced with David James haha)

Archived