Minnows to Euro Champions?

Is it possible, taking reputation etc in to account, to turn a team like Derry City or TNS into European Champions, attracting top notch players?

The reason I ask is because I want to have one epic game as I have been a bit stop start recently...

If it's possible, then it's game on, but I can't imagine it being possible because of league reputation etc...

Hope this makes sense, any feedback appreciated :thup::)

The reputation of the leagues are static, which means although it is possible to take these sorts of clubs to the top in Europe, you will never be able to compete with the big clubs for players. You can do it in England though, you can take any lower league club and turn them into the biggest club in the world, it just takes a while.

Gundo's FM09 European Adventure Challenge™

This might interest you, it is all about taking clubs from small European nations to the top in Europe.

The reputation of the leagues are static, which means although it is possible to take these sorts of clubs to the top in Europe, you will never be able to compete with the big clubs for players. You can do it in England though, you can take any lower league club and turn them into the biggest club in the world, it just takes a while.

This might interest you, it is all about taking clubs from small European nations to the top in Europe.

Cheers Dafuge, I thought as much, it's a shame really! I'll certainly take a look at the link that you posted me, cheers mate :D

Is Static League Reputation something that SI might consider changing ?

Is Static League Reputation something that SI might consider changing ?

Well that's a question that has been asked many times, with little response from SI. The difficulty is the complexity of implementing such a feature, although it is generally considered a must for people who enjoy long-term games.

League reputation will be your biggest hurdle without a doubt, even if over time (potentially a very long time with the likes of TNS or Derry), you manage to raise club reputation considerably.

Even with that in mind, I still think it's do-able. Good continued improvement of your squad, consistent tactical choices to aid squad gelling and as always, a big slice of luck.

I actually managed what I consider to be my greatest feat in any of the FM games with FM09, which was to win the FA Cup with Altrincham whilst in League 2. People may sneer and shout "cheat" or "impossible". Unlikeley, yes, unrealistic, perhaps, but do-able, certainly. My run to the final itself was lucky, but not without some considerable tactical influence on my own part. The luck part of it was I played Man City, Arsenal, then Man Utd in the final and in each game, my opponents had at least one player sent off. Even with 10 men or less, my opponents should be favorited. Each time, I paused the game, looked at the stats, the formation changes, looked for opportunities to take advantage of and made what turned out to be the right decisions.

So give it a go. It will be a long term game, but what a great challenge eh!

We have been asking for it to be changed for a while. The thing is does need to be done carefully so that its a slow process and more affecting the top clubs that are winning things in the league first and then the lesser clubs in the league. As you can see happening in Ukraine for example that some very top players will join Shakhtar or Dinamo Kiev and slowly the otehr teams can start improving. So the way I see it working is that in 50 years, England, Spain, Italy, France, Germany would still probably be the top leagues although in which order may change as indeed they have in real life. If you were playing as here in the Welsh or Northern Irish league you would slowly start to be able to attract better players as they see a club in continually in champions league and more so as you are a regular presence in the group stages but due the size of the country and money available to the whole area they would probably never make it to a better league than Netherlands perhaps.

League reputation will be your biggest hurdle without a doubt, even if over time (potentially a very long time with the likes of TNS or Derry), you manage to raise club reputation considerably.

Even with that in mind, I still think it's do-able. Good continued improvement of your squad, consistent tactical choices to aid squad gelling and as always, a big slice of luck

In terms of winning the European Cup i would agree it is possible in the long term. However in terms of attracting the best players and being one of the biggest teams in the world, that is impossible due to the capping of club reputation by league reputation.

I actually managed what I consider to be my greatest feat in any of the FM games with FM09, which was to win the FA Cup with Altrincham whilst in League 2.

Thats impossible you cheat. Altrincham in League 2? That just plain wouldn't happen. Never. Not in a million years.

:p

Thats impossible you cheat. Altrincham in League 2? That just plain wouldn't happen. Never. Not in a million years.

:p

Yup, thankfully they fired Graham Heathcote and got me in to make a proper job of things... :p

small Mac -

In terms of winning the European Cup i would agree it is possible in the long term. However in terms of attracting the best players and being one of the biggest teams in the world, that is impossible due to the capping of club reputation by league reputation.

Definately, though with a little luck, you can attract some decent players after a while. Of course, depends on what you call decent, but in terms of high reputation, it's possible after a number of seasons and high enough club reputation.

My best advice is to keep an eye on promising regens from obscure counries. I always managed to sign one or two really good players from the Cook Islands of all places. You can nurture them and bring them on, just don't get too upset when the likes of Man Utd or Barcelona come knocking. ;)

I hope they do look into league reputation changing in the future. I think it would work if it depended on 2 main things.

European Performance (or whichever continent) - The performance of the teams in there respective continental competition. The better teams do, the more that leagues reputation goes up. Obviously this has to be over time though, as TNS getting to the group stages once shouldnt elevate that league to attract mid-level championship players. Likewise All english teams knocked out in group stages wouldnt automatically lose so much rep that Zlatan wont join Chelsea. But over time, with steady improvements in Continental performances would ensure the league rep would start to rise.

National Team Performance - This would not have as big effect as the previous...but national team peformance would help over time. Probably over more time than the previous factor. If Wales continually do well in International matches and competitions then the image of there country and therefore there league would rise. This could even use a correlation to how many players playing for Wales, are from the Welsh league. This could make international management more interesting also. Imagine managing Ghana...you have the option of your huge overseas stars...or you look to the future and use domestic based players with a view to the league improving in reputation and producing more talent in the future.

I went a bit off topic towards the end but I hope you get the jist :)

Archived