Passing traits without mentoring?

I have three players who are marked as 'team leaders' in my team.

I have set up two mentoring groups which is basically one team leader + 4-5 youngsters. Team leader is the only one with significant influence and youngsters have mostly 'balanced' personalities to start with.

It has worked now for 6 months and I stumbled upon a news item in March - mentoring monthly summary - which reported that my team leader has picked up a trait (tries first time shots) via mentoring.

While I regard it to be rather neutral (he could actually pull this off with his finishing and technique) I started to wonder if it's even possible.

There's no player in his mentoring group has this trait. The only player in my team who has a trait like that (tries first time shots) is my third team leader (who is not included to any mentoring group).

Is it possible to transfer traits like that - just from player to player without mentoring? Or was it possible because the recipient was in the mentoring group? How likely is that?

It's possible for players to pick up player traits from other, influential players just in training. It's less frequent than via mentoring though. The traits should suit their attributes too, if everything works as intended.

Whether it's normal for a team leader to still learn from someone also influential, I'm not sure.

• SI Staff

Player Traits can be picked up outside of Mentoring, although it's rare and harder to achieve than via the more usual coaching or Mentoring routes.

All Player Trait transference, no matter the cause, will adhere to the same rules: the trait needs to be possible (not necessarily appropriate) for the player's position and attributes etc.