How to know a player will be a good future coach?

I've tried to look for a pattern in this, but I haven't found any common denominators. Of course, determination is visible and important for pretty much everyone, but other than that, no. Personality is one thing though, since at least you know if they are say professional vs casual, and I'd prefer a professional coach over a casual one any day of the week.

Just ask him a couple times near retirement after a space of a couple months or whatever about his future. Once he's ready, he'll just say "I can make myself available right now if you like.". Then you can, after a click on continue, look at his staff attributes. They won't demand a staff contract from you (at least I've never seen that), and you can often score a deal where they both play and coach, if that's your concern. It's probably best if you send them on coaching courses relatively soon after they show a remote interest in it - though you may have to engage with them about coaching once before they'll go on the course. Unless you are playing an extraordinarily poor club, the few thousand it takes to get them to continental level is virtually nothing.

Usually players are fairly well suited to whatever ends up interesting them in, and useful in the division and reputation bracket you are currently in. If they end up wanting to be a head of youth development, they'll usually have decent working with youngsters and player judging stats. If you're near promotion to a new division, it might be better to wait for the promotion and play him in a few games. I don't have any stats to back that up, but it just seems that way from past observation. There's always the chance they could turn out relatively mediocre, or potentially better than expected.