Defensive issues

I need some advice for my tactic, having tried all sorts of tactics and getting myself into difficulties with them i decided to spend some time reading up on everyone elses problems. This helped create a tactic based on bits of advice ive taken. Going forward im playing some really nice passing football. Results are positive but something isnt quite right defensively. I seem to concede quite often and always look easy to break through. Below is my 1st tactic, the second image is my tactic against similar teams to me away from home which seems to be going quite well but could be improved upon. 

1879905947_Screenshot(12).thumb.png.f6fb3697a369b2663e8f8a6f849c39db.png

So this is my main tactic

1464464986_Screenshot(13).thumb.png.a8362407bfc4f860bca38b7f9e0cedbb.png

This is my tactic against big teams away from home

Looking at both those tactics i was wondering if there was anything glaringly obvious im missing particularly in the first tactic as to why im so vulnerable defensively. At home its not so bad but particularly away from home against lesser opposition who i shouldnt be conceding so many chances against.

As for tactic 2 just any advice in general would be ideal

My main aim is for Reece James to be heavily involved in the game which is why ive set him to attack and Sancho and Abraham to be my main goal threats whilst playing attractive possession football but not possession for the sake of possesion

Thanks

2 hours ago, Sarriball14 said:

1879905947_Screenshot(12).thumb.png.f6fb3697a369b2663e8f8a6f849c39db.png

So this is my main tactic

I don't see anything wrong in this tactic per se. Maybe some of your players are not good enough for what you expect from them in terms of their defensive responsibilities, but you should now your players and their capabilities better than anyone.

I don't know how exactly you are conceding most of these goals - via well-executed counter-attacks or long balls over the top, or crosses, or set pieces etc.? - so I can offer just one small suggestion for now: change the AML's duty to support and the mezzala's into attack. Like this:

Wsu

MEZat

You may also consider changing James' role into FB on attack duty (instead of WB). 

Hopefully, these small tweaks will help.

16 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

I don't see anything wrong in this tactic per se. Maybe some of your players are not good enough for what you expect from them in terms of their defensive responsibilities, but you should now your players and their capabilities better than anyone.

I don't know how exactly you are conceding most of these goals - via well-executed counter-attacks or long balls over the top, or crosses, or set pieces etc.? - so I can offer just one small suggestion for now: change the AML's duty to support and the mezzala's into attack. Like this:

Wsu

MEZat

You may also consider changing James' role into FB on attack duty (instead of WB). 

Hopefully, these small tweaks will help.

Thanks I’ll try giving that a go, with having the full backs just as full backs will that still give me control with possession. I thought having wing backs was better for possession systems?

the goals I concede seem to be coming from down the flanks. The full backs seem to get rinsed fairly easily but are unreal going forward. Would defending wider help at all? 

I do concede a fair few from set pieces but I’m working on that, I haven’t got the most amazing team of headers tbh. The 2 centre halves and Tammy are as good as it gets. I could do with another Big CM to slot into the mezala role and that would give me 4 heading options minimum when defending.

as for the players, James is showing bags of potential. Mount is solid  (3 stars) but not amazing but then again he works hard.

Tammy is scoring 30 goals a season in all comps but only a 3 star player still apparently.

Tomori is very good at the back as well. I guess you can always improve the team but the whole point in this was to see how far I could get these youth prospects. Maybe I’ve taken some of them as far as possible and it’s time to look in a new direction.

15 hours ago, Sarriball14 said:

with having the full backs just as full backs will that still give me control with possession. I thought having wing backs was better for possession systems?

There is no direct relation between possession football and the wing-back role as such. Wing-back as a role is a bit more attack-minded than fullback, but that's not associated with any particular style of football.

You can try Chilwell as a WB on support or automatic duty if you want him to more directly support your attacks higher up the pitch. If you see you are having defensive issues, change him back into FB on support. 

15 hours ago, Sarriball14 said:

the goals I concede seem to be coming from down the flanks. The full backs seem to get rinsed fairly easily but are unreal going forward. Would defending wider help at all?

Maybe. You have to try and see. Given that you play with a higher DL and have a HB, wider width might make sense (though I don't know your HB and how good he is for the role).

You have a High LoE but a standard DL - and an Offside Trap. Have you tried removing offside trap and using a High DL? Also, changing the Winger to support will make sure he helps more in defense.

Also, I like a DMd more than a HBd in this type of formation. There is no need for your left back to be very attacking since the winger provides the width on the left. Why not a standard DMd there?

11 hours ago, dejarik said:

You have a High LoE but a standard DL - and an Offside Trap. Have you tried removing offside trap and using a High DL? Also, changing the Winger to support will make sure he helps more in defense.

Also, I like a DMd more than a HBd in this type of formation. There is no need for your left back to be very attacking since the winger provides the width on the left. Why not a standard DMd there?

My Defensive line is set to high and my LOE is set to standard??

The Half back seems to be getting good ratings each game but maybe I’ll try the DMd 

18 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

There is no direct relation between possession football and the wing-back role as such. Wing-back as a role is a bit more attack-minded than fullback, but that's not associated with any particular style of football.

You can try Chilwell as a WB on support or automatic duty if you want him to more directly support your attacks higher up the pitch. If you see you are having defensive issues, change him back into FB on support. 

Maybe. You have to try and see. Given that you play with a higher DL and have a HB, wider width might make sense (though I don't know your HB and how good he is for the role).

I shall take all this advice on board tonight, do you have any recommendations for my away tactic? Anything you’d look to change?

1 hour ago, Sarriball14 said:

My Defensive line is set to high and my LOE is set to standard??

The Half back seems to be getting good ratings each game but maybe I’ll try the DMd 

Sorry, I misread. It seems you want to press from the front. I would suggest testing with:

- Higher Line of Engagement

- Offside Trap off

- Prevent short GK distribution

I think the best way of solving this problem is to identify its root causes. Are you allowing teams to play out from the back? Can they beat your first level of press? Do you have too few players contributing defensively if they get past your front three? Where are your opponents moving the ball in the middle third? Where are they entering the final third? My hypothesis is that your flanks are to exposed and that they get into your third there.

So you're playing: High defensive line, standard LOE, standard pressing aggressiveness, and not counter pressing?

Never tried it, but sounds like a recipe for long vertical passing (over the top or through the lines) cutting you open. For me, if you're playing a high line, then you gotta press the ball. If you don't want to do that, then drop your line back to standard. Which direction you go there would likely change my advice otherwise...

However, looking at your tactic, the main thing I desperately want to change is making Sancho an IW. I've found that IWs far outperform IFs, and he epitomizes what you want from an IW. That won't solve your defensive problems, but I think you'll see his production improve drastically. 

I'm a huge fan of HBs in the right setup, but don't think your above tactic warrants one. For me, they're at their best when you're playing an extremely aggressive pressing game, counterpressing, high/very high defensive line/LOE, with your FBs set as attacking WBs. If you wanna go more aggressive, then that might make sense, otherwise...

I'd consider flipping Luis and Tonali. Playing the former as a Carrilero (or more defensive CM role), then use Tonali as a deeper DLP (or exotic equivalent). That gives you better cover on the right side and puts the ball at Tonali's feet more. 

3 hours ago, dejarik said:

Sorry, I misread. It seems you want to press from the front. I would suggest testing with:

- Higher Line of Engagement

- Offside Trap off

- Prevent short GK distribution

I think the best way of solving this problem is to identify its root causes. Are you allowing teams to play out from the back? Can they beat your first level of press? Do you have too few players contributing defensively if they get past your front three? Where are your opponents moving the ball in the middle third? Where are they entering the final third? My hypothesis is that your flanks are to exposed and that they get into your third there.

I am using a split press with the 3 attackers and the attacking mezzala!

I find teams do play the ball around my team to easily, but I don’t want to be too aggressive and leave too many players out of position and get caught out that way.

the flanks are where they tend to score from. Crosses in to the box mainly and pull backs etc....

18 minutes ago, Sarriball14 said:

I am using a split press with the 3 attackers and the attacking mezzala!

AHH!!!

Less experience with split pressing. I don't think I've done so with a high defensive line. I also don't think I've included CMs in a "split" press, and I certainly haven't split within that line of my team, where one/two CMs are pressing and one/two are not. It just seems uneven and exploitable. Not saying it can't work, just that it doesn't work in my brain. In my mind, you either play 4231/424 and press with your front four or 433/3412/etc. and press with your front three. 

I envision a void behind Mount on one side and in front of Tonali on the other. If they attack the space behind Mount, then either your LB gets pulled out of position, creating massive amounts of space on your left defensive flank, or they can run at your back 2.5 with little resistance. I still think you're vulnerable to a vertical passing game, especially in that moment right after breaking your split press as well. 

Check the analytics and/or watch some of the goals against you. Does that support my hypotheses? If not, where are the goals coming from? Depending on your sample size, it could be good to look at quality chances as well.