Help - West Brom

I'm a possession based "manager"/player, I love to follow Cleon and Herne's threads, but I still have problems with all the roles, partnerships and attribute selection. This last one I think it's probably my worst problem, because I know what I want, but I can't figure out what's the most important when I can't sign a good all around player and I never know what should be the minimum I'm aiming. 

8e71a6255543391402c3e183d985af27.png

The tactic is simple, I wanted 2 midfield players to take the game like Iniesta and Xavi, two IWs that play by the middle and also can play down the wing paired with the WB and with Trincão showing up in front of the goal more (tried IF, but he just don't do jack ----). I also wanted the AP to come forward and the DLF to drop from the defensive line and try achieving some separation to disrupt the defensive line. The thing is, I don't see much disruption because I don't have players with the try killer balls trait nor I feel like I'm attacking space the right way, what happens is I make a U in from of their box.

STs:

5bf0711a1515f7ad9586cd7d7cd6cecb.png

355ae4206e3924cbc8cdf20a0c1405ca.png

18ac0dadec882dff58cc9fa807d9c461.png

Wingers:

6b5b7e8f5a33e9db40be24772bd6e6af.png

945f7dad235647cd3d924b25ef635707.png

435a5af20cfb426951d96aa3efbf308e.png

dcfd743901769125b8f852c3b55c33cc.png

Midfielders:

5084dc29a7d0b8c53307cd2064555ac4.png

af4931aafa0d3a30734a28fe790340b1.png

fb867911e3614a13d7209212b2909455.png

cdd2da2c7c02517f8971ef0f40371a22.png

c41098cc914ba89475b41cb47c047c7a.png

a3d0ff1d85340685e7ee8e66ce9b1a61.png

@Rashidi @herne79

Hi @Razor940 so if I understand correctly. the AMR player (Trincao) is intended as the main goalscorer?  If so that makes matters a little more tricky.  You may need to play wider and try to get the ball down the left to free Trincao for more 1v1's on the right.  To work the ball left have more support roles and playmakers that side of the pitch.  That means losing the roaming playmaker on the right.  Search the forum or Google for threads on creating overloads.

Alternatively you go fashion something more straightforward especially given you are a Championship side.  The no.9 position becomes the de facto striker and the team becomes geared around him being the main scorer.

Finally it both images of games the opposition are getting a few shots off against you.  You could be more aggressive in recovering the ball I think.  It may help in fact with both shots against and possession.

6 minutos atrás, Robson 07 disse:

Hi @Razor940 so if I understand correctly. the AMR player (Trincao) is intended as the main goalscorer?  If so that makes matters a little more tricky.  You may need to play wider and try to get the ball down the left to free Trincao for more 1v1's on the right.  To work the ball left have more support roles and playmakers that side of the pitch.  That means losing the roaming playmaker on the right.  Search the forum or Google for threads on creating overloads.

Alternatively you go fashion something more straightforward especially given you are a Championship side.  The no.9 position becomes the de facto striker and the team becomes geared around him being the main scorer.

Finally it both images of games the opposition are getting a few shots off against you.  You could be more aggressive in recovering the ball I think.  It may help in fact with both shots against and possession.

I would love to have everyone in the front 3 scoring goals, but I can never do that on FM, so yes, him or Pellegri. The thing with Pellegri is - i will probably have to make him more like a poacher and then I lose that link to the attack. I probably would have to go with someone from the wing playing inside like a 10, but I don't think I have the players, and Yari would be sweet there, but he needs to improve his off ball first. 

How I would do your suggestion on your second paragraph without going all in on crosses?

Edited by Razor940

16 minutes ago, Razor940 said:

How I would do your suggestion on your second paragraph without going all in on crosses?

With a no.9 type of striker, I would go winger* one side, and a say an inside forward of the other to act a bit like a 2nd striker whilst giving you a different approach from each flank.  The two midfielders: one a creator/passer and the other a runner from deep to arrive late in the box.  With good movement and options that you should get from such a tactic then I think you'll still get decent possession anyway assuming you avoid 'long balls'.

There is possibly a few ways you could tailor things to your players on such a theme, so that's purely an example.

Edit*

Couple of things about wingers that sometimes get missed.  1) they are good for 'pinning' opponents i.e. occupying an area.  2) used from the attacking midfield strata, so AML or AMR, they will also get into the box from the weak-side.  That is to say when the ball is worked down the opposite flank in the build up.

Edited by Robson 07

3 hours ago, Razor940 said:

8e71a6255543391402c3e183d985af27.png

I'm a possession based "manager"/player

Apart from other problematic elements of your tactic, you need to know that the AP on attack duty is a lot more suited to counter-attacking than possession-based styles of football. 

1 hora atrás, Experienced Defender disse:

Apart from other problematic elements of your tactic, you need to know that the AP on attack duty is a lot more suited to counter-attacking than possession-based styles of football. 

Why? 

Why?

Because AP on attack duty - the emphasis is on the attack duty - tends to be a lot more speculative and progressive with his passing, looking to make things happen sooner rather than later, which runs counter to the very essence of possession-based football. And even more so on higher mentalities (such as your Positive), which further encourage this tendency. 

If you want a possession style, then AP on support or DLP (on either duty) are both more suitable options than an AP on attack (especially if he's played in central midfield).

36 minutos atrás, Experienced Defender disse:

Because AP on attack duty - the emphasis is on the attack duty - tends to be a lot more speculative and progressive with his passing, looking to make things happen sooner rather than later, which runs counter to the very essence of possession-based football. And even more so on higher mentalities (such as your Positive), which further encourage this tendency. 

If you want a possession style, then AP on support or DLP (on either duty) are both more suitable options than an AP on attack (especially if he's played in central midfield).

The thing is I need some player like that, a guy that knows when to create chaos, and I feel like AP on support is too passive.

• 2 weeks later...