Midfield trio: 2-1 in attack, 1-2 in defense

I have just started playing FM19, having not played the series for years. My goal is to create the following shape in attack:

yvqwkQI.png

So, my first attempt was to set up the tactic like this:

5FKeG9z.png

With some extra instructions for the AMR/Ls, I am fairly content with the shape, except for the midfield trio.

The DM and the MCl basically stand on top of eachother in attack, rather than beside one another. I play in the lower leagues, so the players do not have good values for off the ball, teamwork, etc, but I suspect that this is more due to the roles/duties I've given them.

I realize, of course, that a 4-5-1 would be easier to set up to achieve my target attacking shape, but for various reasons I want the 4-1-4-1 shape in defense that I get from using my current formation.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to consistently have the midfield play as a "2-1" in attack and a "1-2" in defence?

Edited by FabianJonsson

Maybe change your Regista to a DLP Defend duty. That way he'll stay back, even when you're on the attack. Also instruct your BWM to get further forward, so in attack he's further up on the pitch, and when you're defending, he'll drop back, because of his Defend duty.

Hope this helps!

Another option you could try, line up your midfield like this (bare in mind that i don't know your players, so i don't know if you got someone who's capable) :

AP

VOLa      DMd

So basically you play with two holding midfielders, but the Segundo Volante will join in attacks (maybe even score some goals) 

No, sorry. I think you misunderstand my goal. I want the opposite of what you are suggesting. I want two defensive midfielders and one more advanced player in ATTACK. One defensive midfielder and two more advanced players in DEFENSE. And in both cases, I want the "two" to be flat. Like so:

x0uPczh.png

I am grateful that you try to help, but I am not struggling to get results, or to get a system that is working. I am trying to achieve a very specific goal, and I'm struggling to do that.

Edited by FabianJonsson

I guess one thing I could try is to shift the DM to the DMr slot. This would weaken the defensive shape somewhat, but maybe not enough to cause too much problems. I will try that when I get a chance to play again and update the thread if it works.

UPCa8si.png

Edited by FabianJonsson

I know. That's why I don't want to use 2 DMs. I want a 4-1-4-1 in defense, so I line up with a 4-1-2-2-1. My problem, as stated and shown above, is that I want the midfield trio to "rotate" from a 1-2 to a 2-1 when we attack.

I am not just trying to create a solid tactic, I'm trying an experiment where I want a very particular movement pattern. So no offense, but I am not interested in any generic tactical advice. I am ONLY interested in tips from people who have successfully gotten their midfield to "rotate" going from defense to attack.

Edited by FabianJonsson

2 hours ago, FabianJonsson said:

I want two defensive midfielders and one more advanced player in ATTACK. One defensive midfielder and two more advanced players in DEFENSE

Oops, my bad.

My last idea would be to keep the Regista. Your two advanced midfielders could be a CMsu and your APa. Add PI: stay wider and hold position to the CMsu. If i'm correct, your regista would push up, slotting in next to the CM, who will stay slightly wider, and thus create a little space for your Regista to join him. 

Your APa obviously would push up, and join attacks.

4 hours ago, FabianJonsson said:

The DM and the MCl basically stand on top of eachother in attack,

So those two are the problem? Have you tried moving the REG(S) to DMCR? It'll be asymmetrical if you don't want the BWM(D) being in the DMCL slot but it's the only way I can think of without them sitting on top of each other  

Edited by Johnny Ace

On 25/10/2019 at 13:09, Br4nco said:

Oops, my bad.

My last idea would be to keep the Regista. Your two advanced midfielders could be a CMsu and your APa. Add PI: stay wider and hold position to the CMsu. If i'm correct, your regista would push up, slotting in next to the CM, who will stay slightly wider, and thus create a little space for your Regista to join him. 

Your APa obviously would push up, and join attacks.

Good idea! I will try that. Thanks!

I've achieved something similar with the DM as a simple DM(s) and the MCL as a DLP(s). The playmaker moves around a bit to try to pick up the ball, and the DM(s) moves up into whatever space the DLP has left open. I put the MCR as either a Mez(a) or a CM(a), as I find two playmakers get in each other's way, and there wont be enough forward movement from midfield. So, in defence:

DLP(s)    CM(a)

DM(s)

And in attack:

CM(a)

DLP(s)      DM(s)