Player Promise when negotiating contract renewal

FrazT

Sometimes when faced with an unhappy player, the manager will state that the player will be offered a new deal at the end of the season.  The player will usually accept this quite happily.  If, however, a contract is offered and not accepted, this means an immediate news item about a broken promise, an unhappy player and sometimes even an unhappy squad.

In my view, if a reasonable attempt has been made to offer a deal and negotiate acceptance, this should not be looked on as a broken promise because the original promise was that there would be a contract offer, not that there would be an offer that the player was happy with.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe that the game already can tell you've tried to fulfil the promise because one of the explanations to the player is something like "well I offered you a contract and you didn't accept it". I think it's understandable that the player is unhappy that you've not offered the contract they wanted, but I think it should be possible to start another conversation with them to address the issue before the squad gets upset too. 

Am 12.9.2019 um 08:33 schrieb ferrarinseb:

Agree. It should be reworded as Promised for Contract talks rather than Contract renewal. So if talks are held they can be successful or Unsuccessful shouldn't determine the Promise but whether Manager (AI/Player) started talking with agent or not. 

Weakness of this approach: It could lead to sham offers. I promised just contract talks? Okay, I offer you the current wage plus 1 pound more a week. Deal? No, fine, but kept my promise...

• 10 months later...