Telling players they will be rested

Is there any point doing this? I find it only has the potential to make them unhappy and ask you not to rest them, whereas If you just leave a player out for one game, he doesn't have an issue with it, from my experience. I suppose It might be useful if you want to leave them out for a few games, so they know why they are suddenly out of the team. I assume this would be the only time that it would make sense to use it?

I only ever do on two conditions with my key players:

1) My staff point out they are jaded and could do with a rest
2) I think I can win the next game with their backup/rotation option

9/10 they always agree with me, but on the occasion they tell me they dont want to be rested I agree with them and include them in the next game, as them saying they don't need a break also removes their Jaded/need a rest status.

If I really need them in the next game, I just dont bother interacting with them, and instead manually rest them from training in the days leading up to the next match.

Seconded. @RoversRob does the same as I do. Never get a complaint when 'rotated' but once I get the memo from staff (or notice the icon) I speak to the player, and never had a negative response.

Well-managed squad rotation and I maybe get it once or twice over four seasons in my current save.