Progression not realistic enough

Has anyone found Career progression far to easy in almost every FM?

Eg FM19:- I started unemployed with Semi-Pro experience, National Licence C. I started at Wrexham with just outside relegation I saved them and improved a little next, I wasn't much higher than expected, did not succeed much in cups and within 9 months got offered a championship job with Fulham. I save Fulham and by now are on National A licence I get them promoted and to safety in the EPL, I then get the Man City(This is the only application I make in all examples) job ahead of all the usual candidates that would be linked with them IRL.

FM20:- My first Save. Start Semi-Pro Nat C licence. Aberystwyth ''1/2* Club'' offer me the job at start of pre-season 2018, they pay for my coaching badges so are on my A licence course by January, an unspectacular season upto then meeting expectations but stuck in the relegation half so accept (Without an application ), Chester National League North offer my a job they are  a ''1* Club'' with potential and ''secure'' financially , a poor second half season but avoid relegation meeting expectations, next season start poorly. play boring football to avoid defeats by January with another coaching badge I sit below mid table just off the relegation zone I get offered an interview with Championship Nottingham Forest Iose out to Stale Solbakken. A Week later a recently relegated  Bradford City 2 1/2* star league one club offer me their managers job with attacking football required in philosophies (I have not played this way yet in my career). I save them from relegation (just) then in my first full season I finish 5th after a excellent start putting me in the top three until a dramatic loss of form leaves me scraping into the play-offs and ultimately losing heavily in the semis. During the season I'm offered an improved salary and 18 month extension to my contract. Second full season my attacking formations been found out, I struggle in early 2022 but am studying for my Pro Licence, my rep is 2*, I've won nothing, have zero awards, have one top half finish and am now being interviewed and offered Championship jobs, with 3* clubs. Each time I'm being favoured instead of far more successful managers with pro-licences and international playing experience.

These two examples are of my most memorable very long term saves they are also the first on each edition. But I do find the career progression far to fast in FM, it's common on FM for a Manager to jump from Non-League to a big championship job but once I can think this happened IRL which was the one who left National League FGR for Leeds United and lasted all of a few games. The reason for remembering this is simple, it was so rare!!, there are a few RL managers who've made the jump from L1/2 into the championship mainly due to their style football and successes. But in FM the AI moves up rarely but is behind the player for bigger jobs frequently. I understand the game cannot match RL as the fun element of moving through the leagues would be lost, but Isn't it a little to easy to do?   

It depends...

I've got snubbed by Orlando Pirates despite having led Cameroon to two African Cup of Nations, Hungary to 2nd in 2026 World Cup and Russia to 1st in Euro2028. And at a club level, depsite having managed in crappy countries like British Virgin Islands, North Korea and New Zealand, I've always delivered league titles and cup wins, also continental ones.

So I was a tad surprised to see their average Caretaker Manager to get the job. Now I'm with Black Leopards on the way to a glorious comeback for continental qualification from the lowly 12th they were when I joined.

However in other saves I got indeed offered much better jobs in high-profile leagues much earlier.

I suspect it has a lot to do with: nationality, starting experience and badges and active leagues. Basically if you're an English semi-pro player, English sides will trust you more and will take a gamble on you even though your record isn't that impressive.

1 hour ago, RBKalle said:

It depends...

I've got snubbed by Orlando Pirates despite having led Cameroon to two African Cup of Nations, Hungary to 2nd in 2026 World Cup and Russia to 1st in Euro2028. And at a club level, depsite having managed in crappy countries like British Virgin Islands, North Korea and New Zealand, I've always delivered league titles and cup wins, also continental ones.

So I was a tad surprised to see their average Caretaker Manager to get the job. Now I'm with Black Leopards on the way to a glorious comeback for continental qualification from the lowly 12th they were when I joined.

However in other saves I got indeed offered much better jobs in high-profile leagues much earlier.

I suspect it has a lot to do with: nationality, starting experience and badges and active leagues. Basically if you're an English semi-pro player, English sides will trust you more and will take a gamble on you even though your record isn't that impressive.

I've been offered the Chinese manager job in previous FM's after taking Glentoran to sixth in the NIPL in my first role, they were skint so couldn't put me through Coaching Badges. They were hosting the WC instead of Qatar in two years and Marcelo Lippi, Sven Goran Eriksson were doing exceptionally well in CSL at the time. IRL this would be a massive job appealing to plenty of big names I got £60,000 a week contract.

I think there's an intentional bias towards giving you the job, because whilst it's realistic for most managers who've spent a short period at a low level to never get another management job at a playable level, it's not much fun.

Does get a bit silly with international management (and especially international youth team management) of low to middle ranked teams as it seems there often aren't any other candidates for the job, so if they don't have a database value set to bias them towards hiring managers of their own nationality they probably will hire you. (A random English dude with semi-pro experience managing Laos or St Kitts and Nevis is believable, but not a top African U21 side or China)

I got offered the Holland job after leading an unfancied Birmingham squad to the Championship title I was a N Ireland International with just a National A licence (I got Birmingham to pay for the next level)..Unrealistic in RL but then FM isn't RL so anything is possible.

A test:- Currently manager of Nottingham Forest for two months after 22 months setting nothing alight at Bradford with this season starting poorly, its December 2022 England have just beaten Nigeria in the WC final in Qatar 2022 Semi Finals England V USA, Nigeria V Jamaica the heat looks to have done the big countries over. Now after the finals there are a few International jobs available, in order of reputation:-  England, Spain, France, Argentina, Italy, Brazil, Belgium among a few others. Now one I match as first language,  Spain has English as ''Good''. I've applied for England lets see what happens. I've not yet got my Pro Licence or am I English.

Archived