Will FM take advantage of 3900x?

1 hour ago, Calculating Infinity said:

I'm terribly undecided on what way to go with my next pc upgrade, especially since it's impossible to find good benchmarks on FM and the new 3900x

Does anyone know how FM handles it?

Historically speaking, every single version of FM (including the latest one) has a preference for high single-thread performance. Yes, it will use all the cores you throw at it, BUT the overall speed of the game will be heavily dictaed by the single core performance / frequency. For example:

- on my desktop PC I have the Ryzen 5 2600 overclocked at exactly 4Ghz.

- on my new laptop, Lenovo Legion Y740 I have an i7 9750H, which I undervolted and now it stays constant at a stable 4.0 Ghz.

- So, judging by the number of cores and frequency they should run identical in FM, but they don't. The i7 9750H runs slightly faster becayse Intel has a better single core performance, even though it's a mobile CPU against a full fledged desktop CPU (Ryzen 5 2600).

Most of the times when you hit CONTINUE in FM, it's a short burst process which will always favor higher clockspeed / single core perfoamance because the action takes very little time, so you won't take advantage of a high number of cores. Also keep in mind that the game engine is fine tuned for older hardware as well, because SI want everyone to be able to play the game at some level. One thing is for sure: if you already have a nice CPU, DO NOT upgrade for FM purposes because you will strugle to see any difference. I hope this helps.

17 hours ago, SebastianRO said:

Historically speaking, every single version of FM (including the latest one) has a preference for high single-thread performance. Yes, it will use all the cores you throw at it, BUT the overall speed of the game will be heavily dictaed by the single core performance / frequency. For example:

- on my new laptop, Lenovo Legion Y740 I have an i7 9750H, which I undervolted and now it stays constant at a stable 4.0 Ghz.

- So, judging by the number of cores and frequency they should run identical in FM, but they don't. The i7 9750H runs slightly faster becayse Intel has a better single core performance, even though it's a mobile CPU against a full fledged desktop CPU (Ryzen 5 2600).

Most of the times when you hit CONTINUE in FM, it's a short burst process which will always favor higher clockspeed / single core perfoamance because the action takes very little time, so you won't take advantage of a high number of cores. Also keep in mind that the game engine is fine tuned for older hardware as well, because SI want everyone to be able to play the game at some level. One thing is for sure: if you already have a nice CPU, DO NOT upgrade for FM purposes because you will strugle to see any difference. I hope this helps.

:thup::thup::thup:Totally agree. The single-core max. frequency matters.

Multi-core helps you as a streamer.

18 hours ago, SebastianRO said:

This is true, I recently massively upgraded my CPU from an old i5 4540 to a Ryzen 2700X.

Game runs about the same, I didnt upgrade for football manager it was that time, my rig was starting to struggle with demanding games.

On 21/07/2019 at 14:36, SebastianRO said:

Very informative post thank you.

I am not also just upgrading for FM. I do play a lot of CS:GO as well at high refresh rate (240hz...), and the 3900x and 9900k are almost identical when it comes to CS:GO and high refresh rates. Getting those last frames out of CSGO does matter to me, and I am just undecided about those two CPU's atm.

1 hour ago, Calculating Infinity said:

Very informative post thank you.

I am not also just upgrading for FM. I do play a lot of CS:GO as well at high refresh rate (240hz...), and the 3900x and 9900k are almost identical when it comes to CS:GO and high refresh rates. Getting those last frames out of CSGO does matter to me, and I am just undecided about those two CPU's atm.

I play CSGO on my laptop on an i7 -9750 and I can tell you for a fact that this CPU along with a RTX 2060 (laptop version) keeps the game at a stable 240 - 300 fps on medium details. Granted, my display is 144Hz, but i just wanted ti give you an ideea about what to expect.

On 21/07/2019 at 12:13, Calculating Infinity said:

I'm terribly undecided on what way to go with my next pc upgrade, especially since it's impossible to find good benchmarks on FM and the new 3900x

Does anyone know how FM handles it?

Here's how it works

On 15/11/2017 at 17:06, Neil Brock said:

I spoke to someone and this is the jist of what he and I came to:

For how the game uses threads - it will create as many threads for playing matches and shortlisting as you have cores (including hyperthreads).

But the performance you see varies on the setup for example with matches - Quick Matches for instance (so for loaded but non-managed in leagues) it's are so fast anyway it gets to the point where it doesn't make that much more difference having more cores.

If you use detail level to set more stuff to full match you'll start seeing betters gains for more cores, but of course will still be slower than by just not having the league loaded, or having it at a low detail level.

Similar sort of thing with shortlisting the more / leagues players you have loaded the more benefits you can potentially see with more cores, however this is probably more than offset by the general slowdown from having more stuff loading as there's still a large portion of the game which is single threaded

In regards to best processors, as a general guide we tend to suggest using the following comparison site as a good gauge of the performance capabilities - https://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmark-List.2436.0.html 

Basic rule of thumb is the higher it is on the list, the better it is. You can edit it to show processors for desktops and also those that are considered 'archived' via the restriction options. 

Hope some of this is of use. 

You have more than enough cores etc. to take advantage of where it works for FM.

And in regards to single threaded performance you are nearly top of the list here

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Archived