Insist players play in trained positions? U23 and U18 and 1st team tactics questions

Can you instruct your U23 and U18 managers to play players in specific positions?

I have some younger players learning new positions and want them to be played in those positions in every match. I think I've seen other posters alluding to doing this but I can't find any details on it for the life of me.

Also, I have my U23 and U18 squads playing with first team tactics. However, when I alternate bewteen my 3 first team tactics it also changes the tactics for the U23s and U18s which may not be suitable for their upcoming matches.

Can the U23 and U18 managers be set to choose between the 3 main tactics? I don't think so, but I might have missed something.

How do others mange this?

• SI Staff

Select them in the desired position via the Squad or Tactics pages as you would for the First Team. This will see them used in that position in U23/U18 matches where possible.

4 minutes ago, mikelfc8 said:

Also, I have my U23 and U18 squads playing with first team tactics. However, when I alternate bewteen my 3 first team tactics it also changes the tactics for the U23s and U18s which may not be suitable for their upcoming matches.

Can the U23 and U18 managers be set to choose between the 3 main tactics? I don't think so, but I might have missed something.

If you've saved your tactics, you can set them to only play a specific one

990316824_Screenshot2019-06-25at12_12_46.thumb.png.feea44a1b60e0156df919402f1a8f0e5.png

The underlined option wouldn't be greyed out, so you'd be able to pick one.

Otherwise if you select "use first team tactics" then they'll use whichever one you've currently selected. If your reserves don't play on the same days as the first team you probably could change your first team tactic to the one you want them to use each time. Would add quite a few more clicks to your game though. 

4 hours ago, Seb Wassell said:

Select them in the desired position via the Squad or Tactics pages as you would for the First Team. This will see them used in that position in U23/U18 matches where possible.

Thanks Seb, that's what I have been doing. Good to know I'm not missing something.

4 hours ago, zlatanera said:

If you've saved your tactics, you can set them to only play a specific one

990316824_Screenshot2019-06-25at12_12_46.thumb.png.feea44a1b60e0156df919402f1a8f0e5.png

The underlined option wouldn't be greyed out, so you'd be able to pick one.

Otherwise if you select "use first team tactics" then they'll use whichever one you've currently selected. If your reserves don't play on the same days as the first team you probably could change your first team tactic to the one you want them to use each time. Would add quite a few more clicks to your game though. 

Interesting. I do have my tactics saved and the U18s and U23s have been using them all season (7-8 games so far) but the option is still greyed-out. I wonder if it has to hit a minimum number of uses to qualify as 'previously used'?

Thanks. I'll keep an eye on it.

52 minutes ago, mikelfc8 said:

Thanks Seb, that's what I have been doing. Good to know I'm not missing something.

Interesting. I do have my tactics saved and the U18s and U23s have been using them all season (7-8 games so far) but the option is still greyed-out. I wonder if it has to hit a minimum number of uses to qualify as 'previously used'?

Thanks. I'll keep an eye on it.

No, you should be able to set it from day one of the save. Try removing the tactic from your selection options, then load it again for the first team, then try again for the youth teams perhaps

5 hours ago, zlatanera said:

No, you should be able to set it from day one of the save. Try removing the tactic from your selection options, then load it again for the first team, then try again for the youth teams perhaps

Hmmmm. Just tried that and it's still greyed out. Think I'll post it as a bug.

If you have use First Team Tactics selected, then it does restrict you a little when selecting the U23/U18s.

Formation, roles and duties can;t be altered as they will mirror whatever set up your First Team has at the time.

Just now, Snorks said:

If you have use First Team Tactics selected, then it does restrict you a little when selecting the U23/U18s.

Formation, roles and duties can;t be altered as they will mirror whatever set up your First Team has at the time.

Yep, that seems to be the case. It's making me wonder about the managers of the other squads and whether they have their own version of creative freedom.

I might try just setting a generic formation for a while - 4123 wide - and select the players I want in the correct positions, Then leave the rest to the managers.

35 minutes ago, mikelfc8 said:

Yep, that seems to be the case. It's making me wonder about the managers of the other squads and whether they have their own version of creative freedom.

I might try just setting a generic formation for a while - 4123 wide - and select the players I want in the correct positions, Then leave the rest to the managers.

Yeah I am wondering whether to experiment a bit with this. I have a first team tactic that uses Am-A in AMC position but am developing a youngster as an AP - would like to bring that into the youth team without changing first team. Am just wary of the time it will take me in game-ply. 

Also, I don;t know if, say,  I want my U18s to become familiar with the 4231 I play with, but change my First Team to go 4141DM Wide against Liverpool I assume the tactic changes to match in the U18s settngs?

I don't want to manage the U18s full-fat as it were, but I am looking for a bit more control.

Just now, Snorks said:

Yeah I am wondering whether to experiment a bit with this. I have a first team tactic that uses Am-A in AMC position but am developing a youngster as an AP - would like to bring that into the youth team without changing first team. Am just wary of the time it will take me in game-ply. 

Also, I don;t know if, say,  I want my U18s to become familiar with the 4231 I play with, but change my First Team to go 4141DM Wide against Liverpool I assume the tactic changes to match in the U18s settngs?

I don't want to manage the U18s full-fat as it were, but I am looking for a bit more control.

Agreed. It shouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility to be able to say to your U18 manager - 'play so and so as an an AP in the AMC position no matter what I'm doing with the senior squad' - without having to actually be the U18 manager yourself.

"Play him in the position, role, duty you are training him for"

I will dig around and try stuff out when I get chance - admittedly not something I was too fussed with before now, but it looks like I am at Bramall Lane for a few years so looking to bring some kids through.

Archived