Attempting 1000 passes

Now that the season is over, I've decided to have some fun with FM and start a career with my beloved Man United (something I never do btw). I am desperate to create a dominating possession tactic, where we attempt 700-900 passes per game. Should I be looking at all the Pep Guardiola tactics on here or can someone help me in how to create this?

I belive 4-3-3 is the best formation in which to do this, with 2 WBs and a F9. What do you all think?

4 hours ago, tbuxton92 said:

I am desperate to create a dominating possession tactic, where we attempt 700-900 passes per game. Should I be looking at all the Pep Guardiola tactics on here or can someone help me in how to create this?

I would recommend you first read this thread by Herne. It's exactly about possession football. But read it carefully and don't just look to copy-paste his tactic. Instead, try to understand the principles.

Btw, I am managing Utd and while I don't play possession football (though we usually do dominate possession), I know the players very well, so I guess I could offer some useful advice if you are interested.

On 18/05/2019 at 10:05, tbuxton92 said:

I believe 4-3-3 is the best formation in which to do this, with 2 WBs and an F9. What do you all think?

I don't feel that the 4-3-3, as it is presented in FM, is the best formation to choose when trying to adopt a possession-based style although it can be made to work. What are you basing that belief on?

From my perspective, a possession-based style needs players that are close to each other at all times to give an abundance of passing triangles. The problem with the 4-3-3 is that it has a starting point where there are huge gaps between players on the flanks and between the lone striker and central midfield. Better alternatives would be formations which pack the central areas such as a narrow diamond.

Archived