Shameless brag, but...

... I've managed to return Racing CFF Colombes 92 (formerly Racing Club de Paris) to the French Ligue 1. It's something I've always wanted to do in FM, so please excuse the brag - I just had to share it with someone else other than my disinterested wife. 

I had a great career with them in CM 01/02 (when they were in Ligue 2), but are now down to National 3 in FM19. I did the promotions in consecutive seasons, which due to the amount of reserve teams in the National leagues, was easier than expected. The hardest part was getting out of Ligue 2 (finished 2nd behind Troyes), but decent tactics, plus momentum (I did not switch my laptop off for the second half of the season when we hit form) helped us through.

My long term aim with this save was to topple PSG and make Les Racingmen the dominant Parisian team again. However, with 90k wage budget and only 3 million to spend on strengthening a young squad, I've got absolutely no change of doing that - let alone avoiding relegation. With my 'Icon' status secure, I'll see how the season pans out before I decide to stay or go.

Either way, it's been a really enjoyable save so far.   

rcp02.jpg

never know, a couple of good results could come if teams underestimate you at the start. if you are a low enough threat (reputation) even some of the other bottom teams could ignore your chances and go all out, you could get some really big scores going direct...

hope you stick with it, even if you do go back down

Well, you will have other promoted teams who must not be too far from you in quality, since you all came up together. Couple of wins against the smaller teams in the leagues and who knows what will happen.

I'd try and get a couple of players in on loan to help add some quality. Particularly from Lyon, who always have excellent young players. 

I definitely wouldn't stop, you never know what's possible if you manage to sign the right bargain. Seems like your tactics are working. This is my second season with Sporting Gijon, perhaps a bigger club already but still:

image.thumb.png.0537a5b5dfd1392dc0b1dcbcf1e42c7f.png

Yeah, I'm sticking with them for this season.  Apart from getting my backside handed to me on a plate, away to Monaco - we've done surprisingly well. Just come up to the December 2022 World Cup break and we're in the top 8.  I'll put some picture up when I get home.

The biggest problem I'm having is being able to attract quality older players to sign. I think it'll take a few more seasons before the reputation of the club catches up with out league status. 

24 minutes ago, wattzy said:

Well done mate great achievement. 

Have to pick up on the not turning your laptop off bit though - you do realise it’s not a thing don’t you?

It's been for me when I leave a bit of a gap. Nothing to do with the game just human failings. After a long gap I forget some of the things I was doing or planning and can affect results. 

4 hours ago, wattzy said:

Well done mate great achievement. 

Have to pick up on the not turning your laptop off bit though - you do realise it’s not a thing don’t you?

Yeah, it's more superstition for me.  When there's championship at stake, I always try to play the run-in without saving. Daft I know, but I've been doing it for years.

Here's the league table after 14 games. As you can see, I'm doing alright and picking up points. Best win was a 6-0 thrashing of Nancy. Against the bigger teams, I beat Marseille 3-2 at home but got battered 7-3 by Monaco. Yet to play PSG though.

rcp03.jpg

Archived