Imbalanced contract negotiations..

Controlling Man Utd. Just won league and champions league.

Offered player (Milinkovic-Savic) a contract he asks for. 275k per week. 11.8m loyalty bonus. 53k app fee. 32k goal bonus. 18k sub fee.

Man City (computer AI). Finished 3rd. Won nothing. Had disappointing season overall.

Offers same player a contract. Basically half of whatever I was made to offer.

He goes to Man City.

Now, irregardless of how illogical this seems. I do think the game is like instantly coded to just make things ridiculous for us. Besides the fact that i’m constantly getting bids for my own players that are way below their value while I have to make ridiculous offers to other clubs when I want theirs. Still, this contract one gets on my nerves and ita not the first time ita happened as well. I had the same situation pop up in another save, except he went to Chelsea (who finished 5th) in another save. 

Yeah, that'll be it. The game's programmed to favour the AI over the human manager. :rolleyes:

23 minutes ago, Euzio said:

I do think the game is like instantly coded to just make things ridiculous for us. Besides the fact that i’m constantly getting bids for my own players that are way below their value while I have to make ridiculous offers to other clubs when I want theirs.

You're not thinking about things from the other team's perspective at all.

When it comes to negotiation, you never make your best offer straight away, and the AI tends to act along those lines. The initial low offers could be to try and unsettle your player. Stand firm and reject the initial bids, and then see if they come back with more serious offers. In my Fiorentina save, this patient negotiating helped me to sell Giovanni Simeone to Everton for €64million, which was more than twice Everton's initial bid, and more than three times his value.

On the other side of the table, you'll find that it's naturally quite difficult to sign a player who's not for sale, especially if they're young.

Let's assume that you're trying to sign an 18-year-old Phil Foden from Man City. He might be valued at £5million, but when you offer that, City might ask for £100million. That 'ridiculous' price tag is not City saying, "He's yours for £100million," but rather them saying, "He's our best young prospect and, as such, he's not for sale unless you offer us silly money."

In some cases, some negotiation skills might be able to cut their asking price down to something more manageable. But if you want to nab another big team's best (or most promising) players, and they're not willing to let him go (and you're not able to unsettle the player), you must be prepared to pay a premium.

30 minutes ago, CFuller said:

Yeah, that'll be it. The game's programmed to favour the AI over the human manager. :rolleyes:

When it comes to negotiation, you never make your best offer straight away, and the AI tends to act along those lines. The initial low offers could be to try and unsettle your player. Stand firm and reject the initial bids, and then see if they come back with more serious offers. In my Fiorentina save, this patient negotiating helped me to sell Giovanni Simeone to Everton for €64million, which was more than twice Everton's initial bid, and more than three times his value.

On the other side of the table, you'll find that it's naturally quite difficult to sign a player who's not for sale, especially if they're young.

Let's assume that you're trying to sign an 18-year-old Phil Foden from Man City. He might be valued at £5million, but when you offer that, City might ask for £100million. That 'ridiculous' price tag is not City saying, "He's yours for £100million," but rather them saying, "He's our best young prospect and, as such, he's not for sale unless you offer us silly money."

In some cases, some negotiation skills might be able to cut their asking price down to something more manageable. But if you want to nab another big team's best (or most promising) players, and they're not willing to let him go (and you're not able to unsettle the player), you must be prepared to pay a premium.

I’m not too bothered by the bids really. Though I do find it ridiculous sometimes.

The main thing i’m talking about is the actual contract negotiation with the player itself. It seems just plain ******** that a player can insist on a huge contract but then decide to go for the team who if u look at them financially, are probably even better than your club, and accept a contract which is basically half of what you accepted in the negotiation. 

1 minute ago, zlatanera said:

@Euzio SM-S  doesn't have City as a favoured club, or any of their personnel on his favoured list does he? Because that could explain the disparity.

Nope. He doesn’t. The irony is that he has a negative in that he is disappointed not to be able to join me announced in public domain because Lazio had rejected an earlier bid

2 hours ago, CFuller said:

That didn't really cover his question though. I have seen the same thing, a player taking a much lower contract offer after he'd rebuffed my much better contract. That is simply not logical. I could see if the lower offer was from one of his favored clubs, but it wasn't. I could even understand if he had favored personnel on that club, but still wasn't the case. The only way to explain it is that there's a lower bar for negotiations between AI clubs and players. This is a flaw. 

In OP's case, why on earth would the player take City's offer if much lower and not as much recent success, and also no favored personnel to speak of? There is no other criteria (or at least not transparent criteria) that would explain it. 

1 hour ago, puffascruffowitz said:

That didn't really cover his question though. I have seen the same thing, a player taking a much lower contract offer after he'd rebuffed my much better contract. That is simply not logical. I could see if the lower offer was from one of his favored clubs, but it wasn't. I could even understand if he had favored personnel on that club, but still wasn't the case. The only way to explain it is that there's a lower bar for negotiations between AI clubs and players. This is a flaw. 

In OP's case, why on earth would the player take City's offer if much lower and not as much recent success, and also no favored personnel to speak of? There is no other criteria (or at least not transparent criteria) that would explain it. 

I was just clearing up the bit about the 'one-sided' offers rather than asking his main question.

To get back on topic, would reputation or squad status have had something to do with Milinkovic-Savic joining City rather than United? Also, don't forget that not all players are motivated by money.

If you feel like the player has made a flawed decision, and you'd like to know why the best thing to do is get it logged as a bug. Rather than being overly diagnostic in reasons, just state what felt wrong about it to you (which seems to be him accepting a lesser offer, from a team with less success in the last season).

Load up a game before you negotiated the contract to be able to look into it best.

Ideally, a point at which your bid has been accepted & Man City jump in too for negotiations is best.

Then get a thread made, along with the save uploaded in the transfers/contracts bug section:

https://community.sigames.com/forum/662-transfers-contracts-and-scouting/

Honestly, this is the best way to find it out because if there is a problem then you'll know, and it's something that will be fixed going forward. Maybe there's a genuine reason that's been overlooked and if nothing else it will add to your knowledge of perhaps that extra little silver bullet you too can use to get a player to pick you over a rival bid.

Things like release clauses can swing it in a clubs favour, or percentage of sell on (to the player) but there's so much to speculate on that really the best resolution is to get it checked out for potential bugs.

Archived