The Charlton Athletic Thread: Season 04/05

FMaddick

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The press conference is to announce the 2 signings we have made that we couldn't announce until now (probably Bryan Hughes and Tahar El Karkouri) and perhaps announce any other signings.

Though i'm slightly concerned that the Rommedahl deal has died icon_frown.gif

Source http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,45-1141091,00.html

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> PSV Eindhoven winger Dennis Rommedahl is set to hold talks with Charlton Athletic over a possible move to The Premiership following Denmark's Euro 2004 exit.

During this summer's prestigious tournament in Portugal The Addicks agreed a fee believed to be around €3 million with the Dutch outfit for the flyer's services.

Unlike some players at Euro 2004, Rommedahl was focussed on his form for Denmark and wanted to give his all for his country before their interest ended.

With Denmark now out of this summer's Championship, following their 3-0 defeat to Czech Republic, Rommedahl is now set to see what Charlton have to offer.

"There has been a lot of talk about Charlton while Euro 2004 was going on, but I was concentrating on Denmark's games," said Rommedahl to BT.

"Now I will travel over and have a look. What happens will happen.

"As far as I am aware PSV and Charlton have agreed on a fee, but I need to discuss it with them first."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fixtures 2004/2005

Dates are provisional and subject to change

August

14 Bolton (A)

21 Portsmouth (H)

24 Aston Villa (H)

28 Man City (A)

September

11 Southampton (H)

18 Birmingham (A)

25 Blackburn (H)

October

2 Arsenal (A)

16 Newcastle (H)

23 Liverpool (A)

30 Middlesbrough (H)

November

6 Tottenham (A)

13 Norwich (H)

20 Man Utd (A)

27 Chelsea (H)

December

4 Crystal Palace (A)

11 West Brom (A)

18 Fulham (H)

26 Southampton (A)

28 Everton (H)

January

1 Arsenal (H)

3 Blackburn (A)

15 Birmingham (H)

22 Everton (A)

February

1 Liverpool (H)

5 Newcastle (A)

12 Tottenham (H)

26 Middlesbrough (A)

March

5 Fulham (A)

19 West Brom (H)

April

2 Man City (H)

9 Portsmouth (A)

16 Bolton (H)

20 Aston Villa (A)

23 Norwich (A)

30 Man Utd (H)

May

7 Chelsea (A)

14 Crystal Palace (H)

Because we came 7th in the premiership and are pushing for europe?

Anyway, not sure there will even be a press conferenc, probably just a press release announcing those two are coming.

If Kezman and Rommedahl sign however I'm sure there will be a press conference.

The Addicks will play in front of the cameras on seven occasions before Christmas - as many times as they were broadcast live during the whole of last season.

That brings extra funds for the club and will also mean further exposure for a side looking to build on their seventh position of 2003/04.

The Addicks have been awarded four home Monday night games, against Southampton, Blackburn Rovers and Fulham, and will also be shown live on Sunday, October 17th, against Newcastle United.

The South London derby with Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park is another Sunday fixture, while the high-profile trips to Liverpool and Manchester United will be shown on the Saturday pay-per-view slots in October and November respectively.

Live on Sky Sports

Charlton v Southampton - Monday, September 13th (8pm)

Charlton v Blackburn Rovers - Monday, September 27th (8pm)

Charlton v Newcastle United - Sunday, October 17th (4:05pm)

Crystal Palace v Charlton - Sunday, December 5th (4:05pm)

Charlton v Fulham - Monday, December 20th (8pm)

Live on pay-per-view

Liverpool v Charlton - Saturday, October 23rd (5:15pm)

Manchester United v Charlton - Saturday, November 20th (12:45pm)

The Addicks will play in front of the cameras on seven occasions before Christmas - as many times as they were broadcast live during the whole of last season.

That brings extra funds for the club and will also mean further exposure for a side looking to build on their seventh position of 2003/04.

The Addicks have been awarded four home Monday night games, against Southampton, Blackburn Rovers and Fulham, and will also be shown live on Sunday, October 17th, against Newcastle United.

The South London derby with Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park is another Sunday fixture, while the high-profile trips to Liverpool and Manchester United will be shown on the Saturday pay-per-view slots in October and November respectively.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Live on Sky Sports

Charlton v Southampton - Monday, September 13th (8pm)

Charlton v Blackburn Rovers - Monday, September 27th (8pm)

Charlton v Newcastle United - Sunday, October 17th (4:05pm)

Crystal Palace v Charlton - Sunday, December 5th (4:05pm)

Charlton v Fulham - Monday, December 20th (8pm)

Live on pay-per-view

Liverpool v Charlton - Saturday, October 23rd (5:15pm)

Manchester United v Charlton - Saturday, November 20th (12:45pm) </pre>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Juni:

If you get Kezman, I'd be surprised, but it would be one hell of a signing. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same feeling here. I'm doubting it will happen, but he hasn't said no yet, so I can still hope icon_biggrin.gif

Yeah, if Charlton do sign the 2 PSV lads then they'd be definitely worth a bet for the UEFA Cup and I could see them going on to win the Carling Cup. Next season will be crucial for you imo. 2 seasons ago Southampton had a great season, like Charlton did last season, but Southampton couldn't keep it up and so took backwards steps last year. I don't think this will happen to Charlton though as they seem to be a sensible club and Curbishley is quite a shrewd manager when it comes to transfers.

What would you guys prefer, Scott Parker or Kezman and Rommedahl?

Rumours on F365:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> GRAVESEN TO CHARLTON?

Alan Curbishley has apparently set his sights on Everton midfielder Thomas Gravesen, after his bid to sign Danish teammate Dennis Rommedahl stalled. Gravesen refuses to sign an extension at Everton unless the club makes some big-money signings - which appears highly unlikely at this stage. Atletico Madrid are also keen on the Dane, who was outstanding at Euro 2004, but Premiership football is still his main aim.

Charlton will also make a cheeky bid for Aston Villa striker Darius Vassell after learning that Villa might be ready to sell him.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by championsfan:

Yeah, if Charlton do sign the 2 PSV lads then they'd be definitely worth a bet for the UEFA Cup and I could see them going on to win the Carling Cup. Next season will be crucial for you imo. 2 seasons ago Southampton had a great season, like Charlton did last season, but Southampton couldn't keep it up and so took backwards steps last year. I don't think this will happen to Charlton though as they seem to be a sensible club and Curbishley is quite a shrewd manager when it comes to transfers.

What would you guys prefer, Scott Parker or Kezman and Rommedahl? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kezman and Rommedahl.

We haven't had a winger or a proper goalscorer for years and years.

Parker has burnt too many bridges for the moment, not that I wouldn't like to see all three at the valley icon_biggrin.gif

IIRC, we had an official thread last year that lasted about three days before it sunk away but hopefully this year's version is more successful.

Really looking forward to the coming year. Amazing how having some money to spend makes the summers so much more interesting, eh? If we can finally get a proven goal scorer, I think we've got the chance to be a legitimate Europe threat again this year...

Ridiculous rumour du jour

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

Charlton Athletic are chasing Aston Villa striker Darius Vassell.

The Mirror says Charlton boss Alan Curbishley is plotting a cut-price offer for England international Vassell.

Having blown most of his summer budget on AC Milan defender Martin Laursen, Villa boss David O'Leary needs to raise fresh funds to continue his squad rebuilding.

Curbishley is desperate to find a new, pacy striker after losing Chelsea's Carlton Cole. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RedRob:

Well from changing the link numbers of stories on teh site one came up about Rommedahls 4 year deal, with pictures of him in a charlton shirt icon_cool.gif

He says he turned down Spurs as well \o/ <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good to know he isn't stupid icon_smile.gif

Well we have signed Hughes offically now, but no news on anyone else yet. We are meant to be getting 7 signings, 2 done already.

7 signings, 7 games on sky, 7th place icon_cool.gif

Strange cafc site has the sky fixtures but the sky site doesn't icon_confused.gif

I started the last official thread when I had just joined the board but now I know what it's all about icon_wink.gif

I must say I'm confused by all the stuff about today, where are the '2 signings I can only announce on July 1st'

The official website is carrying the story saying we've signed Hughes so I know that's true, but where's anything about El-Karkouri who we all assume is the 2nd transfer?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Kanu's available and we all know a lot about him but there's nothing in that at the moment," Curbishley said. "But we've been linked with lots of players and that's the way it is at the moment, there's not much business being done and newspapers have to write about something.

He added: "I want to bring another two to three players in for sure. We know who they are, it's just a question of trying to get it done before the window closes.

"We've signed three players already, one you know about - the Danish number two goalkeeper Stephan Andersen - and we've signed two others that can't be announced until July 1st.

"There aren't too many clubs with substantial finds to spend in the transfer market so we're in a good position.

"It's very quiet at the moment, but once Euro 2004 is out of the way I think it will pick up."

The Charlton manager is taking advantage of the slow transfer market by spending this week in Portugal for the European Championships.

But the boss insists he's just taking a busman's holiday.

"I'm not going there to window shop," said Alan. "I'm just going to get a feel for the tournament.

"I'm going to watch countries I've never seen before. I'm just going for a week to enjoy it, as opposed to working."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scoham:

Strange cafc site has the sky fixtures but the sky site doesn't icon_confused.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They got taken off the site pretty quickly icon_biggrin.gif

Probably weren't meant to be up yet, like the Rommedahl story a couple of days ago.

Well i'll put my guesses in for the 7 new faces Curbs is adding to the team photo.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

Stephan Andersen

Talal El-Kakouri

Bryan Hughes

Michael Carrick

Dennis Rommedahl

Mateja Kezman

Robert Earnshaw

I'd be delighted if all of those came icon14.gif

If we got all those I'd think I'd died and gone to heaven

I reckon we'll get

Andersen

El-Karkouri

Rommedahl

Hughes

But I think the real person we need is Kezman

And I really don't know about Carrick and Earnshaw

What do you reckon about Overmars?

He's going to us or Ajax

Yeah actually, if Kezman comes I doubt we'll go for Earnshaw.

Curbs has said they'll definately be at least 6 new players, so whatever happens we're going to have a few more yet.

He also said that he's missed out on a few players he wanted, who do you reckon they could be?

Well if he's missed out it's likely they've gone to someone else, and I can't think of anyone who's gone who are in our league TBH

Sublimefootball.com looks like a good place to get transfer info if anyone's interested

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RedRob:

Well i'll put my guesses in for the 7 new faces Curbs is adding to the team photo.

Stephan Andersen

Talal El-Kakouri

Bryan Hughes

Michael Carrick

Dennis Rommedahl

Mateja Kezman

Robert Earnshaw

I'd be delighted if all of those came icon14.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea something like that would be great, but then again it wouldn't be suprising if there were a few players there we weren't linked with, which we have with all of these.

You need to copy and paste the link to RedRob's site otherwise it comes up with a rather unsavoury message icon_wink.gif

And is that picture real or a job someone's done on a computer?

If I knew it was real, I'd be delighted

Hasn't agreed terms yet. Not over till it's over and all that <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Blind optimism and all that icon_biggrin.gif

I'd love it if you guys signed him, but Chelsea are just getting silly so there's not much you can do...

Gary Rowett has had to retire after playing only 13 times for us

We better get most of the money back for insurance, £3.5 million!

Two central defenders retiring in a month, how unlucky

Now we need El Karkouri, where did he disappear to?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

LAZIO PLAN MOVE FOR DI CANIO

Lazio are planning a surprise move to try and bring Charlton forward Paolo Di Canio back to the Stadio Olimpico.

Di Canio began his career with the Bianconelesti and is fervent supporter of the club.

The former Celtic and Sheffield Wednesday ace has hinted in the past that he would like the chance to end his career with Lazio and they could offer him that chance.

Possible new Lazio coach Andrea Agostinelli has admitted he would like to bring di Canio back to the club and Lazio president Ugo Longo admitted they were keen on the skilful striker.

"This is a possibility that we are investigating," said Longo.

"I think that he has Lazio in his heart and that is what we need at the moment, in a club so confused and torn apart by financial problems."

Any deal looks difficult as Di Canio only recently signed a one-year extension at The Valley, although he would be tempted by a return to his home-town club.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> Reports Sky Sports</pre>

Don't see this happenning myself. Won't be a guarenteed starter, but still is an important player for the club.

Archived