Player Traits

Hope this is the right forum for this as I am very happy with the tactics I am using and what I am trying to do.

However I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction to find out a source where the full list of player traits and more importantly the effect they  have on certain player instructions can be found.

I know exactly what I want each of my players to do but don’t always appreciate the effect a player trait can have. This can be frustrating when you buy a player and then find from the tactic screen that they have a trait that conflicts with the PIs I have set. I then have to try and get him to unlearn it which is not always easy.

I appreciate that in most cases this is obvious but I have been caught out a few times and would like to make sure I avoid this issue.

One example is that I on occasion play with a dlp on defend duty with more direct passing and mark tighter in addition to the defaults of the position. This works well for me but only discovered that dictates tempo conflicts with direct passing after buying the player. When I think about it maybe it’s obvious but didn’t seem so at the time, 

When choosing PIs I want the player to do the PIs I have set more often than not and thus would also like to understand the traits that encourage certain PIs.

Understand that a definitive source may not be available but thought I would ask anyway. If not will keep trying to use common sense which for the most part works!

Why does dictates tempo conflict with direct passing?  Direct passing is about moving the ball forwards and passing length, dictates tempo can help a player decide when to deliver a pass.  Good decision making skills, passing ability and the vision to see the options will all help with that.  Don't confuse dictates tempo with dwells on ball.

Anyway, in terms of your wider question, there are some guides out there however unless they've been written by cleon or rashidi I wouldn't 100% trust them.  By and large they'll be fine and can contain decent info but they'll always be "unofficial" guides and may contain some inaccuracies or conjecture.

Thanks for the response. I am just going by the player instruction screen that has a warning triangle next to my player instruction “more direct passes” that says “instruction affected by player trait” and then indentifies Dictates Tempo as the culprit. Didn’t see it as a problem myself but this would say otherwise. Thanks for the other advice  

8 hours ago, herne79 said:

Why does dictates tempo conflict with direct passing?  Direct passing is about moving the ball forwards and passing length, dictates tempo can help a player decide when to deliver a pass.  Good decision making skills, passing ability and the vision to see the options will all help with that.  Don't confuse dictates tempo with dwells on ball.

I do have seen this conflict in my tactic screen. But I did not give much attention to it though! Could be a UI bug or is there something really conflicting. Guess experts can shed some more light on this...

15 hours ago, loisvale said:

Hope this is the right forum for this as I am very happy with the tactics I am using and what I am trying to do.

However I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction to find out a source where the full list of player traits and more importantly the effect they  have on certain player instructions can be found.

I know exactly what I want each of my players to do but don’t always appreciate the effect a player trait can have. This can be frustrating when you buy a player and then find from the tactic screen that they have a trait that conflicts with the PIs I have set. I then have to try and get him to unlearn it which is not always easy.

I appreciate that in most cases this is obvious but I have been caught out a few times and would like to make sure I avoid this issue.

One example is that I on occasion play with a dlp on defend duty with more direct passing and mark tighter in addition to the defaults of the position. This works well for me but only discovered that dictates tempo conflicts with direct passing after buying the player. When I think about it maybe it’s obvious but didn’t seem so at the time, 

When choosing PIs I want the player to do the PIs I have set more often than not and thus would also like to understand the traits that encourage certain PIs.

Understand that a definitive source may not be available but thought I would ask anyway. If not will keep trying to use common sense which for the most part works!

https://www.guidetofm.com/players/traits

I´m using this site as reference to player traits and I´m using the same tactic as you ( from american football returns topic ) and I made my DLP (d )  learn traits:

- runs with ball rarely ( because of DRIBBLE LESS pi and defend duty )

- stay back at all times ( because of HOLD POSITION pi and defend duty )

- refrain from taking long shots ( because of SHOOT LESS OFTEN pi )

3 hours ago, diimaan said:

I do have seen this conflict in my tactic screen. But I did not give much attention to it though! Could be a UI bug or is there something really conflicting. Guess experts can shed some more light on this...

When you adjust passing length you also adjust tempo.  If a warning flag pops up it's the game saying be aware that this player has the dictates tempo trait therefore he may sometimes decide to pick and choose his own tempo regardless of your tactical instructions.

I find some of the conflicting instructions are a good thing anyway. 

Give a player a winger role and they'll beat their opponent and put crosses in like you want, but they'll also be a bit one dimensional because they'll nearly always go outside their man. But if the player's trained to "cut inside" they'll mix it up by cutting inside a lot, and be a lot harder to defend against

Archived