Encouraging lateral movement from strikers

Any ideas how I can get one of my strikers in a 442 to drift really wide. I know that sounds counter-intuitive as I'm already playing with two wide players, but my thinking is that in theory, this could open space up from my wide-midfielder or CM on that side to run unopposed in the HS.  Here's an example, and although the photo was taken during a counter-attack (can't remember if it was AI generated or not), it should give you an overall idea of the movement I'm looking for. 

941097252_AFWcombo.thumb.png.adbc725a118b661db34bf25dd7c6c6bb.png

Any ideas? Thanks :)

I've used Anthony Martial as STCL in a 442, he has "Cuts Inside From Left Wing" but you still would only see him getting that wide (your screenshot has him right on the touchline) if there was a counter where we'd cleared it down the flank. 

Maybe change your attacking width to the widest possible? Also, using a Winger, which has PIs hardcoded telling him to stick to the flanks and run down them, probably reduces the odds of it too. I'm not sure if this combo is possible but try a WM-At with Move Into Channels? Or an Inverted Winger. 

1 hour ago, Keyzer Soze said:

move into channels + roam from position could help.

This. But you need to keep in mind that the movement you're expecting from the player is an advanced and somewhat counterintuitive play, players in general will naturally converge towards the opposition's box. So there's also the question of that player's attributes - anticipation to identify the opportunity, vision to perceive his teammates movement, decisions and teamwork to pick the option from the alternatives, off the ball to actually execute it. I think a player would need above average ratings in these attributes to expect this kind of play from him.

10 hours ago, jc577 said:

I’m thinking maybe using a player with ‘cuts inside from x flank’ ‘might work, or using a Trequartista.

Cuts inside does nothing for central players, you cannot even train it unless that player can play wide positions as well.

On 16/01/2019 at 00:55, jc577 said:

Any ideas how I can get one of my strikers in a 442 to drift really wide. I know that sounds counter-intuitive as I'm already playing with two wide players, but my thinking is that in theory, this could open space up from my wide-midfielder or CM on that side to run unopposed in the HS.  Here's an example, and although the photo was taken during a counter-attack (can't remember if it was AI generated or not), it should give you an overall idea of the movement I'm looking for. 

941097252_AFWcombo.thumb.png.adbc725a118b661db34bf25dd7c6c6bb.png

Any ideas? Thanks :)

I would like you to post a screenshot of the tactic, in order for us to be able to see it in a more proper context :thup:

11 hours ago, SD said:

Cuts inside does nothing for central players

Not sure about this. I have Gabiadini in Southampton. He can play as a striker and AMR, is left-footed and has the "Cuts inside from the right wing" PPM. I use him occasionally as a CF or DLF on support in the STCR spot with the "Stay wider" PI and it seems to work pretty okay. Btw, my formation is (a bit "weird" 3-2-2-1-2 (2 DMs, 2 WMs and 1 AMC)

Archived