Role Differences: Just PI's or Under the Hood?

Many "roles" are known to be more general roles with hard-coded PI's, i.e. BBM is CM(s) with roaming. But the mechanics behind some other roles are a bit more opaque, and I am never sure if there are any real differences. To bring this out of the abstract, the following are the roles which I have questions about; any clarification would be great.

1) False Nine: does the F9 have real differences in the ME, or is he just a DLF(s) who moves into channels and doesn't hold up ball? 

2) RPM vs Regista: I've read comments on the forums which suggest that the Regista is more direct than the RPM. But the mentality is the same, both are playmakers, and the only PI difference is RPM has dribble more.

As you can see below, on the PI screen below, the passing length visualizer makes it seem as if there is some truth to the 'Regista is more direct' narrative, but I do not know if this is merely the visualizer in conjunction with my team tactics, or if REG genuinely has an increase on passing length. 

470750885_ScreenShot2018-08-15at12_39_54PM.thumb.png.8de9cf7897d52b5b6e5917a8fe5be925.png 

596346452_ScreenShot2018-08-15at12_39_43PM.thumb.png.b83a0070eaa667b765fb2f8c0bd241c7.png

23 minutes ago, Pass and Move said:

Many "roles" are known to be more general roles with hard-coded PI's, i.e. BBM is CM(s) with roaming.

A BBM is not a CM(s) with more roaming added, I don't know where you've picked that up from.  There may be similarities but there are differences.

Lots of roles have more differences that just PIs.  In short, if you want to use a certain role then use that role, not something else and amend the PIs :thup:.

FIrst of all, let me say that I agree with the "descriptions could be better" line of thought. I myself also have topics about this here.

With that being said...

16 hours ago, Pass and Move said:

BBM is CM(s) with roaming

I understand that, in 2 formations with the same shape (or fluidity), the BBM will get closer to both boxes (defending and attacking) than a CM-S, hence the name. On attack, I would guess that BBM and CM-A would be similar.

False Nine: does the F9 have real differences in the ME, or is he just a DLF(s) who moves into channels and doesn't hold up ball? 

I understand that yes. The F9 and the HB are the only 2 roles that move backwards when the team has possession. If you compare with the DLF-S, the F9 should be positioned deeper when beginning an attack.

RPM vs Regista: I've read comments on the forums which suggest that the Regista is more direct than the RPM. But the mentality is the same, both are playmakers, and the only PI difference is RPM has dribble more.

Honestly, this is one that I myself do not see much of a difference. I know that plenty of people here will say that I'm wrong, but this is how I use them: 

- if I need a "roaming playmaker" in the CM stratum, RPM;

- if I need a "roaming playmaker" in the DM stratum paired with another player, offcentre, RPM; 

- if I need a "roaming playmaker" in the DM stratum centered and I want him the be the one and only connection to attack, probably one of the best players on the team, Regista.

As you can see below, on the PI screen below, the passing length visualizer makes it seem as if there is some truth to the 'Regista is more direct' narrative, but I do not know if this is merely the visualizer in conjunction with my team tactics, or if REG genuinely has an increase on passing length. 

Are you comparing them in the same formation, mentality, shape, TIs and stratum? You should. If yes, even more reason to what I said earlier.

Quick side note, without trying to hijack your topic: about the RPM and the "new roles that we want for FM19", one role that I'm trying to recreate is what I call a "deep trequartista", which I know it's a terrible name if you know italian (should be something like mezzista or mezzala?). My inspiration is Iniesta in his prime with Guardiola, when he played in the CM stratum, but with lots of freedom of movement and passing. 

It's something like a RPM-A or an APM-A with roam and get further forward and dribble more, or even Mezzala with more creative freedom.

1 minute ago, thizaum said:

F9 should be positioned deeper when beginning an attack.

I disagree with the terminology, it may be the case in FM (im not sure if it is) but it shouldnt be. 

F9 should behave like a 9 then drop deeper into the hole... DlF should start deeper. 

1 minute ago, westy8chimp said:

I disagree with the terminology, it may be the case in FM (im not sure if it is) but it shouldnt be. 

F9 should behave like a 9 then drop deeper into the hole... DlF should start deeper. 

Well, yes. I've put it wrongly. Thanks, Westy.

The F9 should start the attack as a 9 (higher than a DLF-S) and drop deep (deeper than a DLF-S) during the attack.

hace 5 horas, thizaum dijo:

Quick side note, without trying to hijack your topic: about the RPM and the "new roles that we want for FM19", one role that I'm trying to recreate is what I call a "deep trequartista", which I know it's a terrible name if you know italian (should be something like mezzista or mezzala?). My inspiration is Iniesta in his prime with Guardiola, when he played in the CM stratum, but with lots of freedom of movement and passing. 

It's something like a RPM-A or an APM-A with roam and get further forward and dribble more, or even Mezzala with more creative freedom.

Actually, if I had to give an example of an "FM Mezzala" I'd say that Iniesta fits the role quite nicely. Always thought of him as the prime example of the position in game when giving real life examples of players (I may be wrong tho). 

1 hour ago, okereke said:

Actually, if I had to give an example of an "FM Mezzala" I'd say that Iniesta fits the role quite nicely. Always thought of him as the prime example of the position in game when giving real life examples of players (I may be wrong tho). 

Yes hes the player that comes to mind first for me as well

16 hours ago, okereke said:

Okay, but how do you use him in a 4-3-3 in the same side of an IF and a WB? What if I want a "centralized" mezzala?

Archived