AI Manager firings - they feel random sometimes (but they aren't)

Just me? Some of them don't make any sense. Like the one that I just noticed that prompted this topic. And I don't think this is a bug. I see random things like this all the time. So I'm convinced there is something I'm missing about the logic behind expectations on AI managers.

In this save Chris Hughton had been with Brighton for 9 years, 112 days.

• They got relegated from the PL in 21/22. He didn't get fired.
  • They won the Championship playoffs from 3rd place in 22/23 to come straight back up.
  • Now with 5 games to go in 23/24 season in the PL, they are 12th. Yet he was fired.

Their first season back in the PL, and doing very well. In fact, if they maintain and finish in 12th it will be the best finish for them yet. That just seems, wrong. Why wasn't he fired when they were relegated in 18th? They showed faith then. And the AI couldn't possibly be dumb enough to expect something better than what they are doing now in the first year back, could it? Could be some random ultimatum about X points in X games for some reason, or bad mouthing the board in the media?

I mean there has to be some sort of background logic behind this, that has to make some sense. But I'm just not seeing it. This one just grabs me as random (again I don't think its a bug, it happens quite a bit). I can't see how in real life Brighton fire him in this current situation. Especially after sticking with him for 9 years and through a relegation. What am I missing?

05Ny1N3.png

wVKRUp1.png

B8rKGhZ.png

What was his squad morale like? Had he lost the dressing room? I've noticed PL clubs tend to have a lot of unhappy transfer listed players when they go down, and they don't lower their asking prices so most of them are still there in a couple of seasons. 

If they had a board takeover they may have taken things in a new direction as well.

9 minutes ago, zlatanera said:

What was his squad morale like? Had he lost the dressing room? I've noticed PL clubs tend to have a lot of unhappy transfer listed players when they go down, and they don't lower their asking prices so most of them are still there in a couple of seasons. 

If they had a board takeover they may have taken things in a new direction as well.

You've nailed it on the head with your second statement. They have a Portuguese director now. The entire board is Portuguese in fact. And they hired a manager from Portugal within 5 days, who is also Portuguese. And he seems to have brought of his staff with him who all of the same nationality. It seems like a take over and a plan to change the staff out was in place after the take over.  Looking at that never even crossed my mind. Thanks. So it wasn't random after all. Just a very crappy situation for Hughton.

3 minutes ago, oulzac said:

You've nailed it on the head with your second statement. They have a Portuguese director now. The entire board is Portuguese in fact. And they hired a manager from Portugal within 5 days, who is also Portuguese. And he seems to have brought of his staff with him who all of the same nationality. It seems like a take over and a plan to change the staff out was in place after the take over.  Looking at that never even crossed my mind. Thanks. So it wasn't random after all. Just a very crappy situation for Hughton.

Yeah, it happens in the game. I've been left in the dark about my future after a board takeover at Carlisle (Mexican cartel took us over, I'd taken us from League 2 to the Premiership in three seasons, with some of the same players still in the squad, but apparently that wasn't going to be good enough - I did survive to finish 20th, 1st, 20th before I quit the save though) and Tromsø (back to back CL titles and 100% on our youth-focussed policies meant nothing apparently, even though about 80% the international players in Scandinavia and Iceland were either at, on loan from or deemed not good enough for the club). 

You think that's bad?

As Aston Villa (when they were in the Prem) Graham Taylor took over the board and implied that I needed a successful result in the next match or he'd bring in his own man. Next match? Manchester City, Away. We were over-achieving at the time...

I made a save point there and took two routes:

1. I lost to City (1-2 or something) and got sacked. Aston Villa went in freefall, which I love seeing as a measure of bitter revenge.

2. I draw to City and kept the job. Went on to win the Premier League the next season thanks to two shrewd signings for something like 5million each, which I had no right to be pulling off. I remember the save fondly as I picked up Michael Carrick on a free and it was the first time I got to use the 'talk to player' feature to get around his agent, who was blocking the move. :D

Still... I have a dislike of Mr. Taylor ever since then, not that he'd know in future iterations. When FM implements the ability for us to choose favoured personnel, he's going on the disliked list. :P

2 hours ago, isignedupfornorealreason said:

You think that's bad?

As Aston Villa (when they were in the Prem) Graham Taylor took over the board and implied that I needed a successful result in the next match or he'd bring in his own man. Next match? Manchester City, Away. We were over-achieving at the time...

I made a save point there and took two routes:

1. I lost to City (1-2 or something) and got sacked. Aston Villa went in freefall, which I love seeing as a measure of bitter revenge.

2. I draw to City and kept the job. Went on to win the Premier League the next season thanks to two shrewd signings for something like 5million each, which I had no right to be pulling off. I remember the save fondly as I picked up Michael Carrick on a free and it was the first time I got to use the 'talk to player' feature to get around his agent, who was blocking the move. :D

Still... I have a dislike of Mr. Taylor ever since then, not that he'd know in future iterations. When FM implements the ability for us to choose favoured personnel, he's going on the disliked list. :P

The fact he died earlier this year may mean you won't get your wish ;)

40 minutes ago, michaeltmurrayuk said:

If you go to the League -> Transfers -> Manager Movements screen the game should tell you the actual reason the manager was fired (poor league position, players lost confidence, new job etc...).

It doesn't at the moment, as the season change over has happened. But, would it have said something about a board take over forcing him out?

Also thanks for pointing that out.

On 03/08/2018 at 17:19, zlatanera said:

Tromsø (back to back CL titles and 100% on our youth-focussed policies meant nothing apparently, even though about 80% the international players in Scandinavia and Iceland were either at, on loan from or deemed not good enough for the club). 

Wait, do you mean to say you won two Champion League trophies in a row with a tiny Norwegian club using only players from your youth system??

Or do you mean just young players in general? But still! Either way that's wild.

47 minutes ago, Weston said:

Wait, do you mean to say you won two Champion League trophies in a row with a tiny Norwegian club using only players from your youth system??

Or do you mean just young players in general? But still! Either way that's wild.

Just young players in general. A couple I signed were like 23, but we were spearheaded by a bunch of regens - like when I broke all the national records to sign a striker from Malmo "The next Zlatan Ibrahimovic" who had 8 finishing, scored the 120th minute winner in the first CL win then broke all the records again when going to Juventus for over £30m 2 days later. Or the masses I signed to replace him, and the two Czechs who I bought aged 16 from Sparta Prague, putting £2.5m clauses for winning the CL as part of the deal thinking "never" only to then end up paying them £5m a year later. One of them scored 10 in his debut (a European qualifier, our league ranking compared to the club strength was kinda like Manchester United rocking up in the qualifiers). My own club's regens came out as 5 star potential but were constantly being downgraded as I poached half the youth of the Czech Republic and Scandinavia due to my financial dominance, which is eventually what killed it before I could do Rosenborg's consecutive titles record - I had almost 200 players on the books, over 100 of them at least good enough for my league. 

Yeah its nuts, especially as that was 2020 and 2021 on a save that started January 2016 (but with the winter 2017 transfers which led to a few weird graphical things where players had 3 clubs in their history for 2016 yet didn't play a game). It does make me think Strikerless might have been slightly OP in that one, although I had good young attackers, a defence entirely consisting of real Norwegians like  Petter Strand, Jonas Gronner and Birgir Meling and Runar Espejord as my first choice AM for the first season. 

Also I've just realised that I've only won the CL 4 times on FM - once on FM15 (Real Sociedad) once on FM16 (Lyon, entire squad from my own youth academy in the mid-2020s), and twice on FM17 (back-to-back wins with Tromso) - yet half of those (the Real Sociedad one and the first Tromso one) had 120th minute winners. 

5 minutes ago, zlatanera said:

had 8 finishing, scored the 120th minute winner in the first CL

I'm at a loss for words. I think I'm a pretty good player and last save got myself from the depths of Serie C to a Champions League final in 5 seasons but my fantastic Milan squad lost in extra time to Conte's Monaco and that's the closest I've ever gotten...

52 minutes ago, Weston said:

I'm at a loss for words. I think I'm a pretty good player and last save got myself from the depths of Serie C to a Champions League final in 5 seasons but my fantastic Milan squad lost in extra time to Conte's Monaco and that's the closest I've ever gotten...

Bear in mind this was a downloaded title from strikerless, as were the FM15 and 16 wins (some Mourinho tactic and Passion4FM). I lost a cracker of a final (4-4 and lost on penalties) to Liverpool with a very strong Lyon side using one of Rashidi's tactics on the current game as well. Partially because of the way I play (lots of youth, and before the FM18 overhaul I prided myself on my scouting setups and filters, including one with every Tuscan birthplace I'd found in the game to make Fiorentina into an Athletic Bilbao type club) I tend not to do well in the CL. I'd say my proudest moment with my own tactic was getting three consecutive promotions to the premiership on 16 with a squad that by start of the PL was still only League One quality at best. 

In fact I don't think I've won a European continental trophy with my own tactics, although I did win back-to-back Libertadores with River Plate. I suppose if I go back to my Man United save I should have a shot. Got a Copa Del Rey with Real Sociedad, but the save didn't take off until I took a tactic from these forums and made some tweaks. I read a lot and try to get better at tactics but I've only made one really good one since the promotion run on FM16 I mentioned. 

Archived