Single Striker Systems

Hi Lads, I need an FM nerd here i have been smashing this years FM with a 442 but the thing is i hate 442

I have tried a 4123 with mixed success which was DLF-A with IF-S and WB-A

I have tried a 4231 with mixed success using the same system

DLF-A lacks runs in behind even with an IF-A AP-A

AF-A has the runs but very little else i struggle to create

My TIs Control-Fluid Lower Tempo Play Narrower Close Down More play out of defence Exploit left and right retain possession and look for overlaps

I want to get my crosses in but also use my playmakers as i always have DLP and AP

In my 442 the DLF scored because the AF took defenders off him and vice versa. I cant seem to make that work with 5 midfielders which is really annoying.

Can you please give me some ideas for getting the most out of a lone striker, For example if i play this striker, this this and this needs to happen. Thanks

I tend to favour a 4-1-2-3 wide over the last two or three years, but TBH I have never used a DLF as a lone striker.

If you want to score from crosses, you need bodies in the box, so I generally use a Poacher, AF or CF in that set up. Target Man can be useful too if your IFs and CMs are slow to get there.

Am currently in an AC Milan save, with Silva as a CF, Bonaventura and Suso as IFs and on the right, Conti as FB. Most of my goals come from the right.

Suso is set as IF-S (or Attack if chasing) and also PI to sit narrower, this opens the flank for Conti on FB-A to get forward. 

My CML (Kessie)  is set as either Mezzala or BBM to push forward, so I end up with the striker in the box, the Mezzala and two IFs just outside and heading in to the box as Conti is providing the cross. 

19 hours ago, TottenhamBoi90 said:

My TIs Control-Fluid Lower Tempo Play Narrower Close Down More play out of defence Exploit left and right retain possession and look for overlaps

Whoa there, rather than talking generally lets just look at this combo of instructions considering you talk about wanting runs behind from your ST (DLF/AF etc).

If you expect to so numerous runs from your ST, why are you telling your team to Retain Possession which reduces through balls? Your telling them to play slower which gives opponents time to get back into position to defend those runs.  Why focus passes down the flanks and get the advanced wide players to slow play down and look for overlapping fbs?  Plus your on a risky mentality that pushes you up and your closing down more, which if effective might pin opponents in so little space to make runs into.

I'd recommend having a think about what your expecting the tactic to do and what your actually telling them to do. Then give it a go and post the full setup plus any the issues your seeing.

21 hours ago, TottenhamBoi90 said:

DLF not usually a great lone striker role... but when you play a slow build up (as illustrated by the bold TIs above) it can be an excellent role.

If you find a striker with PPMs like 'holds up the ball' 'drops deeper to get the ball' 'plays one twos' 'plays with back to goal'...it can be lethal at creating chances for IFs/AMs

Petagna is one of my go-to strikers for a DLF/TM/DF role as he has great teamwork and work rate... along with reasonable physical, technical and mentals... and 3 of the PPMs listed above. He comes deep with back to goal and also likes to switch flank...costs between 10&20m so may be out of your price range. Franco Di Santo is similar if your budget is smaller and usually can be found available for loan or on transfer list

I use retain possession because i hate just short or just long passing and they cant score if youve got the ball 60% of the time. Also its balanced possession not just going forward and losing or back and sideways. Its the best TI on the game in my opinion. 

I am trying a 4411 with Lazio now. I went for an eganche and AF which i like so far. The base behind it is the same as my 442 but with a box to box, i think if i push the wingers up i could make this work as 4231 but i havnt done it yet because i am dominating out wide. Immobile seems to me miss alot of chances, i dont get why

Archived