Something Strange Is Going On At FGR

After taking my beloved Bristol City as far as I could thought I would try a new save with Fgr as there my hometown club.

So looking around the squad first thing that hit me was this is going to be a tough gig as there was no money to spend and really only had 3 players that were ok.

A flying winger from W.B.A on loan and 2 strikers in Reid and Doidge and prediction was to finish 21st so not filled with any confidence thought we would keep it simple with a bog standard 4-4-2 and if we made mid table I would be happy.

After 8 games we were 12th and it was one of those tactics where it was ok but could do better moments so after searching the web I came across a interview by Lee Johnson explaining the tactics and how he beat Man Utd in the league cup.

His tactics were to keep it tight and try and make an advantage in the middle of park so he explain he played 2 false nines,overloaded the left hand side of the pitch and on the right played with a very high winger to stretch the play in 4-4-2 formation.

So with a couple of days off I thought could I transfer this to Fgr in fm 2018 with no idea if this would work.

So after studying Lee Johnsons tactic this is what it looked like in fm

GK DEFEND

LEFT WING BACK-ATTACK

2X CB -DEF

FULL BACK-SUPPORT

LEFT MIDFIELD-INVERTED WINGER

DLP-DEF

BOX TO BOX MIDFIELDER-SUPPORT

AMR-WINGER

2X FALSE NINES

TEAM INSTRUCTIONS

STANDARD AND FLEXIBLE

Now I had no idea if this work or not but the results have been just phenomenal and crazy since the change we are unbeaten in 15 games riding high in 3rd place 5 points clear went to Charlton in the second round of the fa cup and won 5-2 and in my last game just beat luton 7-0 after being 5-0 up at half time with 22 shots 14 on target.

Just wondered if people think this is a fluke or is it and ive heard people say that new teams are allowed a lot of space as ai teams look to attack you so there is a lot more space in your first season just wondered what peoples views are?

Looks fairly balanced, natural overlap on left, winger holding width on right with a BBM using space inside and a DLP holding and covering.  Personally I would have more variation than two F9s but depends what you have available. 

Even though he says he had a Winger pushed high, I think he will of been in MR position defensively and would push higher when in possession, a Winger-Attack in FM terms.

Yep that was the position I was a bit unsure of also on my left side do you think it's a bit risky with the wb on attack with the left midfielder cutting in I've watched it on 2d just to checked but I'm not sure 

we have only conceded 29 in 23 games so it doesn't look to bad

4 hours ago, Ciderarmy said:

After taking my beloved Bristol City as far as I could thought I would try a new save with Fgr as there my hometown club.

So looking around the squad first thing that hit me was this is going to be a tough gig as there was no money to spend and really only had 3 players that were ok.

A flying winger from W.B.A on loan and 2 strikers in Reid and Doidge and prediction was to finish 21st so not filled with any confidence thought we would keep it simple with a bog standard 4-4-2 and if we made mid table I would be happy.

After 8 games we were 12th and it was one of those tactics where it was ok but could do better moments so after searching the web I came across a interview by Lee Johnson explaining the tactics and how he beat Man Utd in the league cup.

His tactics were to keep it tight and try and make an advantage in the middle of park so he explain he played 2 false nines,overloaded the left hand side of the pitch and on the right played with a very high winger to stretch the play in 4-4-2 formation.

So with a couple of days off I thought could I transfer this to Fgr in fm 2018 with no idea if this would work.

So after studying Lee Johnsons tactic this is what it looked like in fm

GK DEFEND

LEFT WING BACK-ATTACK

2X CB -DEF

FULL BACK-SUPPORT

LEFT MIDFIELD-INVERTED WINGER

DLP-DEF

BOX TO BOX MIDFIELDER-SUPPORT

AMR-WINGER

2X FALSE NINES

TEAM INSTRUCTIONS

STANDARD AND FLEXIBLE

Now I had no idea if this work or not but the results have been just phenomenal and crazy since the change we are unbeaten in 15 games riding high in 3rd place 5 points clear went to Charlton in the second round of the fa cup and won 5-2 and in my last game just beat luton 7-0 after being 5-0 up at half time with 22 shots 14 on target.

Just wondered if people think this is a fluke or is it and ive heard people say that new teams are allowed a lot of space as ai teams look to attack you so there is a lot more space in your first season just wondered what peoples views are?

Do you use any player instructions?

player instructions are

WB-fewer risky passes,close down more

2X CB -close down less-fewer risky passes

FB-close down more-further forward-stay wide

INVERTED WINGER-further forward-sit narrow-roam from pst-cross less-mark tighter-tack harder-fewer risky passes

DLP-direct passing-more risky pass

BOX TO BOX-get forward more-fewer risky passes

WINGER-mark tight-tackle harder-direct pass

F9 LEFT-mark tighter-tackle harder-short pass

F9 RIGHT mark tighter-tackle harder-more direct passes-shoot more

the left hand side combo is a joy to watch sometimes

Just to update this has been one of the most enjoyable saves I've had with fm 

manage to get fgr promoted to league one with only 7 defeats and some of the link up play has been amazing especially down the left hand side 

not sure how long the good times will last as being fgr nobody wants to come to us but I managed to convince niko kranjcar to sign for us think he's confused who we are

anyway here's to league one survival 

Archived