'Easy' tackling

My understanding is by standing off opposition players your players instructed to do so will benefit in not sacrificing their defensive position by going to ground and potentially failing to tackle and when remaining on their feet they are also available as a passing option which can be useful when counter attacking. In real life, it's a common teaching that full backs should only go to ground as a last ditch thing, close to their goal line, rather than conceding acres of space if they fail to complete a tackle higher up the pitch.

The weakness of this strategy is that opposition players can be instructed to dribble more or play a faster tempo to move the ball around your defence easier, which can drag your players out of position and they can also enjoy greater opportunities to shoot from distance on the edge of the area. In attack your players may also opt not to get stuck in if told to stand off, which may be detrimental if you are in a dead ball situation and need to battle for the ball after it is delivered into the box.

I think it also applies to how likely they will make a tackle.

Hard tackling means they will have a go even with a slim chance of winning the ball.

Medium tackling means they will compete for 50-50 challenges.

Easy tackling means they will only tackle when they are about 75% sure of winning the ball.

Maybe someone can correct me but that's how I've always gauged it. 

I never use the 'easy tackling' OI but I suppose if one of the starting XI is a lot weaker than a substitute in his position, you'll want to encourage the manager to keep him on the pitch! For example a winger who can't cross might have 'show onto [same foot as the wing he's on]' and 'easy tackling'.

On 1/21/2018 at 21:11, anorthernboy said:

I think it also applies to how likely they will make a tackle.

Hard tackling means they will have a go even with a slim chance of winning the ball.

Medium tackling means they will compete for 50-50 challenges.

Easy tackling means they will only tackle when they are about 75% sure of winning the ball.

Maybe someone can correct me but that's how I've always gauged it. 

Sort of, yes. The percentages change with Mentality obviously, but Hard tackling takes more risks than "normal" tackling and that takes more chances in tackles than in Easy.

So, I'd put a poorer tackler (if I don't have another choice) on easy tackling against a better dribbler (comparing my fullback vs their winger, for instance) provided he has the pace to keep up. He'll then only go into a tackle when he's fairly sure of winning it. Otherwise that better dribbler will tear him to pieces.

Archived