Why can't I preorder (again) ?

I've been playing Football Manager for so many years now.
Versions 2012-2017 are in my Steam library and every f******g year the same procedure.

I want to preorder the game and it is NOT possible because YOU tell me that Football Manager is not available in my region ?
Germany is European Union, Germany is Europe
What the hell goes wrong here?

FYI:
EA does not develop any Football Manager anymore

I will buy it anyway (every year AMAZON UK gets one single order from me) but it really leaves me in anger that I am never able to preorder it and get a discount even after so many years where I bought this game again and again and again and ......

6 minutes ago, grade said:

But there was tweet by Miles, that SI might have acquired the licenses for German leagues. But I think it would be for FM19, but not sure.

Yep, it's for FM19, according to SI. 

I've got the same problem here. Every year I have to look for a steam code imported from a web store from anywhere but Germany. Some do sell it to customers in Germany, others don't. Clearly, as the EU is a free market, there are no legal reasons against selling it to someone from Germany. We have free movement of goods and the principle of non-discrimination applies. But this doesn' t help if the web shop has some kind of country barrier.

Nevertheless, in the last four years I managed to find a reseller selling the code including the beta twice: Gameladen.com in 2017 and Green Man Gaming in 2016. The other two years, I had to order the hard copy from amazon.co.uk, arriving some days after official release -- without beta, of cause.

I appreciate any help on this!

Approved retailers should not be selling the game directly to customers in Germany due to local legal restrictions preventing SI from selling the game in Germany, that should mean no access to the pre-release beta & any digital purchase but as ever in the internet there will be retailers who do not block the sale or ways to get round them.

@Barside: This has nothing to do with German laws. It's a problem with Sega/SI and whoever is marketing Bundesliga in Germany (DFB/DFL or so). They couldn't agree on terms to publish the game in Germany. Or more correct: They will do so starting with FM19. As I already mentioned: EU laws explicitly prohibit discrimation of a customer of one member country buying a product in another. It's not illegal to buy FM18 from Germany or to have it here, but Sega/SI agreed on not selling it in Germany.

This thing aside: I just happened to find an approved retailer selling me a pre-purchase version: It's Gamesplanet UK. I already got the steam key, so it should be possible to play the beta from the start.

1 hour ago, Lares Glimmerdiek said:

I've got the same problem here. Every year I have to look for a steam code imported from a web store from anywhere but Germany. Some do sell it to customers in Germany, others don't. Clearly, as the EU is a free market, there are no legal reasons against selling it to someone from Germany. We have free movement of goods and the principle of non-discrimination applies. But this doesn' t help if the web shop has some kind of country barrier.

Nevertheless, in the last four years I managed to find a reseller selling the code including the beta twice: Gameladen.com in 2017 and Green Man Gaming in 2016. The other two years, I had to order the hard copy from amazon.co.uk, arriving some days after official release -- without beta, of cause.

I appreciate any help on this!

51 minutes ago, Lares Glimmerdiek said:

@Barside: This has nothing to do with German laws. It's a problem with Sega/SI and whoever is marketing Bundesliga in Germany (DFB/DFL or so). They couldn't agree on terms to publish the game in Germany. Or more correct: They will do so starting with FM19. As I already mentioned: EU laws explicitly prohibit discrimation of a customer of one member country buying a product in another. It's not illegal to buy FM18 from Germany or to have it here, but Sega/SI agreed on not selling it in Germany.

This thing aside: I just happened to find an approved retailer selling me a pre-purchase version: It's Gamesplanet UK. I already got the steam key, so it should be possible to play the beta from the start.

That EU principle of free movement of goods is irrelevant here. You're right to say that it isn't illegal to buy or own FM in Germany. It IS illegal to publish and therefore to sell the game in Germany without the appropriate licenses, which were previously sold exclusively to EA (despite them not having a dedicated management sim). Sega didn't agree to anything, they just couldn't justify the expense of the license and had to follow your laws. And I certainly wouldn't be advertising on here that an approved retailed is breaking the law considering that if EA/the DFB were to see it (and they likely have a bot that trawls the internet for such things), they'd be within their rights to demand the retailer cancels the sales or faces legal action.

Archived