Selling a retiring player

I am in July. I have a player that is in the last year of his contract who has announced he will retire at the end of the season. He won't make my 25 man squad and is on £110,000 p/w. I can put him on the transfer list but I am unable to offer him out to other clubs as the option is greyed out. Is this because he is retiring? If so, is my only option to try to convince him not to retire, in the hope I can get someone to take him off my hands?

i think the game takes it as 'player will retire at end of contract'. not player will retire on set date necessarily

if you want a old player as a back room staff member, you can buy them pretty cheap from there clubs. the player then retires as a player when starting with your team., even if it is January and his retirement is for June. i have never managed to sign a retiring player as an actual player though. you could try it yourself? save the game, add a manager and see if it is possible to buy the guy. easiest way to know for sure if you can, but like i said never seen it myself

22 hours ago, brookie1402 said:

I get that he may not want to reduce his wage in the last year of his career but it should be my decision to offer him out to clubs.

Sure as manager you can offer him out to other clubs but from the players position:

1. You as he did signed the contract for the weekly wage and the period of time

2. Would you as that player want to accept a smaller wage in your last year of football?

Unless someone offers a better wage, then I expect its unlikely he would want to move and also what clubs would want to take him on at that wage for a single year. Its tough sometimes but put yourself in the position of the player and other clubs and you will see the logic. A better option sometimes when agreeing contracts is to reduce the contract by a year and add the option of a contract extension owned by the club.

I expect he wants to retire because he is not getting game time. There may be an option to ask him to reconsider his retirement ..... ;)

I understand that he may not want to lose out on the money, which is fine, but he may also want to spend his last year in football actually playing. And even so, there should at least be this explanation in game, e.g. a little tool tip pop up when you over over the 'offer to clubs' button which says the player has no intention of leaving so I can't offer the player out.

I've asked him to reconsider retirement and he has rejected this. I like your suggestion of reducing the contract length and adding a +1 year extension though. All in all it is bad planning from me as I was just desperate at the time to get him through the door but I should have given the long term a bit more thought.

Can you not try and suggest a future staff role and then maybe sign him as staff ? Could at least become an option a few months into the season. Pretty sure i did that a few times in 16 with a player agreeing to become a staff member mid-season.

18 hours ago, brookie1402 said:

I understand that he may not want to lose out on the money, which is fine, but he may also want to spend his last year in football actually playing. And even so, there should at least be this explanation in game, e.g. a little tool tip pop up when you over over the 'offer to clubs' button which says the player has no intention of leaving so I can't offer the player out.

I've asked him to reconsider retirement and he has rejected this. I like your suggestion of reducing the contract length and adding a +1 year extension though. All in all it is bad planning from me as I was just desperate at the time to get him through the door but I should have given the long term a bit more thought.

Its only in these situations you get to learn, FM2018 out soon ;). If it helps I've shocked myself I've agreed to a contract with certain clauses. I guess like real life you need to read the small print. The lesson is dont be in a rush

In the players heart I expect  he wants to play football but with short careers money is king so his head will want the money

Archived