Tactical Approach in Lower Level

So i have been having serious difficulty trying to get consistent results in FM17 at lower level...

Level I'm talking about is players with a CA in the range of 65-100.

Typically try to play 4-4-2, but in some games i will dominate and then next week loss by 5 goals, i have also tried 4-2-3-1 again the same issue.

Both systems have wingers, and going forward it can get brilliant but then go 4 games without scoring a goal...

Both Systems generally are wide or normal width...

But then i played a few games in a negative approach 4-1-4-1, with a very similar  approach to two above systems, but were narrow, this approach lead to beating teams whos players have a CA range of 120-145...

I'm not the only person i know who is having trouble getting a tactic to work consistently...

The Match engine seems to be geared towards narrow system, with little to no way to get a system to work with wingers...

I have tried a save with United and found the same issues with tactical inconsistency, but at least at that level you have players who can really change this in a moment...

What is the best approach to get tactical consistency at the level i like to manage at with the current match engine

My experience at lower levels is that it's very handy to outnumber the midfield. In my experience, usually with a defensive midfielder.

I had huge success in India with a 4-1-2-3 DM and a 5-3-2 WB, though my player quality also eclipsed most competition by the end of my 3 years there.  I'm now with Skeid in Norway and continue to do pretty well with the same two formations, with 5-3-2 WB only really being used against weaker clubs.

In Norway I have both set to a counter mentality to keep things a bit tighter and for us to pick our spots.  I secured a league win in Second Division and am sitting second in First Division, fresh off a huge upset against a Premier team in the 4th round of the Norway Cup.

I find this formation tends to have pretty good triangles and keeps my players with options to keep the ball moving, and some speedy forwards can occasionally take advantage of some direct passes from time to time. I overlap my DR as an attacking wingback with my AR cutting inside as an inside forward at the moment, but I have done the same on the opposite side.

My striker is a DLF, and my DM is either a BWM or DLP depending on who is active in my midfield.  I have one MC on support, and one on attack that can sometimes get some nice one twos with my striker for goals.  Against stronger teams I'll have less attacking roles and tend to move them to support to stay behind the ball.  Against weaker teams I work the ball into the box (only TI I use), against stronger teams I'll play more direct and look to hit early crosses as my striker has excellent physical attributes and I hope to get chances on counters.  I sometimes have them close down more aggressively..

25 minutes ago, alanschu14 said:

My experience at lower levels is that it's very handy to outnumber the midfield. In my experience, usually with a defensive midfielder.

I had huge success in India with a 4-1-2-3 DM and a 5-3-2 WB, though my player quality also eclipsed most competition by the end of my 3 years there.  I'm now with Skeid in Norway and continue to do pretty well with the same two formations, with 5-3-2 WB only really being used against weaker clubs.

In Norway I have both set to a counter mentality to keep things a bit tighter and for us to pick our spots.  I secured a league win in Second Division and am sitting second in First Division, fresh off a huge upset against a Premier team in the 4th round of the Norway Cup.

I find this formation tends to have pretty good triangles and keeps my players with options to keep the ball moving, and some speedy forwards can occasionally take advantage of some direct passes from time to time. I overlap my DR as an attacking wingback with my AR cutting inside as an inside forward at the moment, but I have done the same on the opposite side.

My striker is a DLF, and my DM is either a BWM or DLP depending on who is active in my midfield.  I have one MC on support, and one on attack that can sometimes get some nice one twos with my striker for goals.  Against stronger teams I'll have less attacking roles and tend to move them to support to stay behind the ball.  Against weaker teams I work the ball into the box (only TI I use), against stronger teams I'll play more direct and look to hit early crosses as my striker has excellent physical attributes and I hope to get chances on counters.  I sometimes have them close down more aggressively..

The 4-1-2-3 DM

Is that strikerless, with 3 AM or is it 2 Wide 1 Striker

2 wide wingers and 1 striker is how I have used it.

I had pretty decent success with it in FM2016 as well. (although I had my IF on the left side. This will probably also happen again eventually I just have an excellent IF playing right wing at the moment).  Sometimes I put my DLF on Attack if I think the opponent can be exploited by his speed.  I'll pull the left winger to support against tougher sides and maybe move WB-A to support as well and only have my one midfielder on an attack duty.

------ DLF-S ------
W-A ---------- IF-S
--- CM-S - CM-A ---
------ DLP-S ------
FB-S CB-D CB-D WB-A

Sometimes I use BWM-S as my DM yes. I have mixed results too but not enough sample size.

In the past I have also used Anchor and Half-Back in that role and still found some success as well (though I think Half-back might do unexpected things if you know you're football... but I don't and it kinda meant that on defense I seemed to have effectively 3 centerbacks on defense)

I'm using a DLP-S right now because I have a pretty quality passer playing that role right now and he seems to do a good job of distributing the ball around.  Sometimes I move him up to the midfield strata and switch to an AP role if I need a bit more bodies up when pushing for a goal.

I tend to test in LL with Ebbsfleet, good team for V South.

I always use same tactic as I would use with Spurs.  For me Strikerless are the best performing this year (won league with 104 pts), but should comfortable win league with 451 4231 or 442 at around 100pts. Some of the tactics are very heavy on TIs, and I also often use BMWs.

I would stress that this is a top team, and the narrow tactics may be better with teams lower down the league

2 hours ago, A_Sober_Paddy said:

Cheers, 

Do you try and limit your TI's at this level....Sorry for all the questions, the last FM I play with any consistency was FM14

No worries about questions!

I also try to limit my TI's based on reading other people such as @Rashidi and @herne79 on this forum. I used to overthink my TI, but I opted to keep things simple with a basic shape and mentality and then watch how some games went from there.  Depending on what I was seeing I would tweak things up.  I learned that against less pressing teams that it was useful to work the ball into the box with nice overlaps from IF and CM-A.  If they are a more powerful team I make my roles more conservative and seek to hit counter attacking opportunities.

Most of my learning came from FM16 when I took a team from Vanarama South up to EPL.  Moves up to CH league were mostly carried by me aggressively looking for CH/PL level loaners for my club so I would beat teams primarily with superior players. Once I got to CH League I moved away from 4-4-2 and started playing around with 4-1-2-3 DM and 4-2-3-1 Wide formations.  4-1-2-3 DM quickly became my preferred formation especially when facing 2 strikers to help clog the middle.

With FM17 I kept that in N.Ireland lowest league, with a move to India and now in Norway and it's held up.  I just won two upsets in the Norway Cup that have moved me into the semi-final.  I'm in first division and upset a low ranking Premier League team 3-0 in the 4th round, and held on to beat a top 3 Premier League team in the quarter final to win 1-0 AET in a match that had me biting my nails!  As luck would have it I'm faced off against another First Division cinderella team in the semi-final so I'm actually pretty optimistic about my chances of making the final and collecting the huge payday (I will laugh if I qualify for Euro Cup too lol) that will go a long way to helping my club out!

Archived