[Discussion] Revision of player instructions of DCs

ademjh

In no small part down to the emergence of the trend of a 3-man defence across Europe this season, I believe a revision of the player instructions of DCs may be due.

Currently, the Libero is the only role that allows the defender to adopt a midfield position when the team has possession. However, whilst a Libero ventures forward and steps into midfield in possession, he adopts the role of a conventional sweeper in defence - he "drops behind the defensive line, aiming to sweep up through balls, pick up extra attackers and make goal saving tackles, blocks and interceptions. His exceptional athleticism and reading of the game enable him to cover for defensive errors, take possession of loose balls from a deep position and secure possession.".

Significantly, this means that in order to play with a central defensive player who steps into midfield when in possession, you are limited to only being able to deploy a Libero - a player who also adopts the deeper role of a sweeper in defensive situations - something which I don't believe is suitable to or realistic of certain systems in today's day and age.

Therefore, I think the addition of a 'Get Further Forward' player instruction to Central Defenders and Ball Playing Defenders of all duties would be greatly beneficial. This would allow for greater choice of and control over how the DC acts in the defensive phase - for example, a Ball Playing Defender with the 'Get Further Forward' instruction would act as a Libero would in possession, but as a normal DC would on whatever duty they are deployed as when in the defensive phase. I believe this is only realistic, as not all central defenders who roam into midfield in possession are necessarily sweepers in defence.

In basic terms, this would allow for a realistic 'hybrid' of a Libero and Central Defender/Ball Playing Defender that exists in many 3-man defences in 2017 - a defender who ventures forward into midfield in possession, but remains as a DC in defence, rather than a sweeper.

• 1 year later...

Archived