Marko Mäkelä's Marvelous Journey

tastaiwan

A second attempt at what I was beginning to do in my previous save, I'll be looking to take countries to win the World Cup and using clubs on the way to strengthen the players available to me. The club will be located inside the country I choose to lead, and I want to get straight into it. There aren't many guidelines, it's relatively open-ended. Marko Mäkelä, my host for this save, will be starting in my favorite country in the entire world...

Image result for finland logo

Image result for fc lahti logo

xB3uNEw.jpg

js1ZEhB.jpg

Squad:

Santeri Pakkanen

Alexandr Vasyutin

Mikko Hauhia

Kalle Taimi

Mikael Salimaki

Igor Jovanovic

Hassan Sesay

Timo Tuominen

Pyry Karkkainen

Ibrahim Kose

Joona Tapani

Kaarlo Rantanen

Aleksi Paananen

Hendrik Helmke

Pavel Osipov

Loorents Hertsi

Fareed Sadat

Mikko Kuningas

Santeri Hostikka

Pavel Nazimov

Robin Saastamoinen

Jens Tanskanen

Jasse Tuominen

rM70EVR.jpg

Jabruary 2016

Well...not really sure what's happened here but I've had a smashing start to the Finnish season, starting with the League Cup.

f7KTRA1.jpg

Undefeated, haven't even drawn. I'm not sure who I know this unbelievable string of results, but I'm in the League Cup final, and I'm $170,000 in debt two months in so I could use some money.

kjm2AmE.jpg

Marpril 2016

GhhGgcM.jpg

More or less what I expected, Switzerland's going to be running circles around us, so I don't really have a problem with any of this. I'm happy Pohjanpalo got one in the net.

ao4yNYC.jpg

We've won the Liigacup, although the prize money was less than impressive. We're still dreadfully in the red. The Veikkausliiga has started out as a relative success, with two wins in the bag already raising us above our predicted 7th place finish. The Suomen Cup is going to be a challenge, as virtually all my players are cup-tied. I had to dig deep into my B Team to put something together.

WgKamj7.jpg

Mune 2016

9R6BzR7.jpg

vZr9wei.jpg

A good baseline for the beginning of the year. Worse than the Swiss, better than the Tunisians, and...equal to the Liechtensteiners? I thought we'd do a little better than that but I guess my hopes were betrayed. Short-term goal: Domestic dominance with FC Lahti, improve youth recruitment, training, and scouting.

ptjeNqn.jpg

Tactics have been serving me very well so far. The JT duo have been serving me extremely well, scoring goal after goal and putting us in a strong position in the league. We also somehow manage to move on in the Suomen Cup despite playing mostly 17-19 year olds.

nzVbiGt.jpg

Septober 2016

fzVjPtD.jpg

kfWvW3z.jpg

WI5lZrp.jpg

I think we did alright. Croatia was expected to win, so when they did I wasn't too upset. The squad was definitely complaining about it, they have very high expectations for themselves. Typical Finns. That win against Turkey was incredible, I didn't expect to do anywhere that well. Experimenting with formations, I settled one something like a 4-1-3-2 DM, and it seemed to work out. Tim Sparv has got to be one of my favourite players around. For the portion of the save, at the end of the Nocember update I'll put the Finnish squad as well as the FC Lahti squad. That'll give a good season by season update of both teams.

NOAYPh6.jpg

The season ends with two resounding wins over Mariehamn and KuPS, keeping us barely ahead of FC Inter Turku.

evXpXQY.jpg

Our end of season form clinches the title, and my first season in ends with a trophy! We still don't have any more, the Champions League might get us a fraction of a million, but we need to win another season if we want to stay on top next season. We have an additional $100k in wages to spend, but no transfer budget, so we'll be targeting those free transfers. Experimenting with different formations and our best players in their best positions, it looks like the most important positions to fill our center back and right back. After that we'll look to bring in the best signing we can to give a good quality boost. It's key for me to remember that domestic dominance must come before youth recruitment, or else the system falls apart. I've suffered that lesson many times.

End of 2016

zYewTqQ.jpg

2hBaVkF.jpg

Two games that were a lot more difficult than I would have preferred. Definitely something that requires a lot of work.

Finland Nation Overview

We find ourselves at Rank 54 at the end of the year. A ton of work to do to get...really anywhere.

Finland Squad

qGLp5Nm.jpg

It's unlikely that we find our way into the World Cup, but I can still have dreams.

H0og3Ok.jpg

How this year's games went for Finland, I see a lot of quality performances but also a lot of questionable games. Would love to clean up consistency.

JDwX4Jt.jpg

We've made some money but I still expect to be in a bad place until the Champions League. It is imperative we do well in the Champions League, which is why I'm bringing in so many loan players. Worry about performances and money first, then I can get myself some real players.

UqOfQEb.jpg

Key Players

Matheus Phillipe

Matias Nani

Pyry Karkkainen

Alex Kral

Hendrik Helmke

Mikko Kuningas

Jasse Tuominen

Nemanja Ivanovic

13 minutes ago, saintrainhard said:

Great start, keep updated about your journey. Hm, I want to know how do you post the image in full width of the post... because when I post the image, image option seem make restriction just for around 500 pixel

Wherever you upload the pic, right click on it and choose copy image. Then just paste it into your post. It should be full width.

Great job in the league. You seem to have a solid base with Finland too. Your performances can only get better and I'd say you have a chance of qualifying. 

@saintrainhard Thanks! I'm liking the six updates per year format, not nearly as crowded as the monthly. Hopefully the good times keep on rollin'.

@Keano16 If we can replicate that 4-0, I'd say the chances of qualification exist. What a way to start the journey though, getting into the first World Cup? Would love that.

January/February 2017

gIXv8eT.jpg

8GDpVIF.jpg

Only the Suomen Cup and preseason so far, we advance from the group stage. I made the same mistake last year where I let my good players play the first game for FC Lahti Ak. (Group 1), and that made them cup-tied and they couldn't play for me. So right now I'm not doing so hot. I'll have to survive with a team made of almost entirely academy players. Wish me luck...I need to remember not to make the fitness-lacking available for those games.

March/April 2017

Finland 2-0 Kosovo

That result puts us top of the World Cup Qualification Group! There's still several games to go, so we're treading lightly, but exciting stuff here!

QOGAIWK.jpg

Settled on a tactic, and it's going well. It wasn't quite good enough to bring down FC Inter Turku, but I do think we have the best players in the league thanks to the loan signings we brought in. I think we're on track for top two in the league.

pC2uzgs.jpg

May/June 2017

crCsV8A.jpg

wVKQss3.jpg

We had an incredibly tough game against Croatia, and nothing we did could give an honest challenge to them. Georgia's ranking is over twice ours, so that draw is really disappointing. Hopefully the next round of fixtures is more fruitful.

fuQzd42.jpg

We've been alright so far...Jasse Tuominen is having a laugh, he's on a ridiculous hotstreak right now. In our draw against IFK Mariehamm, Marcio and Alex Kral both got red cards in the 35th minute, so those two late goals are a godsend, we deserved to be clobbered. Both players, Kral and Marcio, are loan players, so I couldn't fine them. Bastards.

kmptH3o.jpg

July/August 2017

kIEyFP4.jpg

I guess I'll see ya later buddy... :( I don't know why Bologna would want him, I don't think he's good enough to play a ton there, but I had to let him go. On the other hand, we have $6 million in the bank right now because of Champions League, so there's the good news.

wzAMOR0.jpg

Quite a drastic drop of form since the beginning of the season, would be chuffed to bits if we wen back on a win streak.

HiAcMIs.jpg

Zorya is doable, although I think Gent and Lyon will take this group by the scruff of the neck.

ilJ7M09.jpg

Lots of games in hand, I think we're doing alright.

September/October 2017

mJb0we0.jpg

A wonderful end to the season sees us retake the lead in the league and eventually win the title, a great second year in a row.

D2g3i0s.jpg

Players are very interested in joining our team now (at least more than last year), but a majority of them are foreigners. I've arranged deals for five Finnish youth prospects, so things are going well on that side of things, but I also want to bring in one or two players that would be one of the best on our team, a transfer policy I try to follow every off-season transfer window. We'll see if I stay in Finland for that or if I need to look abroad, but in the spirit of the save I'm thinking close to home.

November/December 2017

15WDmV9.jpg

Sad that I was passing this up, Norway is also one of my favorite nations in the world (Finland, Norway, Switzerland), and they're quite a bit better at football than Finland. I've already gotten quite a bit of progress though at FC Lahti, so it'd be pointless to move this early.

tniFUMg.jpg

6ttGwc8.jpg

FC Lahti overview is coming next update, after the transfer window gets underway.

Archived