[FM Editor 17] Research: new nation, regens, youth intake, languages, player names

Watakushi

Ok, there are a couple of guides how to create a custom nation in FM, so this topic is not about it.

Let's say, we already created a custom nation by editing a famous "Pre-1922 Ireland". We will call our nation "X-Nation" from now on.

Now we decide that our X-Nation will be fantasy one, which resides on a newly created piece of land. A big archipelago in the Asia, just maybe a little bit east of Japan and Sakhalin Island.

So far so good, now we going to set "Continent" of "X-Nation" to East Asia, choose currency (whatever you like, no matter).

Creating backstory:

X-Nation was formed by people of Russia East and Japan North. Secretly they developed a way to rise a land from ocean depths (whatever) to create a new nation where they can escape hostility and politics of the other world and offer a true safe spot on the Earth for everyone.

Lore-wise, this young nation should use a mixture of RU and JP languages throughout all archipelago with a dominant EN as a common language for everyone. Logically, we are setting "Languages" tab in editor to:

English - 100

Japanese - 50

Russian - 50

This will represent a portion of people knowing their first language (RU or JP) and everyone speaking EN as official one.

Geography:

In the center of archipelago the Center City is located. It is the true definition of globalization idea. Mixture of styles, culteres, languages, people, fashion and ideas. This is the capital of the whole X-Nation,  the biggest megapolis holding it's ideas.

Creating a new city. Center City will be the name, choose appropriate lat and long, 10mln - 20mln population, choose weather (any). Attraction - 11. Language - English.

But, we miss a region! Let's create a Center Region for our capital. Setting it to X-Nation, population 18mln. Languages:

English - 100

Japanese - 50

Russian - 50

Now we set our Center City to Center Region and it's done. 

Not enough cities and regions! We decide that our X-Nation likes the idea of globalization the most, but is also understands that they need to preserve their original culture!

So, we are creating a region for each native language we have.

JP Region and RU Region, each has aboth 5mln people residing, and the only language spoken there is native language. So we are setting

Russian - 100 for RU Region

Japanese - 100 for JP Region

Lore-wise, we can explain those regions also used as adaptation zones for immigrants, so each region has only it's native language.

Now, for each of 2 regions we create some cities, let's say... 3 for each. RU City 1, 2, 3. JP City 1, 2, 3. All of them have identical stats in Editor: 1mln - 2.5mln population, 10 attraction, region language, but different coordinates.

"Hey, and what about football?" - someone is asking.

Ok, we are getting there!

This beatiful game is used by X-Nation to sing all over the world about their safe spot! How? The X-Nation has NO LEAGUES, that's how!

The capital city (Centre City) has its own club. We will call it FC X-City. This club has a stadium in the Centre City, but participates in no active leagues. We will leave it as a placeholder for now.

Each region has it's own club too, and a stadium in one of the regional cities respectively. Aaaaaand! Those clubs participate on the low leagues of original nations! 

FC RU City plays somewhere in Russian Third League, FC JP City plays somewhere in Japanese Third League, but both clubs still reside and train on the X-Nation grounds.

We are getting closer to the point where the game slaps me in a face and spits all over my crying body.

As I see it - FC RU City plays through Russian divisions, maybe getting promotions. Same for FC JP City.

ALL of the regens and youth intake for FC RU City should have X-Nation nationality. Working as intended, no questions. They play in their home nation, and local kids born here go through local academies.

MOST (if not ALL) of the regens and youth intake for FC RU City should have one of the RU Cities (1,2,3) as their place of birth and have Russan names/surnames. Same for JP counterparts.

HELL NO THEY ARE NOT!!!

The game decides to use FIRST LANGUAGE used for the WHOLE NATION as the base for names. For example, setting 

Russian - 50

English - 100

Japanese - 50

Gets me all of Victor, Ivan, Oleg, etc names for BOTH Russian and Japanese region clubs!

Setting

English - 100

Russian - 50

Japanese - 50

Gets me Billy, John, Kevin, etc named for BOTH Russian and Japanese region clubs!

In both cases, I have NO control over surnames. Most of them use EAST ASIA database, so I am getting Kim, Lee, Shimada, Kyota, etc - a mixture of Korean, Chinese, Japanese names, maybe with like 5-10% of them are Russian surnames and another 5-10% English (or Ireland from pre-1922 database)

This system SHOULD work - USA nation has English and Spain as languages and about 80% to 20% names and surnames English and Spain. But not for my nation!!

And futhermore - each of the regens, all thousand of them simulated in a game, have ONLY ONE birth place. Centre City, the capital. Setting capital to "none" in editor still gives the same birth place for EVERYONE.

This is SO INFURIATING, I can't even...

AAARGHHH

On 2017-04-25 at 00:35, Watakushi said:

This system SHOULD work - USA nation has English and Spain as languages and about 80% to 20% names and surnames English and Spain. But not for my nation!!

And futhermore - each of the regens, all thousand of them simulated in a game, have ONLY ONE birth place. Centre City, the capital. Setting capital to "none" in editor still gives the same birth place for EVERYONE.

The US regens are assigned a language randomly. You'd expect Hispanic guys spread all over the country with a focus on South Texas and California but that's not how it works. Not even if you edit to correctly set certain towns(such as Laredo or Brownsville in Texas or Santa Ana in California) to have Spanish as the language. 

I've experimented with South Africa where if you assign the African languages to a neighbour nation the players from the towns that use those languages will use the names from those countries. Players with Afrikaans or English will draw their names from the entire South African pool of names. The ethnicity/race of the players appears to be random. 

On 26.04.2017 at 22:52, Fredrik said:

The US regens are assigned a language randomly. You'd expect Hispanic guys spread all over the country with a focus on South Texas and California but that's not how it works. Not even if you edit to correctly set certain towns(such as Laredo or Brownsville in Texas or Santa Ana in California) to have Spanish as the language. 

I've experimented with South Africa where if you assign the African languages to a neighbour nation the players from the towns that use those languages will use the names from those countries. Players with Afrikaans or English will draw their names from the entire South African pool of names. The ethnicity/race of the players appears to be random. 

That's strange, from what I have tested with my X-Nation, if you are to create a Spanish-speaking region and Spanish-speaking city in the USA, you gonna get a lot of Spanish regens in the club associated with that city. Futhermore, my JP City regens got asian faces, and RU City regens got european ones.

Interesting. In the USA example, there are 2 main languages in the country: English (100) and Spanish (100).

Then, there are no language settings in Local Regions and Cities. So I assume, every region and city takes language distribution from country settings, having the same English-Spain everywhere.

So, I tried setting San Jose club from MLS to Spanish. I made its home city Santa Clara speak Spanish, then changed language for the whole local region (California). After this, deleted all playes from San  Jose club and started new game to see some regens.

That's what I got with default settings

5904307873ce1_sanjosedefault.thumb.png.02f4c54082f07d698f7572ec90ccdba6.png 59043077695f4_sanjosedefault2.thumb.png.80a0362d426ed08e38dda79c7c857cba.png

Some Spanish, mostly English. After changing to Spanish (Santa Clara + California)

590430ad83cff_sanjosespain.thumb.png.3e0af2ff7495929e3631bed7e34dfb89.png 590430aca8d79_sanjosespain2.thumb.png.149eba4c96200331c395368070dd230f.png

I suppose you are getting more spanish regens with those settings, maybe needs more testing, if only there was a way to quickly simulate a lot of regens for clubs.

Other California cities stayed with no language specified so I am not sure if those are gonna take language based on California settings (Spanish) or whole USA (English, Spanish).

One thing i am almost 99% certain: Regen names and surnames are influenced MOSTLY by first language set for the country almost everywhere, but when I created my custom X-Nation from CIS, I managed to get all-Japanese regens in the club with city set to Japanese, while main and first language for the country was English.

• 2 years later...

This topic has been largely dormant, but as somebody who experimented A LOT with these stuff in this year's save, I want to point out to anyone who stumbles upon this article that player names depend on nations too. For some countries, such as China, USA, and Belgium (as per my personal experience), it is very difficult to make the regens have different language names, whereas most other countries (Korea or Kuwait for example) simply changing the city's name would suffice. I guess for some countries the developers just decided to hard code some stuff involved in regen naming

• 11 months later...

The tried and true way to do this is to pick an existing region of a small country that will give you closer to the regens name you want. So instead of moving the region to your fictional nation, you leave the region in the host country and it'll give them your nationality, but they'll come from the host country. Colonies work really well for this, because they don't usually adopt the nationality of the main country [and the ones that do, aren't that good anyway.]