Defensive frailties vs FC Barcelona

Hi all,

I have been playing FM for a few years now, and am confident on my natural instinct when it comes to the attacking phase, even the transition phase. Basically, on the ball, I am confident. Defensively, however, I always feel I lack knowledge, clueless is a strong word, but I could definitely use some help. 

I've recently started a save with Valencia, and have had a decent start. 0-0 Alaves, 4-1 Bilbao, 4-1 Eibar, and then I came up against Barcelona at the Nou Camp. This is my tactic going into the game;

58d2d4641257a_ScreenShot2017-03-19at17_04_14.thumb.png.3d284e7bdaaceb4a6ceab531423da8f9.png

My aim is to play safe on the ball, keeping the ball as we travel up the pitch, and both CMs have PI to get further forward so once we are ready, they will look to make runs ahead of Zaza, and wingbacks will overlap. Worked wonders vs Bilbao and Eibar, with both Parejo and Perez getting in team of the week. 

The game went disastrously. We had almost nothing going forward, however, looking forward, I am confident myself on fixing those issues. We lost 5-0. It is not the fact we lost that I want help, it was the issues that led to the goals, because I do not know how I would fix them. I am not necessarily looking for answers, but pointers, a second opinion. I was making notes on the goals as I was watching the game. I will attach the pkm, and will enter the notes. Thanks.

1st goal - nothing penalty. 
2nd goal, Messi cuts inside, Gaya follows him, fair enough, however Orellana doesn't track Robertos run, who crosses in for Suarez but ball rebounds to Neymar because Nani has already started running away, assuming because the ball hit Garay and therefore Nani thinks we have the ball. How do I get Orellana to track back? He is on attack duty in AML. 
3rd goal, again Orellana not tracking Roberto, free cross, and Suarez unmarked in the box, despite Garay and Abdennour not marking anyone. 8 of our players in the box and 3 of theirs. What can I do to prevent Suarez being open? 
4th goal, Cancelo caught forward, Neymar in space, and passes to Suarez. Suarez is in a lot of space despite, again, both Garay and Abdennour being back. We win the ball back. But should I mark Suarez tighter? Or man mark? I worry about his off the ball movement if I were to mark him tightly and fear gaps would be exploited if I man marked. 
Neymar ends up on the ball, 4 men around him, and picks out Messi on the right wing, with a 10 yard radius of space around him. Should I instruct Gaya to man mark him or just Mark him tighter? Messi skins Gaya and fires in, not a lot you can do to stop that I guess.
5th goal, we defend fairly well, showing Messi onto his right foot down the right wing, he still pokes a cross past Gaya, and again Suarez gets to the ball ahead of Abdennour and Garay 2 yards from goal. Solutions!?Barcelona v Valencia.pkm

An AML on attack duty doesn't track back as much. To do that, you may need to change his duty and maybe make him man mark the fullback.

I will be cautious about closing down too much as it could leave you too exposed against a good team like Barca. You can consider using your front 3(or + the most advanced CM) to close down while the rest of the team can hold their position and shape abit more.

Thanks for your reply, it makes sense that changing the AMLs duty would make him track back more, but wouldn't this take away from any threat id have? 

I would usually only close down with men past CMs against such a good side but I thought it'd work giving their players less time on the ball, turns out they don't need it! 

But you need someone to help out on the left flank so you will have to make a decision. If you can't even stop the goals, then you will need to outscore them. Is your team good enough for that now?

I fully understand your point, but I'm not confident enough defensively to realistically think I'm capable of a clean sheet vs Barca, therefore I know I'll need to score, even if I would be happy with a draw. Therefore imo taking away my attacking options is essentially waving a white flag and settling for a defeat by a couple goals.

Archived